Bill Hicks: The Complete Collection (12 CDs & 6 DVDs Box Set)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Andrew Smith, Aug 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

The set is worth it for the Queen's Theatre late show, which (in my opinion) is the best live performance of Hicks every recorded - likely because he had a receptive, responsive audience. It's terrific.

2. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

The extended edition of Arizona Bay is released digitally tomorrow and I can't reconcile the track times with the original versions. Looking at iTunes, some bits appear longer and some shorter. Among other tracks, Bullies Of The World and Shane's Song have disappeared totally. Their inclusion under other track names doesn't seem possible either.

One good thing at least, they took out the musical interludes which I always felt got in the way of the comedy.

Does anyone have more information about this release?

3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Coming soon- Denis Leary: The Complete Collection...

(Sorry, reflex). :)

psychtrailmix and dlokazip like this.
  4. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I previewed "Hooligans" on Spotify. The take is not identical. I expected the same dialogue, just without the music. It's the same routine, but much, if not all, of the dialogue came from a different show than what is on the original Arizona Bay. Also, parts of the routine are on the next track. I imagine that they didn't get the splits totally correct.

A more accurate title for Arizona Bay Extended would be The Alternate Arizona Bay.

Groovy likes this.
  5. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

Thanks, and after listening to it, I agree. It's more like the Revelations DVD set than Arizona Bay. But it's great to have some of the material I didn't have before as an audio file rather than video.

The part that really caused me physical pain from laughter was the Charlie Hodge bit. I'd never heard this before and it was so good to hear some 'fresh' Bill Hicks - it really made my day.

6. psychtrailmix

psychtrailmix Forum Resident

Same here. I received my set on xmas day. I'm a HUGE Hicks fan, so when I initially opened it I was psyched... then I opened the box and pretty much all the discs were out of their holders and some had.. what I hope are minor scratches/scuffs... really unacceptable... They really went cheap on the packing on this.... The content though is a real treat, you really get all of Hicks' material and I've been enjoying the previously unreleased videos of shows... The next day I ripped all the shows, including the DVD's to my external drive as backup.

7. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

So much Bill Hicks to catch up with! His brother Steve sure has done a lot for getting the recordings out.

So, besides last year's HUGE archive box set, I just noticed a fairly recent release of
    RANT VARIATIONS on 2CD or 2LP.

It's an entire show from October 1993 in Austin, one of his last - and one of the shows that was the basis of Rant In E-Minor.

Get a copy, enjoy!

Edit: I had posted a pic of the tracklist for the double album....then I realized that there's a bunch of dirty words. :D forgot this is a public forum! Think of the children!

See it here (if you dare):

http://images.junostatic.com/full/CS608428-01B-BIG.jpg

Captain Groovy and Groovy like this.
  8. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

The best

9. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

damn pancreatic cancer. I hope they find better treatment soon. I had cancer in my pancreas, but it wasn't pancreatic cancer.

10. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Rant in E-Minor - one of my top 10 stand-up comedy albums... and doesn't even end with the obligatory "here's a studio radio song" that dates/plagues so many...

Except for Wild and Crazy Guy''s "King Tut" of course :D

Jeff

Edit: It was a posthumous release so there's wouldn't have been a song anyway... not that it was his style to do that - for commerciality's sake only... never..

11. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

I can't believe I missed him here in Austin... by 23 years?? Time just goes by. I don't see as much Hicks love around Austin like I used to about 8-10 years ago (posters? anything on 6th St? Not really - I see shirts occasionally but getting more rare).

Of course, sadly (?) much of his comedy is still as relevant today as it was when it was recorded...

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.