Black Earth Rising political thriller BBC

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pastafarian, Sep 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident Thread Starter

We're up to episode 3 in what is both a fantastic drama and highly charged political thriller. Great performances from John Goodman and Michaela Coel, it seems like it's going to tackle the difficult subject of Colonialism in Africa with the gravitas it deserves.

2. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Looks interesting!

Is that the same woman who played the MI chief in Killing Eve?

3. Pastafarian

I don't think so but I can see why you asked the question. Killing Eve, is the other series I'm currently promoting to my friends, we seems to have had a good run of programs from the Beeb.

John B Good likes this.
  4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

She was great in Chewing Gum, a very good comedy series (at least S1). And speaking of a good batch of programs, Press is very impressive(!). Will defo watch Black Earth Rising.

5. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

On my to watch list, as is Press.

6. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Looks good. I'll be glad when it's available in the US. Netflix will eventually offer it, so I added it to My List.

7. Pastafarian

The BBC America site says you can stream via iTunes or Amazon doesn't look like you're advanced enough to have iplayer, here it was a Box Set before transmission on BBC 3.
    Where to Watch | BBC America

8. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

What do you mean by that? "You" as in me personally or the US? Either way it's rather derogatory.

9. Pastafarian

Well it was an example of English self deprecating humor, which may not translate well.

10. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Maybe it's just Canadians who get it ;)

11. Pastafarian

That's because you had a good upbringing and didn't leave us too early.

12. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

It's not self-deprecation if you refer to someone else! ;)

unclefred likes this.
  13. Pastafarian

It was an allusion to the conceit of the English, so I was referring to someone else. It's such a natural thing I don't quite know how to explain it to a outsider.

My response to John B Good makes it more obvious but the art requires subtlety to achieve the required standards.

14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

This is an amazing series. John Goodman is great, but Michaela Coel is mesmerizingly good. She's got so much screen presence and charisma that it's hard to take one's eyes of her. She was great in a comedic role in Chewing Gum, but here, it's a whole different level! Star in the making, I have no doubt.

Great mini-series and highly recommended. The door wasn't shut on another season, but it's hard to imagine how they could extend it given the focus of the series.

15. Pastafarian

I strongly expect we're in agreement on this one, although the last episode is tonight for me. I do have some concern that the journey was great but the end is a meh.

16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yeah, I kind of feel similar, the last ep could have been stronger. It felt more like an epilogue, but the journey was fantastic.

17. Pastafarian

Glad you didn't give any spoilers :laugh:.

I don't think there's a thread on The Cry, just finished it last night and it could have been better but so many curve balls on the way, it's thoroughly recommended.

18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

That's on my to-watch list, as is anything with Jenna Coleman in it! :)

19. Pastafarian

Unless I missed something, this was a complex thriller after all, episode 8 is the big reveal, democracy is a mirage. The real people controlling all this was more chilling than the series had prepared us for and yet not a surprise, if you're cynical enough.

A fantastic series, all brought together for what felt like a long sigh of a broken country and people.

20. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I'm 5 episodes in and I think it's really good. Great actors and an interesting story about a conflict I knew very little about.

21. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

Great series, not an easy watch but worth staying with to the end.

wolfram likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.