Bing Crosby Radio show from 60, 65, or 70 years ago this week !

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Pepper, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry? Thread Starter

JAG and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  2. Dr. Pepper

JAG likes this.
  3. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Now THAT'S funny!

4. Dr. Pepper

5. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

JAG and Dr. Pepper like this.
  6. Dr. Pepper

7. Dr. Pepper

This week's show also features an early appearance by the Les Paul Trio!

Here is the outline of the whole show:

No. 352 28th December 1944

With Ken Carpenter, Charles Henderson & The Kraft Choir, The Charioteers, Eugenie Baird, Beatrice Kay and The Les Paul Trio.

*Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate The Positive with The Charioteers

*Strange Music (a)

Otchi-Tchornya (Dark Eyes) The Les Paul Trio

*Always with Eugenie Baird

Steamboat Bill Beatrice Kay

*Let’s Take The Long Way Home (a)

Medley from “Rhythm On The Range” (b)

*I’m An Old Cowhand (From The Rio Grande)

*I Can’t Escape From You

*Mr. Paganini (c) with The Charioteers

*Empty Saddles with Choir

8. Dr. Pepper

here is the breakdown for this epsiode:

No. 15 28th December 1949 (a)
    Transcribed in Hollywood (20th December 1949). Announced by Ken Carpenter. With Jud Conlon’s Rhythmaires and Al Jolson.

*Where The Blue Of The Night (b) Opening Theme

*I’ve Got A Lovely Bunch Of Coconuts with Rhythmaires

*Chesterfield Jingle with Rhythmaires

*Sorry (c) with Rhythmaires & Buddy Cole (Piano)

Swanee Al Jolson

Comedy Dialogue Bing Crosby & Al Jolson

*When The Red, Red Robin Comes

Bob, Bob, Bobbin’ Along (d) with Al Jolson

*I Only Have Eyes For You (e) with Al Jolson

*Waiting For The Robert E. Lee (f) with Al Jolson & Red Nichols (Cornet)

*I Can Dream Can’t I? (g) with Rhythmaires

Where The Blue Of The Night Closing Theme

9. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

The first clip in this thread is excellent sound quality
    Where was the source for this, 16'" transcription discs ?
    Has it be cleaned up?

10. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

By this time Bing had moved on to...or really I should say PIONEERED on to using Ampex tape recorders which completely changed the way radio was transcribed, records were recorded, etc. etc. etc.

11. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Bing didnt use Ampex tape machines untill 1947

That clip is 1944, long before tape got to America

What is its source do you think?

12. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

i believe his old Kraft shows, etc were copied as record and acetate transcriptions, possibly to share by NBC with the Armed Forces Radio Service. Radio transcriptions typically were 16" records recorded at 78rpm until about 1948. you can find some info at Wiki here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcription_disc

13. Dr. Pepper

Still looking for something, but found some interesting stuff about Bing leaving Kraft Music Hall!

…The wrangling went on. Even J. Walter Thompson brought in their own council, Sigrid Peterson - still busily working at similar tasks in Los Angeles - to try and patch things up. But Crosby and his corporation insisted that they wanted out and fueled the flames by stating that money was also a part of the breakdown, if not the whole reason behind it. Kraft, they said, had offered no new incentives to their star who was now number one at the box office and thus had much greater drawing power. They argued that if Kraft sales could rise, why not the salary of the star who helped them to make the rise?

If KMH had been evolved into a broadcast-vehicle built around Bing Crosby, why should they not pay him more than the average host receives for the average radio series?

Then abruptly, Bing returned to the programme six weeks after his departure. Now it was late June and his being on hand to sign the show off until the fall would reduce the unwanted attentions everyone was receiving. This outing (June 28) also had Florence Alba as guest. Interestingly, there are several not-so-subtle references to Crosby’s long absence, among them, his explanation that he had been on a golfing exhibition with Bob Hope, to military hospitals. Ken Carpenter also tells everyone Bing had also been on a number of bond rallies, hospital shows and ‘free-style autographing’. As if these were not enough, and to create humour in a touchy situation, Bing says that he had also been up at his ranch at Elko, nursing a sick cow and suffering, himself, from a stomach upset. Newspaper accounts at the time verify almost all these excuses, including his stomach complaint!

When he introduces Miss Alba, he coyly asks if she is now a regular on the show, since she was his guest on his last broadcast, to which she responds with, “Well, as regular as you are”. The audience roars. With our hindsight, these reactions seem very obvious. Bing announces at the end the list of next weeks guests, including Perry Como, thus admitting, by omission, that he would not be back.

Considering the reality behind the very sick broadcast, it is a credit to Bing that he permitted Carroll’s pen such free reign. (Carroll might say that Bing didn‘t care.)

(Vernon Wesley Taylor, Hail KMH!,The Crosby Voice,February 1986)

(Bing walked out on his contract with Kraft which was due to expire in 1950, invoking a Californian law, under which personal contracts could not extend beyond seven years. The official line taken, was that the break occurred due to ‘financial reasons’ but the real bone of contention was in regard to a practice that is now, commonplace but at that time, was considered so revolutionary as to be totally unacceptable to the networks. The truth was, that Bing had become more than interested in transcribing his shows, taking advantage of the new magnetic tape system, brought from Germany, at the end of the war and which was now being developed by his own company, in conjunction with Ampex. (Some indication of the lack of enthusiasm for this ‘revolution’ in broadcasting techniques can be gleaned from the fact that “Variety” began reviewing the options, separately as, ‘Radio Reviews’ and ‘Transcription Reviews’)

The upshot was, that Kraft filed suit, asking for a declaratory judgement and injunction, which would have effectively prevented Bing from singing for anyone. After bitter legal wrangling which continued until the following January, he returned on the 7th February, having agreed to host a further thirteen shows for Kraft, plus guest appearances.)

“Looks Like Bing’s Scram is McCoy” (Front Page Headline)

“The Bing Crosby Kraft Music Hall situation continues in a state of flux and there’s a strong possibility that Der Bingle will not return to the air next season. If he does, it’s likely that it won’t be until January or even later. There’s one Coast report that Crosby has a terrific peeve on with the Kraft agency, J. Walter Thompson but this has been vigorously denied by JWT executives who acknowledge, however, that when the Fall season rolls around, The Groaner may be conspicuous by his absence from the air lanes. In view of the generally recognised, top quality programming of the Edward Everett Horton, Summer replacement show it’s considered likely that the show will stick through the Fall and Winter if Crosby stands pat on his decision to scram out of radio”

(“Variety” 1st August 1945)

“W.F. Lochridge, Vice President of the J. Walter Thompson agency in Chicago will have it out with Bing Crosby on Wednesday (22nd). It will be their first meeting since ‘Lock’ got in, last weekend. It is understood that Kraft is agreeable to The Groaner making a six week overseas tour when he finishes ‘Blue Skies’ at Paramount but wants to be sure he’ll be back on programme. Chief gripe with Crosby is that he doesn’t want to be pinned down and show up every Thursday for the broadcast”

(“Variety” 22nd August 1945)

“Something akin to a feeling of panic prevails among some of the ad agencies in New York because a ‘Get Crosby or else’ edict has been handed down by some top bankrollers of radio programmes. Apparently, no sooner had the word gone out that Der Bingle might scram out of the Kraft picture, permanently (which is still a strong possibility) and thus become a free agent, that the romancing overtures began and indications are that before the big bidding ends it will probably reach unprecedented proportions, with The Groaner, of course, in a position to dictate his own ticket. In some quarters the opinion’s even being tossed around that unless a Crosby deal can be manoeuvred, for certain clients, some agency heads will roll. As of the moment, the whole Crosby-Kraft impasse remains in a state of flux, with the possibility still seeming to be strong for the star doing a weekly transcribed network show.”

(“Variety” 12th September 1945)

“Despite the fact that the whole agency field has a bought a ticket on “The Groaner Sweepstakes”, neither Bates nor any other agency wants to go out on a limb and invite possible litigation until the Crosby-Kraft muddle is definitely straightened out. Particularly, since Kraft representatives are adamant in their insistence that the Crosby contract still has seven years to go. Whatever happens, it is generally felt now that Der Bingle won’t return to radio until next March, at the earliest, with the star, for the present, in ‘retirement’ at his ranch. Frank Morgan is currently substituting on the Thursday night Kraft Music Hall show”

(“Variety” 17th October 1945)

“The Bing Crosby/Kraft Music Hall impasse looks to be headed for a showdown in the immediate future. Der Bingle’s sponsors have served notice that they want him back on his Thursday night NBC show on the first of the year. The Groaner, it is reported, has retorted with equal emphasis, that he won’t back on the first of the year or, for that matter, won’t be returning to the Kraft fold, at all. Meanwhile there is hardly a top agency in the business that isn’t watching developments. Hottest bet in radio today, Crosby can write his own ticket for probably, any one of a dozen or more clients, romancing him. But so far, agencies have been holding off on talking terms; they don’t want to get involved in the event Kraft decides to slap an injunction on Crosby and take the thing to court and it look’s like the thing will be headed for the courts with both sides as adamant as ever. Crosby feels that after 10 years it would be both to his advantage and Kraft’s, if they parted company and that after a decade of kicking around the Music Hall idea, its possibilities have been exhausted and he’d like to start fresh on another programme. Meanwhile, Crosby’s been staying in New York, thus far, having appeared this season in three non-commercial programmes. Eddie Duchin, just out of the Navy has been pacted as a regular for the Kraft Music Hall, as a personality for some weekly by-play with Frank Morgan, not as an orchestra leader. Morgan, in as substitute for Bing Crosby, has reportedly been ‘inked’ for the remainder of the season. Supposition being that in the event that Crosby does return to Kraft, Morgan will be teamed up with him”

(“Variety” 19th December 1945)

(Headline) “‘Round And ‘Round Kraft And Crosby”

“Dispute between Bing Crosby and Kraft Foods over former’s desire to ease out of his Kraft Music Hall contract which seemed likely to be settled amicably, last week, after several huddles between representatives of both principals will now go to court due to a reported, last minute, change of heart on Saturday (12th) by John Kraft. As a result, Crosby’s attorneys are now preparing an answer to Kraft’s application for an injunction. Kraft claimed Crosby has reneged on a 1937 contract which it states runs on until 1950. The Groaner, however, maintains that last summer when he gave notice to quit, he was merely taking advantage of California’s seven-year employee law which says an employee can’t make a contract beyond seven years. In its application for injunction, Kraft acknowledges the Crosby statute but maintains that Crosby was not an employee but an independent contractor. This claim is based on the fact that Crosby himself, picked the four songs which he sang on the Music Hall programme, each week. Crosby denies he’s a contractor, pointing out that he hired no one for the programme, merely presented himself and used Kraft scripts handed to him. He also maintains that his weekly Kraft pay check had US Withholding Tax deducted from it, proving that he was an employee. Furthermore, according to Crosby, Kraft Foods promised that they wouldn’t go to court over the matter but would sit down and discuss it first. Crosby or his manager brother, Everett were in constant touch with Kraft or their agency, J. Walter Thompson. They came East, three weeks ago, after John Kraft, in Chicago, phoned them to do so, to thrash the matter out, then the injunction application was filed. Despite this, according to Crosby, the two sides met amicably. Crosby offered to do two broadcasts while Kraft countered with a request for twenty-six broadcasts before they would release him. Crosby came up to six, Kraft replying it would take the six now, with five more guest shots, next Fall. Crosby countered with an offer to do thirteen broadcasts and two guest shots, next Fall; whereupon, according to Crosby, Kraft reps asked for thirteen now and four guest shots in the Fall. This was the situation last Thursday. On Friday, after consultation with John Kraft, in Chicago, according to Crosby, their offer was withdrawn. Kraft reverting to their original for twenty-six broadcasts, whereupon Crosby decided to go to court.”

(“Variety” 16th January 1946)

14. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I was referring to the show from 1949 which is the post prior to your question.

15. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

I listen to a lot of Radio Archive via BBC IPlayer, tape and disc from yesteryear some of it brilliant
    But I have never heard as clean a recording as that first Bing /Kraft show on this thread

16. Dr. Pepper

Most of the shows on this thread are pretty clear and thank you for noticing. I want to thank you and everyone else that have been having this discussion about the mid 40's Bing Crosby shows, because it made me do some research and find out that I was missing almost a dozen shows that I should have. I tracked them down and will be presenting them in high quality sound next year in this thread thanks to all of you!

Jason W likes this.
  17. Dr. Pepper

18. wvk3

wvk3 Senior Member

Belated thanks for all of these. They're great!

:tiphat:

19. Dr. Pepper

I'm glad you are enjoying them! I sure do. I've never heard anything quite like them. They are like a casual musical history lesson by a very entertaining and laid back musical legend. A true musical treasure.

20. Dr. Pepper

DmitriKaramazov and paulmock like this.
  21. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

22. Dr. Pepper

You bet! An awesome episode is coming up tomorrow, Bing does a fun duet with guest Groucho Marx!

23. Dr. Pepper

From 65 years ago this week, here is a fun episode with some really great songs that I hadn't heard before, and comedy legend Groucho Marx as guest with some very risque jokes about "greasing up" Peggy Lee!

Bing Crosby Podcast 1950-01-11 (017) Guest Groucho Marx

[​IMG]
    No. 17 11th January 1950

Transcribed in Hollywood. Announced by Ken Carpenter. With Jud Conlon’s Rhythmaires, Peggy Lee and Groucho Marx.

*Where The Blue Of The Night Opening Theme

Comedy Dialogue (a) Bing Crosby & Ken Carpenter

*Little Jack Frost Get Lost (b) with Peggy Lee & Rhythmaires

*Chesterfield Jingle with Rhythmaires

*The Big Movie Show In The Sky (c) with Rhythmaires

When You Speak With Your Eyes Peggy Lee with Rhythmaires

Comedy Dialogue (d) Bing Crosby, Groucho Marx & Peggy Lee

*The Look In Your Eyes (e)

*Play A Simple Melody (f) with Groucho Marx

*You’re Wonderful (g)

Where The Blue Of The Night Closing Theme

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  24. Dr. Pepper

Here is Bing with Spike Jones form 70 years ago this week!

Bing Crosby Show 1945-01-11 Kraft Music Hall - Guest Spike Jones

[​IMG]

No. 354 11th January 1945

With Ken Carpenter, The Charioteers, Eugenie Baird and Spike Jones and his City Slickers.

*Dance With A Dolly (With A Hole In Her Stocking) with Chorus

*What A Difference A Day Made

Tabby The Cat The Charioteers

I’m Making Believe Eugenie Baird

Cocktails For Two Spike Jones and his City Slickers

*More And More with Chorus

Medley from “College Humour

*Down The Old Ox Road (a) with Chorus

*Learn To Croon

*Moonstruck with Chorus

25. Dr. Pepper

70 years ago today two music legends appeared together!

Bing Crosby Show 1945-01-18 Kraft Music Hall - Guest Duke Ellington

[​IMG]

No. 355 18th January 1945 (a)

With Ken Carpenter, The Charioteers, Eugenie Baird and Duke Ellington.

*Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate The Positive (b) with The Charioteers

There Goes That Song Again Eugenie Baird

Runnin’ Wild (c) The Charioteers

Frankie And Johnny Duke Ellington (Piano) with Chorus

*You’ve Got Me Where You Want Me (d) with Eugenie Baird

Medley from “Mississippi

*Down By The River (e) with Chorus

*It’s Easy To Remember (e) with Chorus

*Soon (f)

*Swanee River (The Old Folks At Home) (d)

JAG likes this.