Bing Crosby- "Silent Night" Version Help

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jonmayo15, Oct 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonmayo15

jonmayo15 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Recently I've been on a bit of a Bing Crosby kick and I'm looking for a version of the song "Silent Night". It was on a cassette tape I used to have and it was likely from a live radio broadcast. It had what my mother thought was a woman and what I thought was a man singing one of the verses.

Any help is appreciated. Sorry if my description is vague.

2. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

I can't help you right off, but Bing sang that song on his Kraft Music Hall shows at least once. www.radioarchives.com probably has it if it's available. There is also a CD of Bing Crosby radio Christmas songs on Delta, IIRC. I'll try to keep an eye out for it.

3. jonmayo15

Bumping this

4. jonmayo15

Bumping this because I found the version of the song I was talking about. Can anyone identify the singer in the second half of the song?

5. jonmayo15

Just bumping this to see if anyone knows.

6. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Maybe with his son? You might ask Dr. Pepper if he can identify the clip.

7. Ridin'High

Ridin'High Forum Resident

Did you find out?

I'm visiting this thread a couple of months late, and I don't have a definitive answer. But I took a look at Bing's discography:

http://www.jazzdiscography.com/Artists/Crosby/crosby.html

and came to the belief that apileocole is probably leading you on the right track.

At first, when looking at the discography, it would seem like we have our work cut out for ourselves: Bing sang this song in just about every single Christmas episode of his radio show(s), from the 1930s to the 1950s! ... (Well, okay, not truly in every single Christmas episode, but pretty close.)

Bing's discographer Jarbie lists over 30 Bing versions. All but a handful of those come from the radio.

Luckily for us, an inspection of the personnel of each radio version leads to a neat discovery: only one version fits the bill. The version broadcast on December 19, 1951 featured Bing in a duet with another solo male vocalist: his thirteen-year-old son Lindsay ... A pre-pubescent boy -- hence why you and your mom were at odds as to gender. (He was the youngest of The Crosby Boys and, sadly, the first out of two brothers who committed suicide.)

Jarbie also tells us that this version and/or the full episode can be heard in the following LPs:

DEJA VU LP 12": DVLP 2027 — THE BING CROSBY COLLECTION - 20 GOLDEN GREATS
    BLACK LION LP 12": BLM 52099 — WHITE CHRISTMAS - BING CROSBY (1982)
    FOX AMERICAN RETROSPECTIVES LP 12": MF210 — BING CROSBY - THE GREATEST CHRISTMAS SHOWS

I don't own copies of any of those, but anyone who has them or who has the 12/19/51 episode should be able to fully corroborate if the YouTube clip matches with what was heard in the broadcast ...

8. jonmayo15

Thank you for the help. I managed to find the cassette tape I first heard this track on, and it's called "The Bing Crosby Gift Collection" on Deja Vu, so it's likely the same version as on the first release you have listed. Thanks for likely settling this dispute.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.