Billy Joel Greatest Hits 1 &2 on Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rich100, Jan 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Well, then Id wonder why youre even commenting about the comp from an artist that you cant stand lol.

btw, Ive been guilty of the same and end up thinking "wth am I doing?" :D

2. Malinky

Malinky Almost a Gentleman.

I was commenting mainly to explain that anyone who wants this album in the UK, can pick up an original copy almost anywhere for next to nothing, the poster was asking if it was worth paying a lot of money for a reissue, the question was not about the artist.

3. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

I'm very curious myself about the sound and if the tracks are radio edits. It shows that it has the extra tracks that are on the CD version, along with Honesty that was evidently on some versions but not others.

Finding a mint copy at a good price isn't all that easy either. Copies I had seen floating around on vinyl were in the 40.00 to 50.00 dollar range around me. I found one about a year ago for 15.00. They seem to have come down some but not a lot.

4. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I did mange to get a second hand one for a decent price, but, not in great condition unfortunately. I'll wait and see if this comes in at a decent price or even a normal reissue. I think on vinyl I'm only a Greatest Hits fan for Joel, as I can't skip past naff tracks like Root Beer Rag as easily on the albums :)

5. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

Anyone pick this up? Is "New York State of Mind" the remix or original? They already released original on Turnstiles so hoping its the remix done for Greatest Hits in mid 80s. Also curious about single versions...

6. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

See Sgt. Pepper remix thread

7. Where are you Simon

Where are you Simon Well-Known Member

How many hits did Billy actually have ?

8. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Do you mean me?

9. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

Surprisingly a lot , depending on what you consider a hit. Between 1973 and 1993 he had 33 top 40 hits, 23 of those were top 20 or better, and 13 of those were top 10. Six were certified gold with 2 platinum. (At least in the U.S.).

Coricama and seaisletim like this.
  10. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

A lot more in the States than he did here. I think his biggest hit album in the U.K. was An Innocent Man in 1983.

11. Bobby Morrow

I have the original CD twofer of this from 1985. I was playing it the other day and it's a great sounding set. I wonder how much MOFI can actually improve it!

If the SACD does actually come out, I'm looking forward to seeing what ridiculous price Amazon UK charge for it. At the moment they have Piano Man and Turnstiles for £48 each, Glass Houses for £46, but for some reason 52nd Street is £18.:D

12. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

A 3 LP MOFI box set limited to 3000 copies. I'm not sure this is overpriced. If it is quality, as I'd wager it is, the original price will seem trivial to what it will be when it is sold out.

AtlTrav likes this.
  13. Steelymark

Steelymark Forum Resident

Mine arrived yesterday ,I've only listen to the 1st album, sounds fantastic!

Coricama, Yost and Tommyboy like this.
  14. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

Is "New York State of Mind" the older sax solo mix or the 80s Greatest Hits sax solo?
    I have been wondering which one they would use ever since the MOFI Turnstiles used the older mix that sounded like sh$%!

15. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

Does it come in a box or is it a triple gatefold style?

16. Steelymark

Steelymark Forum Resident

Its all packed in a box.

17. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

I'm guessing, or rather, my hope is, that the set is similar to Dylan's 'Blonde on Blonde' set. MFSL knocked that one out of the park

krisjay likes this.
  18. Bobby Morrow

Is the vinyl or the SACD that's limited to 3,00o pieces? Or both?

19. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

3000 for the vinyl, 3000 for the SACD. These are for the "numbered editions" so in theory MOFI could make more product but without them being individually numbered.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  20. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

Could you please post some pictures of the box/packaging? I'm curious to see how this looks.

21. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I have two UK original copies - no barcodes, they also came out right bang in the middle of the transition from yellow sunset labels to red labels, so I have one set which is a hybrid, record one on yellow sunset and record two with the red label - the second copy both are red.

I also have the original fat box CD set (no barcode) with the 4 extra tracks not on the original LP release - so I'm set, they all sound great!

22. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

I preordered this SACD from Music Direct years ago. I forgot all about it.

jeffreybh likes this.
  23. jeffreybh

jeffreybh Gunter Gleiben Glauchen Globen

Curious who mastered and if they will be the same mastering for the SACD and the LP or different. For instance for the MFSL Songs In The Attic, the LP was mastered by Krieg Wunderlich and the SACD was mastered by Shawn Britton. I've been waiting for this SACD to come out for years to finally finish up the MFSL Billy Joel Collection.

24. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

It's probably mastered by the same guys who have been doing all of the MoFi titles of late. The names escape me offhand

25. Bobby Morrow

I'm assuming no one's received the SACD yet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.