Biggest rip-off album you've seen?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TheLazenby, Jun 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Those are actually vintage recordings of Clapton,Page, and Beck. A good collection of them was compiled on a double album called White Boy Blues Volume 2 (in a series of albums called Compleat Collection, all British artists, mainly culled from the Immediate label).

JulesRules and petem1966 like this.
  2. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Different album. The one with the remixes may be out of print.

3. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

4. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

It's missing the last 2 songs on the Willard album ("Great White Cathedrals" and "Marshall Wind") simply because including them would have exceeded the time restrictions on one CD.

5. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I kind of admire whoever came up with that "Best Of The Beatles" one (was it Pete?). That's kind of clever.

6. Smxx777

Smxx777 Forum Resident

All those 2000s Lennon official compilations - the same songs in various orders - every time.
    And John Lennon's remasters from 2004-2006. First in the remaster series, Imagine, POB, Double Fantasy, Milk and Honey, Mind Games were perfect - great booklets with previously unseen photos, great accurate bonus tracks. But after that - Rock N Roll, Sometime In NYC, Walls & Bridges almost similar to late 1980s CD design inside + no really interesting bonus material.

7. buzzzx

buzzzx Forum Resident

My God, I thimk even I could do better than that. Couldn't he have listened to the song just once to get an idea?

Drifter and geo50000 like this.
  8. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Well, thanks to his self-imposed "retirement" John only had so many big hits.

9. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

What's the name of that Chuck Berry lp with all re-recordings? Luckily it only set me back $1.99 at goodwill. Bleah!

10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Chuck Berry's Golden Hits.

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Hits-Chuck-Berry/dp/B000001FEQ

From listening to the samples not only does it sound bad, it sounds drenched in reverb as if it was recorded in a bathroom or something! Ick!

Anyone looking for a Chuck Berry compilation just get The Definitive Collection instead:

http://www.amazon.com/Chuck-Berry-D...F8&qid=1438472349&sr=8-1&keywords=chuck+berry

It's much better and contains all original versions!

dino77 and geo50000 like this.
  11. One big rip-off, though it contains more than one CD, is the early Rolling Stones catalog on CD. With both the U.S. and U.K. albums issued needed for everything, they could instead have chose one country, say England, and made that the main disc, with bonus tracks from the U.S. albums that were from the released counterpart/alternate album, and they would have fit in. It's a rip-off to fans, what they did.

12. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The Rolling Stones releasing product to squeeze money out of fans?!

The hell you say! :)

13. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

When I was at the Exchange today, they had a Jimi Hendrix LP called "16 Greatest Hits."

Except the entire LP was either Lonnie Youngblood/Herman Hitson crap or the retitled Scene Club material ("Whoa Eeh").

Moonbeam Skies and dino77 like this.
  14. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

It sounds like they knocked 'em all off in one take. The drummer doesn't seem to have heard the songs beforehand.

15. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

RE: The Chuck Berry 1969 re-recording done for Mercury.

I wouldn't be surprised if you were absolutely right! :( And they had the nerve to re-release it on CD!

geo50000 likes this.
  16. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

The tambourine makes everything all right. ;)

geo50000 likes this.
  17. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Davy agrees!

[​IMG]

goodiesguy and Drifter like this.
  18. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Rupe33 and Jarleboy like this.
  19. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

Was this recorded after guitarist Robert Buck died? I'll have to look for this, I liked the John & Mary records. If Natalie is not on the record, it's a dyck move to put her picture on the cover.

20. Farmer Mike

That is awesome! Did it come with a bonus packet of ramen noodles?

21. Farmer Mike

At the time of release some asshat at E.M.I., who went un-named in the Billboard column, made a point to say it was important to be "historically accurate" by a putting out a 2 cd set and that people were getting some of the best pop music ever recorded and they should shut up and pay up. Never mind that they'd put out both the "Red" and "Blue" on one cassette. I suppose it is "historically accurate" to shaft the fans.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
    goodiesguy, Dondy, JulesRules and 3 others like this.
  22. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I just got suckered today, and I should have known better! I bought a Sonny amd Cher hits album on vinyl issued by Pickwick, but it did say the songs were licensed from MCA and the cover was of decent quality, as if issued by a major label. I get it home and the big hits are crappy live versions, which of course is mentioned no where on the cover. Curious thing is that All I Ever Need is You is the album version, and it is actually a better pressing than the MCA garbage vinyl issued during the 70's. Guess Pickwick paid the big money to license a couple songs and then paid next to nothing for the live versions. Surprised artists put up with that nonsense. Nothing but a big rip off.

23. Farmer Mike

Most artists have no say and are usually unaware of how things are licensed and how they are presented after they are licensed. Unless they they give their management strict marching orders on these deals and they can decline offers per their contract, they are gonna cash the check and move on.

24. noyoucmon

noyoucmon Forum Resident

Not sure re: Buck, but that's not even Natalie on the cover...but I'd wager the band's big fans from the '90s don't know that they now have a different singer. This series is a mess all around!

25. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

To me the biggest rip-off going is the re-release of 'classic' Rap albums from the 80's and 90's on vinyl and going for $35 a pop and up retail. This is one of the main things that really soured me on this recent vinyl boom. I love me some Ice Cube but I am not going to blow $35 on a copy of 'Death Certificate' just because it has a lenticular cover. Honestly, I don't know who would...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.