Black Crowes Live Vol. 1 & 2 on Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GMcGilli, Mar 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GMcGilli

GMcGilli Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anybody have these?

They are by Back On Black / Rock Classics

Released 2015 / UK
    180g Vinyl. Gatefold sleeve.
    Hype sticker reads 'Limited Edition Colour Vinyl'

Produced by Rich Robinson and Recorded at the Orpheum in Boston, MA on October 30 & 31, 2001. It was the last two shows before the band went on hiatus for several years.

Amazon Canada had these yesterday for $13CAD each with free shipping. 1 copy left on both so I grabbed them. 2xLP sets. They now show available only from UK after I bought them for double the price... I'd usually jump to Youtube first to try and get a rough idea of the sound quality - but couldn't seem to find this specific performance.

Pulled the trigger for the price since I love BC live....

2. Further

Further Forum Resident

No idea on the quality of these pressings but as far as the recording goes, it's the same as the Black Crowes Live CD. I was never a big fan of this one. Audley was mixed too low, Rich too loud and Chris is doing his over the top, coked to the max, welcome to the rock and roll show schtick. No wonder the band let it go out of print quickly.

I know that sounds harsh but there is MUCH better shows out there that represent the band properly doing what they did best - namely anything that includes Marc Ford.

3. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Thanks for saving me some $$, Further!

4. GMcGilli

Thanks. I've never heard that CD - or any of their older material live. For some reason, I'm digging BC live - on vinyl lately just as some good background ambience. I caught my daughter singing along to Movin' On Down The Line the other night when I had Warpaint Live on - so - wanna keep the vibe going on :)

Do you have any recommendations - as far as live on vinyl? I see that Live at the Greek '91 show - and the Trump Plaza show too?

5. Trump Plaza? I'm not familiar with that one. It must be a bootleg? I have Freak n Roll/Into the Fog and Wiser for the Time vinyl live boxes. They may be hard to find now.

6. bigal00769

bigal00769 Forum Resident

Just got Freak n Roll/Into the Fog on cd today from amazon. Says 2017 Silver Arrow. Reissue of the 2006 cd I wonder?

7. GMcGilli

Hmmm... Man I hope they repress the vinyl....

8. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

I have the live vol 1 and 2. Love them. They sound great. Also have the wiser for the time box.
    I could have got into the fog vinyl and passed. Big regrets

Jam757 likes this.
  9. GMcGilli

They had it on Amazon for $14CAD so just ordered it. If the quality is poor, no loss really. I've been to a lot of live concerts, and they always sound loud and fuzzy to me ;)

10. GMcGilli

Thanks! Looking forward to them!

11. Canadacrowe

Canadacrowe Forum Resident

Not on vinyl, but through the band's site you can buy archive recordings: nugs.net presents LIVEBLACKCROWES | Download MP3 FLAC

The 96 and 97 shows are uniformly great (excellent sound quality, excellent performances). If I was picking, Pamplona Spain or Berlin from 97 and either or both Chicago shows from 96.

"Black Crowes Live" is fine (I have it on CD), get a sense of what the band sounded like in 2001 and has a good version of Title Song. I've seen the vinyl a few times, never understood why it's broken into two different sets. I appreciated it more when it was released, but now for my live fix usually go back to the shows from the late 90s. Some of the later shows through the archives are also pretty good -- sounds on earlier shows was A+, some of the 08/09/10 shows are more like a B+/A-.

GMcGilli likes this.
  12. GMcGilli

I'm going to expand this thread a bit with info on other BC live sets available on vinyl through Amazon.

I'm just spinning the Trump Plaza 1990 vinyl right now. This cost me $14CAD through Amazon. There appear to be about 3 variations of this show released on LP. Also, it appears that the tracklisting varies slightly on them. While other versions complain that songs are listed which actually don't appear on the recording, this version has everything it says it has.

The sound quality is not bad - not great. Took a few minutes for me to adjust to it. Every instrument is audible, the crowd noise is not distracting - vocals are clear. At first the sound stage seems 'busy' but honestly - this probably sounds more like real, live rock concerts I've been to. This actually sounds like a band playing together on stage, rather than a live performance that sounds like a studio album with every detail fully articulated and separated by the mix afterwards. Packaging was good. Vinyl is 180g, and so clean and quiet it's actually better looking (clean), and sounding (quiet vinyl) than many other, more expensive LP's I've purchased in the past few months.

Ive been listening to the BC since Shake Your $ was release in '90 and I have every album in some format, but I've never seen them live and only recently since collecting LP's started to actually pay attention to their live shows. This set they played has songs I've never heard before (But I'm sure collectors have). Since they do play a lot of covers I thought they were covers, but CR announces the songs as "We have a new song" before playing them, or announces the name of the song itself as they start it... Italics are the songs I've never heard. I would love a studio version of You're Such A Pity...

Twice As Hard
    Kick The Devil Outta Me
    Sister Luck
    Jealous Guy
    Hard To Handle
    Could I've Been So Blind

You're Such A Pity
    Stare It Cold
    Jealous Again
    Encore Break
    Struttin' Blues
    Honkey Tonk Women

In ending - if you collect BC on LP and love their live shows, this is an easy purchase for the price.

13. I have had this on cd for years, and I dig it. You get some good Audley Freed era live tracks.

It's cheap, it's The Crowes still smokin'! grab it! I guess I better grab the vinyl as well

GMcGilli likes this.
  14. GMcGilli

Yeah I'm glad I grabbed it. I've never heard an early BC show - so I'm glad I have this.

I also have the Texan Tornado LP's, and the Live At The Greek '91 LP's coming in the next week. Have you heard those on any format?

Bernard hansen likes this.
  15. I have not heard those, except perhaps bootleg, but I'll check those out as well! Thanks!

16. GMcGilli

Spinning Live At The Greek '91 LP's right now. This is a good performance. Really good. There's a fair amount of Chris talking between the songs which is nice to have as I haven't had that on any other LP releases yet. The sound quality is very nice. Much better than the Trump recording. There's a nice solid bass riding through the songs which was lacking in the Trump Plaza release. All instruments are clear, vocals as well. Being that for the most part this is 1 year after the Trump show - and it's basically the first album again you can start to see that the BC were eventually going to go on to start jamming and letting their songs flow freely instead of just sticking to it all note for note every show.

Listening to more - and I like this - they sound very heavy. Probably the heaviest I've ever heard them sound. This is a rock concert :)

The vinyl is clear, flat and 180g it appears as it's thick and solid. Very quiet - no noise and the vinyl was spotless. Why are these unofficial releases pressed so well? Like the Trump release, there are some songs here that I've never heard before. The track listing is a bit different from CD versions of this show out there... 1 song difference - the LP artwork incorrectly lists the CD track listing.

Twice As Hard
    Thick N Thin
    You're Wrong

Seeing Things (Listed as Stare It Cold)
    Sister Luck
    Hard To Handle

Could I've been So Blind
    Shake 'Em Down / Get Back / Walk With Jesus

She Talks To Angels
    Dreams
    Jealous Again

This is a must buy IMO. I will play his one a lot.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  17. GMcGilli

Been spinning the Texan Tornado 1993 LP's. This is a good concert, and good one to check out after the Greek '91 show.

(I'm going in chronological order - which is why I haven't opened Live 1 & 2 yet). Slowly hearing new material played live has been fun...

Overall the sound is alright, no complaints. Overall the sound is thinner than the Greek concert but everything is for the most part clear, and the vocals sound really good. On a few occasions it seems like fights break out in the crowd as Chris stops the show to tell some people to get the hell out of there. Kinda fun to hear.

When listening I found a couple of odd things with the recording as a whole. I assumed that because of these happenings - that the CD master had been used - and some changes had to be made to accommodate porting it to LP - however that doesn't seem to be the case.

Before the song Twice As Hard Chris actually announces that the next song is Bad Luck, Blue Eyes Goodbye - But instead Twice As Hard plays... Bad Luck, Blue Eyes Goodbye is just missing - and it's not listed on the track listing. Weird they didn't edit that out.

Then after Twice As Hard the concert just fades out - like it's the end of a side. I actually got up to flip the record over when I heard this and saw there was still another sing left. And then the next song kicks in.

I don't have this on CD - but per Discogs - the track listing is identical.

A1 No Speak No Slave
    A2 Sting Me
    A3 My Morning Song
    B1 Thorn In My Pride
    B2 Twice As Hard
    B3 Black Moon Creeping
    C1 Thick N' Thin
    C2 Hotel Illness
    C3 Stare It Cold
    C4 Sometimes Salvation
    D1 Jealous Again
    D2 Remedy