Billboard's Hot Soul Top 10 Singles, week ending May 7, 1977

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, Jun 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

I also checked out the Spinners song, as it turns out that I own it. The problem is that it's a bit too smooth, and the lead vocal is mixed way too up front. It's not his best vocal performance, either. It just suffers from a lackluster production.

"The Pride" isn't as bad as I remember, but it's still not as attention-grabbing to me.

I'll check out the Bootsy song. I probably have it on a Rhino comp.

2. Grant

OK, after going through all the songs on the list (I have them all except #10 in my collection), I picked the ones that moved me the most, the ons that got me jammin'. It's "I'm Your Boogie Man". It just has so much energy and a feel-good vibe. It beat out "Sir Duke" just because i'm so sick of hearing the Duke Ellington tribute. Man, I was sick of it back in 1977! My #3 pick is Marvin Gaye. I have taste.:)

The worst, IMO, is a tossup between the Manhattans and Tavares.

3. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

Picking "Sir Duke" didn't feel much different to me than picking "Band On The Run" last week, except this was an even more essential song.

"Got To Give It Up Part 1" is the single version of Marvin Gaye's 14-minute-long closer to his live double-album", and utterly essential.

The best pop-soul cut on this one is neither of them, nor is it KC & The Sunshine Band's "(I'm Your) Boogie Man". It's Tavares' "Whodunnit", which is almost a novelty number devoted to late-night crime shows. This one named all my father's favorite shows, which was why I loved it nearly as much as "Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel".

Bootsy's "Pinocchio Theory" is both funky and hilarious, like when he tells the chorus to sing and gets a horn break instead. "Uh, right", sayeth Bootsy, without missing a beat.

4. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Ok, I got it. Yeah that was a pretty cool segue on Part 3 too. Heh, that move was K.C.'s shtick.

Very cool concept. I like "Only Pretty Girls" and "Dream Music" too. Yep, not a classic but it's probably better than those last Mercury albums. That Bill Withers album was released the same year. 1977 was nice year for R&B.

5. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Yeah not a great one. I liked the grittier ballads like "Don't Take Your Love From Me" and especially "I Kinda Miss You."

6. Grant

I meant that I wish I could get RID of the mental image!:laugh:

You're right. I didn't get the album until 1978, so...

7. SBrad_26554

SBrad_26554 New Member

lol, yeah that part's great:

Bootsy - "Sing!"

<horn break>

Bootsy - "Oh."

I agree that this was a great idea.

Grant, how about doing an R&B chart from '72 or '73 next time?

8. egor

egor Forum Resident

no contest, Sir Duke

9. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

10. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

It didn't quite reach the Top Ten, peaking at #15 on the Hot 100 on 5-07-77. This didn't receive any local airplay that I remember, in the NYC area. Quite a difference compared to their #1 hit on both the Hot 100 and R&B charts, You Don't Have to Be a Star (To Be in My Show).

Here is Your Love on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVpvwu486jA

11. Grant

I plan to.:thumbsup:

12. Grant

It got tons of airplay out here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.