Bill Murray pulls out of Ghostbusters 3 - for good

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Matthew, Aug 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

2. dhoffa85

dhoffa85 Well-Known Member

Has anyone actually watched all of Ghostbusters 2? I think I made it through the first 10 minutes. If 3 is even close to that I say don't unleash it on the world.

3. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

Yes, it's decent. Everybody's making it out to be some Uwe Boll movie. Can't top the first one but it was ok.

4. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Nah, Ghostbusters 2 is pretty damn bad. Saw it at the drive-in back in the day. Pink slime? Statue of Liberty walking around the city? No thanks.

5. dhoffa85

dhoffa85 Well-Known Member

What Uwe Boll is THE visionary auteur of our times.;)

6. From the comments - I think this is the movie they need to make:

7. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Apparently the latest status on Part 3 is that Paul Feig will be directing an all-female squad of Ghostbusters..... o_O

8. I think everyone here is over looking the fact that Ghostbusters 3 with the OG cast (including Murray) WAS made:

9. I didn't think GB2 was that bad. The music dated it, and the filmmakers tried unsuccessfully to tie-in the cartoon (which sucked by that point) and the end was a little anti-climactic but other than that it had some moments. I LOVED the courtroom scene and the fact that the Ghostbusters were forgotten and being sued was brilliant and realistic. Not great, but not hideous. The actors certainly kept their chemistry intact and that's all that really matters to me for these films. The interplay of the leads. Regardless I'm glad there hasn't been a 3 (or 4, depending on how you see it), but this reeboot gets a BOO-URNS from me. :thumbsdow

10. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

There was a Ghostbusters 2?

Oh, wait, I even saw that piece of dreck.

11. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Although I have no interest in #3, I'm sure Murray demurred for good reasons.

12. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yeah, the rumor is that they have a conditional green light from Ashley Benson, Venessa Hudgins and Selena Gomez to fill the primary Ghostbuster role. They're aiming this, clearly, at a younger audience.

13. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

This whole thing smacks of the cartoon, Ghostbusters. Just a name.

[​IMG]

Just make a ghost-fighter movie with hilarious women. Leave Ghostbusters to rest (though Bill Murray is willingly/unknowingly? giving this girl-band movie free press).

I wouldn't drag the real legacy of Harold Ramis into this... he's gone. The heart of these movies has left us too soon, but it's over.

Only Dan Aykroyd will most likely appear in this. He doesn't know to stay away. Fantastic writer, but a horrible self-editor. Someone tell him to stay away, or get a big paycheck for popping in. Stick with that Crystal Head Vodka, Dan - you're winning on that front, financially and otherwise!

Jeff

14. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

As with the Star Wars franchise several years ago, I used to be so up in arms about how any sequels had to be "done right" so as to not "demean" or "denigrate" the previous "masterpieces" or amazing works of cinematic art.

How about this perspective - although I'll always enjoy the original GB, but let's consider it MAY appear dated, yes I'm sorry to announce the 80's were thirty years ago - especially to later generations of movie watchers including young kids. Why not try an update, even gasp - with a new cast, and not with 60 year olds?

Hopefully the fun, basic plot will translate well...to kids who won't even watch "an old movie" and if not, well ...it's not like repainting the Mona Lisa nor adding Beats headphones to the Statue of Liberty. :shake:
    If Meat Loaf can revisit Bat Out of Hell, why can't Aykroyd go blast goblins again, and make gazillions off it too?:laugh:

None of us will be forced to watch it. Let it sink or swim on its own merits.
    Some of us can just stay home and watch dusty Beta tapes of classic SNL with Bill Murray, Belushi, Gilda and Chevy. :hide: :blah:

15. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I think rebooting it is a better idea at this point. Aykroyd has spent how many years trying to get a third movie going and he's never come up with anything that works, and Murray clearly has no interest, and now Harold Ramis is dead. And even if he wasn't, they're too old anyway.

RickH and lightbulb like this.
  16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

since when does age or death make a difference in Hollywood? If they thought it would sell they'd make it...IMO.

17. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

They wait much longer they will have to attach their weapons to "walkers" and the scenes will take much longer for them to get down a hallway. Much longer than that and THEY will have to play the parts of the ghosts.

18. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

...and the other listed is Rachel Korine, which lists the 4 actresses in Spring Breakers, so I think it's a joke. if it isn't, please cast James Franco too.

19. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Ghostbusters 2? Not bad. Peter McNichol was the whole movie for me. He was hilarious.

20. nojmplease

nojmplease Host, You Can't Unhear This

Perhaps it's because I saw them both concurrently when I was young, but I've always confused the plots and dialogue of Ghostbusters 1 and 2. Not having seen either in so long, I couldn't honestly tell you which scenes were from which film.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  21. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I did. It was decent, unless I was remembering Ghostbusters 1. ( see next half of post)

Same here, until I re-watched 1 recently, I realized where some of my confused memory lay.

22. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Ghostbusters I've watched many times, Ghostbusters 2 I watched once when it originally came out on VHS, never revisited it or felt the need to.

I think an all-female cast with Paul Feig as director is a good idea, movies that don't ignore the female audience have been doing really well recently.

23. Col Kepper

Col Kepper Well-Known Member

Without Harold Ramis, there is no Ghostbusters.

Captain Groovy likes this.
  24. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Pointless crap. why not just call it Ghostbusters Extreme2.0
    I enjoyed Ghostbusters Extreme cartoon It had have maturity
    than this female love fest. Gag Me With A Totally Dude.
    I could care less about Bridesmaides it was funny once .
    Paul Feig is not god of cinema he gets lucky he will never
    Be Ramis . I hope never comes out.
    Just like supposedly a Highlander remake it's been pushed back for years.

25. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

DLant likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.