Black Crowes 2013 tour setlists

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sacsongs, Mar 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sacsongs

sacsongs Senior Member Thread Starter

I didn't see a previous thread so here you go boys and girls. For those that are interested, we can just add this thread show by show for one area to post. Thoughts?

Jealous Again
    Thick N Thin
    Hotel Illness
    Medicated Goo*
    Sister Luck
    Wiser Time
    She Talks to Angels
    The Last Place That Love Lives
    Whoa Mule
    My Morning Song
    High Head Blues
    By Your Side
    Thorn In My Pride
    Remedy
    Goodbye Daughters of the Revolution
    Soul Singing
    E:
    Descending
    Hard To Handle
    Hush*
    Willin’

2. Robamorican

Robamorican Forum Resident

I'd love to hear how HUSH was incorporated into H2H. From what I understand it was in the same jam. Medicated Goo seems to fit them.

SYMM - 5 songs
    SHMC - 4
    AMORICA -3
    3 SNAKES - 0
    BYS - 1
    LIONS - 1
    WARPAINT - 2
    BTF - 1
    non-album COVERS - 3

3. ne1

ne1 New Member

Well Hush was part of the H2H jam although I can't describe how they managed it; it was lengthy and well received though.

Fwiw my thoughts on the show follow.

I'm not the biggest fan of the first album but loading three songs into the first five certainly won the audience over, presuming that they needed to be won over that is.

All in all I have no issues with the covers, but for some reason I didn't enjoy the show quite as much as the last time they were in town. It could have been me though as The Academy isn't my favourite venue and I still think the band put on a good performance.

Given that it was the first night of the tour I'm sure that setlists will vary and that newcomers will settle in well. Chris jokingly made light of the relative ages when he assured us that "he isn't the son of any of the band members and is a full grown man".

To conclude, it's always good to see TBC and with the brothers on stage together there is hope for the future, I'd just be happier knowing that there was new material to follow.

Robamorican likes this.
  4. Robamorican

excellent! first hand view!!

how did Adam sound on Wiser Time & Descending? How was Jackie Greene?

I'm not confident about new material. I FEEL (not KNOW) that this tour is to help fund their solo projects.

5. JPJs Bass Guitar

JPJs Bass Guitar Forum Resident

"Rich and I aren't in a place in our lives where we can sit in a room and write an album's worth of songs," he says. "But we'll see how we are on a Black Crowes tour for a year playing the catalogue. If we can do that and be in a good place then it might open the door to see where it could go."

From this interview.

Graham and Robamorican like this.
  6. Robamorican

Wow, thanks! that was a great interview.. very open, which is rare lately for him

7. Graham

Graham Senior Member

It might be helpful to add the date and city of each performance, else it might become confusing! I've already posted my thoughts about this setlist - 24th March, Manchester - in another thread, but I'll summarise it - not impressed.

8. Graham

Graham Senior Member

9. cabowabodude5150

cabowabodude5150 Forum Resident

just got tickets for the baton rouge show in may. this will be my first time seeing the band, so stoked.

chad

10. ne1

ne1 New Member

Hmm the keys were possibly a little less fluid but that was probably a stylistic decision,I was just pleased to hear Descending again. Chris seemed to be watching to see when Descending would finish also.

The guitars grooved along nicely during the extended breaks but I couldn't see Jackie much from my spot (Rich side behind someone taller). I'd be hard pressed to critique Jackie vs Luther vs Marc vs Audley etc but there did seem to be a some difference in tone. Early days on the tour and certainly no cause for concern.

I suspect that you may be right about the tour funding other ventures and it would be a shame if the brothers couldn't work together on new material. For all the qualities of their solo projects I far prefer them together in TBC.

Robamorican likes this.
  11. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Nice setlist...looking forward to the Ryman show in a few weeks, hopefully will be loud & rockin' and a similar mix of stuff from the 90's albums.

12. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Great thread. Look forward to the sets.

13. Robamorican

see you at the Ryman!

14. Robamorican

I listened to a little bit of the first show. I'm hoping they warm up before the London shows a little bit.

15. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

I listened to about a third of it so far, & I'm pleasantly surprised. I'm no fan of "greatest hits" setlists, as the Crowes are capable of much more, but they managed to breathe some life into the warhorses. Jealous Again sounds like they actually put some effort into it arrangement-wise, and the drawn-out Wiser Time held my interest for all 14 minutes, which hasn't been the case for a few tours. Lets hope they keep up the effort and don't fall back into routine.

16. Robamorican

I wasn't thrilled. It wasn't BAD, don't get me wrong, but you can tell they haven't hit their stride, yet.

17. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

Yeah definitely some rough edges. This kind of feels like the start to the summer 1998 tour, in that there's a lot of potential for a great new phase if the egos don't drag them down into mediocrity.

18. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

That was a good read,but I didn't think "Warpaint" was their last album of original music???

19. Robamorican

it isn't. Before The Frost...Until The Freeze was. It was recorded at Levon Helm's barn. There's a DVD. I'm in it during Chris's "Charlie Manson" joke.. I'm the one NOT laughing lol

jeffrey walsh likes this.
  20. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

walrus said:
    Nice setlist...looking forward to the Ryman show in a few weeks, hopefully will be loud & rockin' and a similar mix of stuff from the 90's albums.​
    see you at the Ryman!

Which of the shows are y'all going to? We were fortunate to get tickets for both the electric and acoustic evenings. Should be a great weekend!

21. Robamorican

I'm going both. coming in from PA!! as of now, they're my only two shows. I MAY go to the Philly show, but I'm happy with Nashville.

22. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

Very cool! Should be a great weekend to visit Nashville since the shows coincide with Record Store Day. Third Man, Grimey's, The Groove and Great Escape all have free shows and/or good sales every year.

23. Robamorican

count me in!!!!

24. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Great show, I envy you.

25. Robamorican

too bad I wasn't on the board back then. I pass through Scranton on the way to Levon's!!

jeffrey walsh likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.