Black Cat Lectraline Interconnect Review

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LeeS, Dec 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Excellent idea! :)
    Mine aren't.

2. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

Several of us had pestered Chris to do a balanced cable which was the impetus for the Xe version. It can be balanced or single ended.

3. LeeS

I will be getting some Lectraline XE in soon for audition.

4. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

Are you getting balanced or RCA?

5. LeeS

I think RCA for now but will do balanced soon.

6. LeeS

I've just put in Lectraline Xe Micro, a new entry level cable on my CD player. It's breaking in but I will share thoughts on it in a few days. Price is expected to be reasonable.

Later I will be listening to the new Lectraline Xe.

The whole system is now wired 100% in Lectraline on signal cables. Shunyata for power cables.

Audioquest, Shunyata Venom, Stereolab, and iFi for USB cables.

VinylRob likes this.
  7. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Nice

LeeS likes this.
  8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Going to try the XE Micro soon. Chris thinks around $250 a meter. Could be a great deal..

LeeS likes this.
  9. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

That's very cool LeeS con grad's, please continue to share your impressions as it coalesces, they would be most appreciated. Ironically, I too currently favor the new Shunyata power cords and hope to have those AND the Lectraline Xe everywhere else as well. Though the kit includes two favored Silent Source Ref. mains cables that may or may not stay.

LeeS likes this.
  10. LeeS

Sure, I will let you know how things developed. At 3 hours in, they are already well ahead of the Kimber Heros I had in before on the CD source. I'm trying them from the (using a Sony transport) Benchmark DAC1 Pre to the ARC Ref 3 preamp. More definition but the dynamics are incredible so far and wider soundstage.

If weather permits, I will leave the CD spinning on repeat overnight.

11. LeeS

The Kimber Hero is pretty good in this price range but this is a new level so far. I think you will like it.

12. unchilled

unchilled Well-Known Member

Hi Lee,
    Any further impressions on the Xe Micro? Curious if you've compared/contrasted with the original Lectraline.
    Thanks,
    Harvey

13. LeeS

Very close to original Lectralines. 90%+ of performance so far.

14. unchilled

unchilled Well-Known Member

Impressive. Thanks!

15. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Noticed a few days ago LectraLine Xe interconnects and speaker cable is apparently SOLD OUT on Stereomatic website. A good sign of its success. Wonder if Chris is moving on to yet another inspired line and configuration, or just can't keep up with demand or...?

16. Albert Ellis

Albert Ellis New Member

I just joined this forum and here is my first post. :) I have been researching cables and I have decided to try some LectraLine Xe ic from my JRDG Consummate preamp to my JFDG model 5 power amp. I also use a pair of Ray Lumley M-100 tube mono blocks that I switch back and forth with the JRDG. I just ordered a 4.5 m pair and I am anxiously waiting to try them out. They are replacing a cheap pair of Rocket Fish ics from Future Shop so I am pretty sure it will be an upgrade.

I have replaced other cheap ics (generic dollar store variety) recently (this month) with two pairs of Audience Au24e from my Lenco L75 turntable to the JRDG phono amp and from phono to preamp. A very big improvement in detail and soundstage. The sound also became more balanced where it used to be somewhat bloated for the bass. Tetra Artet cables have also replaced cheap ics for my Oppo BDP-95 BlueRay and Stax Quattro II players with similar improvements. My Acoustat 2+2 speakers seem quite revealing of cable changes so it should be interesting.

VinylRob, LeeS and jfeldt like this.
  17. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Welcome!

LeeS likes this.
  18. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

Welcome, and thanks for your impressions.

VinylRob and LeeS like this.
  19. Albert Ellis

Albert Ellis New Member

I just got my 4.5 m LectraLine Xe cables today. They replaced a Rocket Fish ic from preamp to power amp. First impressions are the sound is more balanced from top to bottom and the highs are more extended. Everything sounds more natural and open. And they haven't even broken in yet. I am very happy I took the chance on them, they have really opened up my system.

VinylRob likes this.
  20. Albert Ellis

Albert Ellis New Member

I just ordered a pair of Dragon Warlord power cords from the After Hours Audio website. I will be trying them on my tube mono block amps which have a pair of computer pc right now. They will be connected to a Consonance d-Linear 15 power filter so it will be interesting to see if upgraded pc will make a difference.

I am also waiting to see if Chris develops his Silver Heart speaker cable next year. Otherwise, I am going to try his Lectraline Xe speaker wire. This also gives me time to save up.

LeeS and VinylRob like this.
  21. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Welcome Albert

22. LeeS

I have found them to be an excellent cable. Glad it is working well for you.

23. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Recently I replaced a highly regarded cable, a Decware Silver Reference interconnect, with a LectraLine Xe RCA interconnect. Big difference. The sound was much smoother and seemingly went down deeper in the bass.

It wasn't that my system was edgy before but a touch of unnatural sizzle on the top end was now gone. The bass improvement was even more striking. The same day I changed the cables, I repaired my MartinLogan Grotto i subwoofer. Its amp board had gone south. The kind folks at MartinLogan sent me a new board under warranty. Again, earlier that morning I had replaced the Decware interconnect with a Black Cat one. The stereo sounded great. In the afternoon I installed the new amp board and put the sub back in the system. After listening for a record or two and liking having my sub back in the stereo, I noticed that I'd forgotten to turn the subwoofer on. Oops. That cool, deep bass I had heard? It had all come from the new Black Cat cable in the system. Who knew an interconnect could impersonate a subwoofer?
    The LectraLine Xe RCA cables are great interconnects, especially for the money. :edthumbs:

24. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

Man, you guys keep tempting me but I can't find how to purchase balanced versions anywhere online. Are they out of stock / not created any longer, or am I not looking in the right place?

25. Urban_boogie

Urban_boogie Well-Known Member

Any chance you've tried the H-1201 with different tubes? I doubt there's much to gain but interested nonetheless...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.