Billy Idol to release new album (and book) this Fall

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by celticbob, Jun 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

its billy idol, who cares if its loud. its not like his sngs have a vast array of textures. its usually a rock song or a ballad

2. Matthew Tate

is there an edited version? i had to pick it up from wal mart. doesn't say edited on it and idol usually keeps the lyrics pretty clean

3. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

No Textures ?? :shrug:

what are these ?

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  4. Matthew Tate

it was just meant that idol isn't releasing beatles-esque music that is really hurt by bad mixing and mastering making it loud

5. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

It's hurting my ears when it's cranked up , no reason the cd should be as loud as it is ......

6. Matthew Tate

don't crank it as loud then

7. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Why on earth do you feel The Beatles should be crankable but Billy not? Billy Idol is made to be played loud.... VERY LOUD!!

Davidmk5 likes this.
  8. Matthew Tate

umm i don't feel that way. the comment i quoted said its too loud when cranked. you should only crank it to the level you want to hear it

9. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

That was a reply to all your previous comments that led to my responce. Sorry for the confusion.

When its mastered loud then it hurts when you turn up the volume. When mastered correctly it can be played loud without it grating on ones nerves.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  10. Matthew Tate

i rarely play things really loud so i can't really comment. i do know this is mastered very loud because i had to turn it down from my usual volume setting on my system

11. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Too bad the audio qiality on the CD stinks. I'm waiting for tje japanese CD. Hopefully it contains the bonus track. Too bad it's out a month from now!

12. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I'm impressed with this album!

13. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

I found Devil's Playground a little underwhelming and Kings & Queens better with about half really strong material and half mediocre. If the Idols could help me a bit with what tracks I'm gonna add to my own Vital Idol one cd collection I'd be grateful. I'm shooting for getting it down to three but stuck at four with:

Can't Break Me Down (just great)
    Save Me Now (this one seems to be getting singled out a lot but I'm leaning towards cutting it)
    Ghosts in My Guitar (hey, I'm a sap for a good Billy ballad)
    Whiskey & Pills (great way to close an Idol album/comp)

c-eling likes this.
  14. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Okay i want to hear it loud , so i should Damage my hearing because they mastered it way too loud ? I can crank Rebel yell , or say whiplash smile in car as loud as it can go with no problems , whne my ears are shutting down after a song or two there is a problem .

c-eling likes this.
  15. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Love whiskey & pills , great rocker ....surprised you don't have "postcards from the Past" on your list ..

16. Hollywood Promises is a great cut that should have made the "regular" album.

I don't like the Greg Kurstin songs, even though I usually like what he does.

The album is good, and Trevor Horn's approach works better than Brian Tichy's. But there's STILL not enough of Steve Stevens for my taste.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  17. Even the Bob Norberg version?

18. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

The b/w photos of Idol on the cover and interior make his face, especially his mouth look really weird. It's like someone drew a thick black line on the photos extending his scowling closed mouth ear to ear joker-style. Maybe he went to Steve Steven's plastic surgeon (he looks weird these days too).

19. Yardbird

Yardbird Forum Resident

I was sifting though the used bins yesterday and the store was playing this over their system. At first, I thought it sounded like Billy, but it was more mellow than I remember Idol being. The more I listened, the more I recognized, yes it's Billy. I really enjoyed it. I'll definitely consider picking this up.

c-eling likes this.
  20. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Glad Stevens is still with him, I love it!
    2xlp set for Nov 28

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  21. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I have 3 copies on cd , an original , the Remaster & one i had made off my original lp ..... one of them certainly is pretty harsh out of the 2 store bought one's , pretty sure it's the remaster ....

And yes i agree shame there is not more Steve stevens on this album , kinda reminded me when whiplash smile came out & i was hoping for more of steve rocking out .....

Anyone who loves steve stevens , Great interview with him on his full history

https://soundcloud.com/thedoublestop/the-double-stop-episode-35-steve-stevens

c-eling likes this.
  22. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Thanks Dave! Used to have Atomic Playboys on cassette years ago, My local thrift has the lp, I should grab it

23. But Steve actually played quite a bit on Whiplash Smile, especially the tremendous solo on "Man For All Seasons." I wanted at least one like that. "Whiskey & Pills" comes closest. But I do enjoy this album. There's some good stuff.

24. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

It's sad nowdays. Record labels want us to download the albums instead of buying them on CD or LP. Can't understand it. This new Billy Idol album contains one extra track if you download it?! Come on! Stupid. I'm still hoping for the extra track on the japanese edition. The older CDs I have inported on my mp3 Walkman works just fine. No reason for raising the volume just for the sake of it!

scobb likes this.
  25. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

Steve Stevens is just a bit fatter these days. No plastic surgery involved but probably a lot of plastic pints cups.

c-eling likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.