Billy Joel - Turnstiles - Original Version?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RemarkablyInsincere, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RemarkablyInsincere

RemarkablyInsincere Active Member Thread Starter

I was reading the Billy Joel Wikipedia entry and came across this:

Disenchanted with the L.A. musical scene, Joel returned to New York in 1975. There he recorded Turnstiles, on which Joel used his own hand-picked musicians in the studio for the first time, and took a more hands-on role. Songs were initially recorded at Caribou Ranch with members of Elton John's band and produced by famed Chicago producer James William Guercio, but Joel was dissatisfied with the results. The songs were re-recorded in New York and Joel took over, producing the album himself.

I'd never heard this before and wonder if some of the versions from the original sessions ever saw the light of day in some form?

I'm always interested in hearing an artists/producers original take when stuff like this occurs just to compare.

2. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Wow. Well, it shows that Billy knew best, because Turnstiles was a huge improvement over his previous albums. This material would make for a great Deluxe edition of arguably his best album.

3. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

The material from the original sessions has never seen the light of day, not even in footwear. On the other hand, there's material from the album that circulates, minus the string overdubs. And notaly, the early version of Everybody Has A Dream that was left off of Turnstiles.

4. pool_of_tears

I'll agree with that, though I have a soft spot of Streetlife Serenade.

EddieT likes this.
  5. mr.schneider

mr.schneider Active Member

Say what? Piano Man has some of the strongest album tracks that Billy Joel ever made! That is a strong, strong record!

mark winstanley likes this.
  6. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I never heard that either...I thought what was released was recorded at Caribou with his own band.

I wouldn't have minded hearing Dee, Davey, Nigel and Ray backing him up in their collective heydays.

Brother Maynard likes this.
  7. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Turnstiles is a very good record and the production of Piano Man and Streetlife Serenade have aged well.

8. RemarkablyInsincere

RemarkablyInsincere Active Member Thread Starter

I really dig "Streetlife Serenade", but "Turnstiles" is an even stronger album.

mark winstanley likes this.
  9. Tin Whisker

Tin Whisker Forum Resident

10. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I had posted before that the album was recorded at Columbia, but someone said it was recorded at Caribou, except for (I think) the string overdubs. Which is correct?

11. pool_of_tears

IIRC, the album was started at Caribou. The album switched to Ultrsonic Studios on Long Island, NY...this was when Billy used HIS band. The string overdubs are from Caribou.

12. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

There's also a credit for Columbia's 30 Street Studio on the album, probably for the strings overdubs.

dan c

13. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I put on the LP tonight, great record. The dynamics kick the crap out of the remaster. With "New York State of Mind" on the LP, and old CD, the whole sax part is different through the whole song, not just the solo. The end of the song has a total different feel to it.

Would love to hear the "Original Version" of this great record. I doubt it is better than what was released though.

Pat

14. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

It has a different feel, because the sax goes through the outro, instead of the piano only ending out now. I prefer this older version much more...but then again, that might be because it's the one I grew up with. The newer one always sounds "wrong" to me.

15. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Exactly my feelings. I don't like how the 1985 version has become the de facto standard :(

16. pool_of_tears

Yes, the original mix of New York State Of Mind has a completely different saxophone solo...performed by Richie Cannata. I prefer it. It's only found on the original vinyl and non-remastered cd. 8-track and cassette notwithstanding of course. ;)

17. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm curious why the Phil Woods version was substituted on GREATEST HITS. Was it recorded new at the time (1985)? Either way, did Billy not like the original anymore or something?

18. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Piano Man? His worst album, IMO. Total cheese. Well, except maybe Stormfront.

hi_watt and numer9 like this.
  19. pool_of_tears

The version on the 85 Hits album is remixed with a different sax solo. It was either dubbed in 84/85 or unusued from the 76 multi-track reels. I can't imagine Billy not liking this. For whatever reason, the remixed version being used on the Turnstiles remaster is a gross oversight.

EddieT likes this.
  20. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

What about Captain Jack, I think that's one of his best ever songs!

I have to give Turnstiles a listen, just picked up the original CD.

I've been playing Innocent Man for the last 2 weeks now, what a great album! I hated the hits off it when it came out in '83, but I was into totally different music then...

21. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Perhaps, but not the Piano Man version.

22. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

Yep! :righton: Billy's best!

Number 2.) "Turnstiles"

23. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

I aways loved that one too. I like it better than Turnstiles as well.

24. George P

George P Notable Member

Seems like I need to check out Turnstiles. I passed on a copy last week and got the Stranger, Glass Houses and 52nd Street instead.

25. pool_of_tears

Definitely. The live version from Songs In The Attic. Far more powerful and exciting.

walrus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.