Billy Joel Greatest Hits 1 &2 on Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rich100, Jan 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnotherEargazm

AnotherEargazm Forum Resident

I guess you guys completely missed the Billy Joel boat over there. To me, An Innocent Man was the beginning of the end. It sold well, but the songs lacked the impact of his previous work. Then again, I grew up on Long Island, one town over from Billy, and I guess his popularity there was greater than anywhere else. Not surprisingly, Billy Joel can still sell out Madison Square Garden several nights in a row whenever he chooses.

mbrownp1 and Szeppelin75 like this.
  2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I used to follow the US charts and though Billy had hits here, it was nothing like in his homeland. For example, My Life was the only hit from 52nd Street. It's Still Rock & Roll To Me performing similarly from Glass Houses. An Innocent Man was a smash though. Uptown Girl went to #1 and he had at least 3 more big hits from the LP.

Though it has to be said that albums like The Bridge, Songs In The Attic and The Nylon Curtain did poorly here.

3. AnotherEargazm

AnotherEargazm Forum Resident

I would think Piano Man would have been big in the pubs? Big Shot never charted in the UK either?

4. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I don't think Billy had a UK hit single until The Stranger album. Don't recall Big Shot being a hit... It may have scraped the charts but it certainly wasn't a smash.

Edit. Just The Way You Are was the biggest U.K. single from The Stranger. It made #19. Barry White's version of the song did better in the charts the year after!

5. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

Rob LoVerde, Shawn R. Britton, and Krieg Wunderlich were all doing excellent work for MOFI. I'm not sure if they've hired any additional staff for their mastering team.

Tommyboy likes this.
  6. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

The price seems high on first blush, I agree. It does look like a really well done release though, extended to 3 LPs and packaged in a box. Limited to 3000. Mastered from the original tapes for the first time (not clear exactly what this means, I understand).

To me, given the outstanding collection of songs here, this makes as much or more sense than the One Step Ultra releases coming out recently. I haven't seen much feedback on the sound so far but I'll be happy to chime in. I have one on the way.

7. classicmusicfan32

classicmusicfan32 Forum Resident

Anybody know if there is a single version of You're only Human available on a compilation CD?

8. Lesbeat

Lesbeat Forum Resident

Mine arrived today, and it isn't numbered. It's just a big empty white spot. Makes me wonder if my sacd - whenever it arrives- will be numbered.

9. chaz

chaz Senior Member

Who did you buy it from?

10. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

Lesbeat, where did you order yours from? Are you outside the US? I have heard of this "blank" edition before. I wonder if it is MOFI breaking their limited run allowance or if because of something else like outside US or non authorized shops or something...

11. Lesbeat

Lesbeat Forum Resident

Amazon

12. Lesbeat

Lesbeat Forum Resident

Amazon. 10 August 2017. $89.99. I hemmed and hawed, and mostly heard positive feedback. However, when I went to buy it, everyone was sold out. My local retailer informed me their distributor was sold out. Fearing a one step like fiasco -$100 when it comes out, and $500, the next day after it's sold out - I went this route. Actually though, I've gotten unnumbered Mfsl sacds in the past. I was under the impression unnumbered ones were promos.

13. Lesbeat

Lesbeat Forum Resident

I'm in the US - about a half hour from the Rock Hall of Fame. Ian Hunter once commented, "Cleveland Rocks!" I've lived near Philadelphia, and also in Canada. So, I'd agree more with Steve Miller, "I went from Phoenix, Arizona all the way to Tacoma, Philadelphia, Atlanta, L.A.,Northern California where the girls are warm, So I could be with my sweet baby, yeah...Keep on a rock'n, rock'n me baby!" My point, everybody rocks, and everybody has rock n roll history!

14. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

I stopped at Northern California and am here to stay! Of course bay area has lots of songs about it too. lol

Lesbeat likes this.
  15. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

I'm late to this thread, but my Elusive Disc backorder of the 3-LP box from like a year ago just arrived! I got 933/3000. Sound quality is incredible! Best I've ever heard these songs and this is now probably one of the best sounding releases in my collection!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  16. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Songs In The Attic is THE perfect Billy Joel album. And in my top 5 fave live records of all time.

17. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

An Innocent Man and River of Dreams are by far his most common albums found in the CD used bins. Storm Front isn't far behind. His other album, especially the early ones, are far less common. And yet, he must have sold plenty because CBS requested CDs from the DADC plant in the US and JVC in Japan, and they don't do that for every artist.

Yes, I have the original fat box CD set. If the SACD set was reasonably priced and well reviewed, then I would probably buy it. But I'm not enough of a Billy Joel fan to pay over the odds for it.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  18. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

The thread title refers to the vinyl, but it appears that I am the only person who has actually received and listened to the vinyl. Right? Anyone else?

19. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

I have the MFSL triple vinyl. It sounds great and is worth every penny, IMO.

Dorian75 likes this.
  20. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Agreed. It sounds phenomenal!

AtlTrav likes this.
  21. Vinyl Richie

Vinyl Richie Forum Resident

These are up for preorder again at Elusive Disc for anyone interested.

22. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

This title is in stock again at MD and Acoustic Sounds. I just bought two :)

Dorian75 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.