Bill Murray to voice Garfield

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jun 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

It kind of comes full-circle, as the late Lorenzo Music (the original voice of Garfield) did the voice of Murray's Peter Venkman in "The Real Ghostbusters" cartoon.

Bill Murray Gets Catty for 'Garfield'

HOLLYWOOD (Zap2it.com) – Actor/comedian Bill Murray will be providing the voice of Garfield the Cat in Peter Hewitt’s live-action/CGI picture “Garfield” for Twentieth Century Fox.

Based on Jim Davis’ immensely popular comic strip, and written by Joel Cohen and Alec Sokolow (“Toy Story”) the film centers on a sardonic cat who must tolerate the indignity of being saddled with a nebbish owner (Breckin Meyer) and a nitwit dog as housemates.

The comic strip, which celebrates its 25th anniversary next month, is syndicated in 2,570 newspapers in 111 countries, according to Variety.

Murray last appeared in Wes Anderson's 2001 film "The Royal Tenenbaums." He is set to re-team with Anderson and co-star/writer Owen Wilson this fall for an untitled adventure film about a French oceanographer. Murray's can next be this September in Sofia Coppola’s “Lost in Translation,” opposite Scarlett Johansson and Anna Faris.

2. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I was sad when Music passed away a few years ago, from cancer I believe. He was a great voice actor and the perfect match for the cat.
    Muarray will be good to I'm sure, but I have my doubts about these CG/live action movies.
    Dan C

3. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

Great replacement.....

4. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Didn't Lorenzo Music also portray the (never seen) Carlton the Doorman on "Rhoda"?

5. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

When I was seven years old I assumed it was Bill Murray doing the voice of Garfield. It wasn't until some anniversary special (or something like that) where Jim Davis shows Lorenzo Music's back.

6. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

Did Lorenzo do the original voice? As I remember it, there were two. The first TV special had a deep voiced Garfield and the second one had a different voice. Then there was the morning cartoon. ANybody know what I am talking about?

7. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Paul Westerberg?

;)
    Sorry...I couldn't resist
    Cheers!
    Norm

8. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Yep that's right!!:D

9. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

That was the man. IIRC, only once did you "see" him. His face was obscured by a ladder or something. Anyone remember?

Dan C

10. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

D'oh! Beat me by a second!:D

11. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Lorenzo Music was also one of the creators and writers of Bob Newhart's first sitcom (one of my favorite shows ever) and, at least here in Detroit, did countless commercial voiceovers.

Very talented guy, I hadn't been aware he'd passed on. :(

12. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

Guys,

He's got an interesting website with lots of flash stuff that hasn't been updated since before his death.

http://www.lorenzomusic.com

With the exception of a few cat food commercials last year, Lorenzo Music has always been the voice of Garfield.

13. ashleyfan

ashleyfan New Member

As I recall, the voice of Jon was different on the first special, then Thom Huge took over the role for the additional specials and Saturday morning cartoon shows. Check out Mark Evanier's site "POVonline", he was a writer/producer on "Garfield" and his site has a tribute to Lorenzo Music, and some info about the making of the show.

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

A great choice! Nobody beats Bill's dryness...Just picture "The Man Who Knew Too Little"!...:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.