Bill Murray to Sing Christmas Carols in Upcoming TV Special (EXCLUSIVE) | Variety

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by lightbulb, Oct 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch Thread Starter

Scooterpiety and Dugan like this.
  2. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Seems like Bill has loosened up some lately.

Even making more funny movies. He has that one with Melissa McCarthy coming out.

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Bill always liked to sing! Cool...Bill's great!

4. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Here's a clip of Bill singing Shelter from the Storm from the upcoming St. Vincent. I've watched this clip about 20 times. There's something that I love so much about it.

MLutthans, Dan C, Yovra and 1 other person like this.
  5. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Murray has managed to remain relevant.
    [​IMG]

guy incognito likes this.
  6. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

7. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

If it's half as funny as the Love Theme from Jaws he did on the SNL 40th show I'll only watch it about 20 times...

8. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Saw this the other night, loved it. Some nice twists on the traditional Christmas variety show but neatly done, great cast, some great songs. Well recommended.

9. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

a lot of affection for Bill out there - unchallenged king of goofy

10. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Bill is over top boring and obnoxious to the highest level...
    Time to pack it in.. already..

11. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

12. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Tell you what, don't watch. Let those of us who enjoy that style of comedy appreciate the class instead.

lightbulb likes this.
  13. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

I thought it was a wonderful sendup of the old holiday specials. Bill pulls in a couple of A-list guests, along with several folks he's worked with over the years. It was cool to see a certain pompadoured troubadour as the bartender. Watched it twice while decorating the tree yesterday.

Aggie87 likes this.
  14. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch Thread Starter

A friendly reminder ~
    Televisions have a great feature - you can always change the channel. :biglaugh:

15. No way....I insist that artists and programs I no longer enjoy pack it in. Channel changing and that dang off button are too challenging for me to work.:D

lightbulb likes this.
  16. rjp

rjp Senior Member

sophia coppolla is producing this

17. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Funny setup & I really liked the parts with Chris Rock. After that, kind of dragged. Probably won't become annual viewing.

ex_mixer likes this.
  18. listner_matt

listner_matt Still thinks music is an inexhaustible resource

From the music geek perspective, I really enjoyed the ensemble singing of Todd Rundgren's I Saw the Light and the Pogues' Fairytale of New York. Sure, we all knew David Johansen could sing, but hearing Maya Rudolph belt out her parts was a nice surprise (maybe being the daughter of Minnie Ripperton helped). Rashida Jones was good, and I was sorta impressed by Jason Schwartzman's (attempted) falsetto (he gets points for bravery, anyway). Maybe that was meant to evoke the old TV special tradition of actors who can't sing putting in an appearance and being forced to warble through part of a group number.

Overall, there was a nice ramshackle feeling to the special -- no one seemed in any great hurry to push any big plot along -- that added to its charm. It may not become a holiday perennial, but I'm glad I saw it once.
    And, oh yeah, Miley Cyrus was darn charming in the big production numbers at the end. She can sing way better than the other popsters she gets lumped in with...

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  19. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

God I love Jenny Lewis... sorry for the digression.

20. AKA

AKA Senior Member

keef00 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.