Billy Joel - Cold Spring Harbor (Any Love?)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MySweetFork, Apr 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MySweetFork

MySweetFork Pete Best Thread Starter

Billy Joel's first album came with a vulnerable sounding 22 year old young songwriter meshed with undeniable technical flaws within it's production. Most prominent, the album's mastering speed makes Billy sound almost chipmunk-like at times.

The album was re-mastered in the early 1980s, saving it a little bit, however not enough to make a noticeable difference in it's sound. I feel if the original album had come out without any master/technical flaws, more people would have appreciated the album upon it's original release and potentially for decades to come.

My purpose for this thread, though, is to gather opinions on this album. Apart from the technicalities that flaw this album, it's a treasure. His voice strains cry and resemble his vulnerable state. (Ex. the suicide note he wrote which developed into the song Tomorrow is Today - one of his most underrated songs.) If I had to summarize this album in one word, it would be dulcet.

Opinions?
    [​IMG]

Hep Alien, 905 and AppleCorp3 like this.
  2. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

it's good. i just wish there was a listenable version.

ralph7109, bartels76 and MySweetFork like this.
  3. kippyy

kippyy Forum Resident

Love this album despite its flaws.
    I didnt even know a pre-Piano Man album existed in the early 80,s.
    Stumbled upon this in a record store
    Beautiful if sonetimes naive lyrics matched with great music.
    Very similar in style to the Elton John album, except EJ had more professional engineers and orchestration
    My faves are Why Judy Why, Tomorrow is today, Turn around, Nocturne.
    I prefer the orchestrated version of Tomorrow is today.
    What are the main differences in mixes between versions ?

MySweetFork likes this.
  4. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I bought the digitally remastered version on cassette in the late-80s when I was in my most rabid Billy Joel fandom...and I hated it.

I never made it through a full playing. Could not get past the comically incompetent production. I’m not sure if I still have that cassette.

dan c

5. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Artie Ripp

How perfect.

6. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Found a speed corrected original mix when they started making the Internet rounds about ten years ago. I enjoy it, the most of any of his albums.

Siegmund and Damien DiAngelo like this.
  7. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

It wasn't remastered in the 80s, it was a drastic remix with things left out, other things added and songs cut short.. I wish leastwise on this board people wouldn't be so lazy with the terms....

I like an speed corrected version of the original mix the best.

phillyal1 likes this.
  8. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Back in the '70s I found a Family Productions cut-out 8-track of this album and played the heck out of it. I think it's got great tunes that stand the test of time, and I find it has much better tunes than "Streetlife Serenade". I particularly like the "Nocturne/Got to Begin Again" combo finale of the album, as well as "Tomorrow is Today", "Shes Got A Way", "Everybody Love's You Now".

Someone here at SHF posted a link to a fan fixed version of the original album and that's my go-to version. It's very well done. I am sure if you search the forum you will find quite a few threads on this topic.

NEVERMIND. I found it: Billy Joel's "Cold Spring Harbor" — fan restoration

hi_watt, Hep Alien and Sneaky Pete like this.
  9. kippyy

kippyy Forum Resident

Always wondered if Billy consciously (or not) copied Elton...
    Cold Spring Harbor which I believe came out 1-2 years after the Elton John album, then Piano Man in 73 following Tumbleweed Connection with an Americana/country/Western motif.

10. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Is the remaster from 1998 also at the incorrect speed?

11. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: I like most of it. I've always especially liked the combination of piano and organ on "You Look So Good To Me."

MySweetFork likes this.
  12. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

I’ve tried to listen to it a few times. Kept it for completist reasons. Good songs, not great. Production lives up to it infamy.

13. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

I liked it a lot when it came out. For some reason it reminded me of McCartney's songwriting on Ram. Then I heard about the speedup, and well...

MySweetFork likes this.
  14. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I actually have always enjoyed this album. It's certainly the work of a young artist still finding his way, but the album has it's charms, and certainly isn't as bad as some (including Billy) make it out to be. Would love to see the original mix reissued properly. Obviously even Billy thought it wasn't that bad, resurrecting two tracks for Songs In The Attic, but I think there's other small pleasures like "Falling Of The Rain" and "Tomorrow Is Today" that hold up pretty well.

Hell, I still like this album a lot more than An Innocent Man. Hah.

Hep Alien and MySweetFork like this.
  15. MySweetFork

Actually yes it was a remix. Because I'm pretty sure (for ex:) some drum parts were redone - in Everybody Loves You Now and others.

16. MySweetFork

I believe it's at the correct speed, but it's still doesn't sound completely right.

The Hud likes this.
  17. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

Everytime there is a thread about this album, it needs to be reiterated once again that neither version of this album runs at the correct speed.

Hep Alien likes this.
  18. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Is the 1998 remaster the remix?

19. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The 80's remix is not entirely the right speed. It is too slow in places. There is a theory that they tried to make it sound more like the deeper-voiced older Billy Joel people were used to from his 80's hits. I don't know if that is the reason.

20. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

I prefer the flawed original version.

21. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

I really like this album. For years I'd only either heard the sped-up "chipmunk" version or the overdubbed remix from the early 1980s, but recently I found a remastered, speed-corrected version of the original album and it was a revelation -->

22. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Great, underrated album in my opinion. I don't have a problem with any version.

hi_watt and 905 like this.
  23. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Which version is in the complete albums box set from a few years back?
    I must say I enjoyed the album much more than I expected to based on its reputation.

Peace and love✌

hi_watt, 905 and MySweetFork like this.
  24. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Great set of songs, unfourtunately the production killed it.

mark winstanley likes this.
  25. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The 80's version is the only one used in any official digital release.

Beaneydave likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.