Bill Bruford Box Set: "Seems Like A Lifetime Ago 1977-1980"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Olias of Sunhill, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've heard some whispers about this, but it's now available for preorder from Burning Shed. Instant preorder for me... I have poor vinyl copies of these, and this set looks to be a significant upgrade.

---

Containing the collected works of Bruford on one extraordinary 6cd/2dvd-a box set, Seems Like A Lifetime Ago is a magnificent testament to one of the UK's most inventive and important bands.

Featuring 2017 remastered versions of the albums Feels Good To Me (1978), One Of A Kind (1979), The Bruford Tapes (1979), and Gradually Going Tornado (1980), the set additionally includes the previously unreleased Live At The Venue, 1980 and the highly sought after 4th Album Rehearsal Sessions (also from 1980).

Showcasing the prodigious talents of Bill Bruford, Dave Stewart, the late Allan Holdsworth (who the album is dedicated to), Jeff Berlin and The 'Unknown' John Clark, the set includes a 16 page colour booklet (including band interviews and an essay written by Sid Smith), a reproduction concert poster, two black and white photo prints of the band, and a signed and numbered certificate of authentication.

Feels Good To Me and One Of A Kind are available on both remastered CD and DVD-a, the latter featuring 2017 5.1 mixes by Jakko Jakszyk.

RangerXT, chrisblower, FVDnz and 12 others like this.
  2. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Wow, never thought I would see 5.1 mixes of Bill Bruford solo albums.

3. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

great title. and 5.1 someone is smart. pushed me over the line.

4. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Very tempting ... I'll be watching comments in this thread to see whether people feel the set to be worth the cost.

William Smart likes this.
  5. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident Thread Starter

Same here. I would have ordered this set even if it was only good 2017 remasters, bonus material and a nice book. But the 5.1 mixes are a compelling addition.

William Smart and fredblue like this.
  6. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I was spring-loaded and ready to sprint away from this.

And then I saw... 5.1

:help:

7. varitone

varitone Forum Resident

Interested.

8. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I've actually managed to get through life without owning any of the3se titles.

Until now. :D

9. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I think I'm all set with my old E'G CDs of Feels Good To Me, One of a Kind and Gradually Going Tornado. Unless people really rave about the mastering in this new set. I always thought the original CDs sound pretty good but there is probably room for improvement!

William Smart and sound chaser like this.

10. Some unreleased Holdsworth work here, near the end.

11. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

Wish they were doing a vinyl edition, but I might still have to get this for the unreleased live show. I also like the Brand X/Bruford poster.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I wish all four titles were done in DVD. I'm still in.

13. varitone

varitone Forum Resident

The Burning Shed page says the CDs of Feels Good To Me and One Of A Kind are 2017 remixes. The original mixes remastered are on the DVD-As.

14. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Me too! I enjoy the other work of the participants involved in Bruford and the inclusion 5.1 mixes on DVD-A just makes this a must own for me.

15. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

These albums are game changers. You'll love them.

Terrapin Station and Juggsnelson like this.
  16. tcj

tcj Senior Member

This is a no-brainer for me as a huge fan of Bill Bruford, but I'm going to hold out ordering until I see if Amazon comes up with a lower price. It's $80 (US) plus $16 shipping from Burning Shed so it's not outrageous, but I'd gladly pay less.

17. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Just one live show? That's bitterly disappointing. I was really hoping they'd officially issue a few of the old bootlegs here. Still have very fond memories of the 'Fainting In Coils' 2LP set on Impossible Recordworks (Roxy 1979.) Would have loved to get that one, at least, back in the collection.

jay.dee likes this.
  18. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I assume Annette Peacock will be pleased. She bemoans her lack of commercial success so I hope she enjoys her 15 minutes of fame. Annette don't take your omission in the OP seriously. We still think of you. ;)

AndyP19 and William Smart like this.
  19. Beeb Fader

Beeb Fader Forum Resident

Too right we do !

AndyP19 and William Smart like this.
  20. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I don't know why they had her sing.

kenbefound likes this.
  21. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

Let's see, I have Feels Good to Me and a a compilation (Master Strokes). I want the DVDAs for sure and Gradually Going Tornado would be nice too, but not for 75 quid. I'll try to wait for unboxed versions.

22. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

I wouldn't call that singing really. More like a poetry recital. I like it though.

23. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Annette dear don't listen to them. They are so unhip (meaning uncool).:)

24. Beeb Fader

Beeb Fader Forum Resident

As I have said before...Annette was BILL's choice. He thought she was cool, so did I as it happens !
    His first choice for vocals was Robert Wyatt "who for various physical reasons didn't feel up to it".
    Not sure how many people know that, or indeed how they would imagine the album with Robert singing ?

25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I find her annoying and unlistenable, but if BB likes her there, than so be it. I'm just glad he dumped her on the next record.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    Comet01 likes this.