BING CROSBY & ROSEMARY CLOONEY: The New Recordings

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by Larry Jordan, Dec 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry Jordan

Larry Jordan Forum Resident Thread Starter

I wonder how many visitors to this forum have viewed the wonderful new PBS special on Bing Crosby that has been airing this month? It reminds you what a trend setter he truly was, a real innovator both vocally and in terms of helping develop tape recording through his support of Ampex.

Last year I produced a new CD called “Bing Crosby & Rosemary Clooney: The New Recordings.” It is based primarily on radio performances that had never been intended for commercial release (but which we obtained from our own network disk sources, cleaned up and remastered). I don't think most people reading this thread -- despite your status as audiophiles -- realize how incredible the fidelity is on our release. Most of these songs were recorded dry and we added reverb plus skillful EQing, to impart a richness of tone and a presence that reflected a more natural acoustic ambience. Then I worked with some incredibly talented musicians who have played with major league stars, to turn mono originals into exquisitely beautiful stereo recordings.

I admit I'm bragging on this, not because my ego needs a boost but I just think this CD is so spectacular, if you are a Bing or Rosey fan at all, you need to be aware of this release. You can hear some audio samples at a Canadian website on Facebook. Here is the direct link: https://good-music-store.myshopify.com/products/bing-crosby-rosemary-clooney-the-new-recordings

I'm also going to go out on a limb here and say there ain't nothin' else out there on these two artists that showcases them in a better light. They were both in the best voice of their lives when these were done (1950s to early '60s) and when comparing these tracks to the commercial releases before and since, you will likely deduce the songs on this CD are rather dramatically superior. It may seem cliche to say this, but it truly is as if they just recorded these songs today.

Bing was much more than just the singer of "White Christmas," although about the only time you hear him on the radio is during the holiday season. If you have never heard him sing other songs you don't know how great he truly was, or what an underrated singer Rosemary Clooney was as well. Happy Holidays everyone!

Tord and Jason W like this.
  2. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Advertising for a bootleg here? Get the Mosaic Box sets from both Bing and Rosie

Jason W likes this.
  4. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

man, i love that Mosaic Bing box. I need to check out the Rosemary.

5. Larry Jordan

Larry Jordan Forum Resident Thread Starter

ADVERTISING FOR A "BOOTLEG"? Come on. How ludicrous. What is your definition of a bootleg anonymous "Tribute"? I knew the minute we came out with anything that was better than the Mosaic overpriced box set that stars Buddy Cole on the dreadful Hammond organ and Rosey singing back-up that we'd be assailed.

Just as we were last year when the new CD "Bing Crosby & Rosemary Clooney: The New Recordings" was issued.

The sound on those latest Clooney Mosaic recordings is dry as burnt toast and her voice sounds unnatural

Be careful throwing terms like "bootleg" around. Both of these CDs are EU releases and are fully lawful products. The labels' owners have been in the business for years and done many releases, have exclusive recording artists signed, and done major label work. They are both fully conversant with the law and I don't think would appreciate your slandering them with false accusations. Under EU law, copyright in sound recordings expires in 50 years and copyright doesn't subsist in a copy of an old recording, meaning you can't merely remaster it and claim a new copyright. All of these recordings which were sourced from different material pre-date the end of 1962. All the MCPS fees are paid, the copyright in the NEW recordings (which feature new instrumentation) is owned by H&H Music Ltd. and Mint Audio in the UK respectively. So don't go throwing around reckless accusations.

Bing never sounded better than when he was showcased in the new musical settings. If you want to hear dry originals that don't do Ms. Clooney justice, fine. But anybody who checks out how beautiful these new overdubs sound -- and has an open mind -- will surely prefer that. Plus both CDs are priced at only $16.95 as opposed to nearly 100 bucks for those boxed sets.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
    PhantomStranger likes this.
  6. RonMc

RonMc Active Member

There is no basis for calling this cd a bootleg. As Mr. Jordan said above, it is absolutely legal. But I don't come at this from that perspective. I come at it musically. I have the Bing & Rosey cd. I also have the Bing Mosaic box. After listening to samples of the Rosey Mosaic box, I do not plan on getting that one. So much of the backing rendered so many of the songs almost lifeless. I don't understand how both of these stellar artists thought that godawful Hammond organ that Buddy Cole played, complemented their work. What it did was ruin otherwise beautiful songs. I have to admit, I had always been ambivalent about Rosemary Clooney. But not after hearing her on "Bing Crosby & Rosemary Clooney - The New Recordings". In this day and age, Bing Crosby has unfortunately been relegated to Christmas, which is a shame. The man had an unparalleled body of work and deserves better than just an occasional play around Christmastime. On this cd, you get a chance to see just how great an artist Bing Crosby was. By putting new music behind these 2 wonderful singers, their fantastic voices are showcased as they should be. Hearing the version of "Ebb Tide" alone is worth the price of the cd.

7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

melstapler likes this.
  8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.