Black Friday Record Store Day 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Amnesiac, Aug 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinyl_Blues

Vinyl_Blues Slave to the Groove

I just listened to the Stevie Ray album. More accurately, I listened to Side A given that that was all I could tolerate with such poor sound quality. I compared the "Pride and Joy" track on this RSD live release with its counterpart on the studio album (my copy is an original vinyl release), and the latter is light years better. I realize that live cuts can struggle to match the sonics of a studio recording, but the gulf between the two here is pretty wide.

This SRV album has sonics that are distant, muddled, and two-dimensional. They completely lack any richness, depth, or texture. I say this as a huge SRV fan who wanted to love this album, and given that I also especially love the DVD. But this is a letdown. Not sure if I want to struggle through the rest of the album, we shall see.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
    Tommyboy and patient_ot like this.
  2. havenz

havenz Forum Resident

Tried to pick up True Detective OST... I always open new vinyl in the store to check for defects due to how many new LPs have issues; I don't like to make multiple trips back to the store. Sides A and D were completely littered with non-fill. Side D in particular had the problem from the first track all the way to the last. And, the sad poetry of the ordeal is that is was pressed at Rainbo. Avoid the US pressing if possible. Anyone know if this one was released in Europe?

The good news is the store I went to was having a 50% off vinyl sale! I picked up and original press Yo, Bum Rush the Show! by Public Enemy and a double Porky Led Zep IV ringing in at $8.10 total. Not too shabby.

3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

How about "Record Store DayS"

4. Captain Wrong

Captain Wrong Forum Resident

Mine too, FWIW. I emailed Light in the Attic, but haven't heard anything back yet. Slight bummer, considering this was the only release I wanted, but based on past experiences, I'm sure LITA will make it right and, if not, I know I own most of this stuff in a non-vinyl format somewhere.

5. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

I arrived at Fantasyland in Atlanta at 9:40, with a 20-person line. 10 more showed up behind me, then they opened at 10:00. And holy geez, was the one corner with RSD releases packed in! All the Black Friday shopping I need.

I got the Les Paul Christmas 10", Jerry Lee Lewis and Otis Redding EP. Also snagged some Frank Sinatra cassettes.

6. Trace

Trace Senior Member

I went especially for the Dictators 10", knowing full well it wouldn't be there. I arrived about an hour after the store opened and to my surprise, they had one copy left! That put me in a good mood, so I decided to treat myself to a few extras.

Dictators: Next Big Thing EP 10"
    BB King: The Thrill Is Gone 10"
    Les Paul & Mary Ford: Christmas Cheer 10" (Green)
    Elvis Presley: If I Can Dream 7"
    Johnny Cash: Live In Denmark 1971 2-LP
    Steve Earle/Robert Johnson: Terraplane Blues 10" (RSD 2015 Leftover)
    The Sonics: 8 10" (from 2010)

Glad I passed on the SRV after hearing reviews. I really thought $34.99 was too much for this one. Also passed on the Sonics box because I have really nice copies of all their records and just couldn't justify the price ($54.99). Also passed on Garbage due to the price ($46.99!). My two big spends (if you want to call them that) were Johnny Cash ($27.99) and The Dictators ($24.99-ouch!). A bit disappointed that the JC was not a nice gatefold cover. It's just a standard single sleeve with 2 records inside.

7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

[
    I kinda lusted after Carl Perkins. Good sonics, eh?

8. RJ3000

RJ3000 Forum Resident

Just listened to it and I agree completely. So happy I picked this one up.

9. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

Eurgh, I'm still on the fence about that Sonics box. Pretty sure the third LP only features a couple songs that aren't on the Norton reissues of their first two albums, so all I'm getting are those plus the interview book and poster. Are the versions of Here Are The Sonics and Boom exact replicas of the originals, devoid of A Light in the Attic logos or anything else of the sort? That would be nice.

Regardless, definintely hoping to get Carl Perkins and maybe Jerry Lee online.

10. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Just finished listening to this. Excellent. They really can't reissue the others fast enough.

Got all the RSD releases I was looking for today, plus UK originals of two original Bert Jansch albums, two Laura Lee albums, new albums by The School, Kelly Stoltz, and Magic Castles, the Blue Note 75 Art Blakey 10", a couple OJC albums, and a German pressing of A Hard Day's Night that I really didn't need, but somehow felt compelled to buy anyway.

Good times.

11. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

I was afraid someone was going to say that :(

12. Blank Slate

Blank Slate Forum Resident

Sorry to hear it. This title was at the top of my list and I found one. Now I'm not so anxious to get home and listen to it.

13. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Grabbed NIN Halo set, Beck single, John Lee Hooker, Stone Sour and BB King.
    Not much of a line but that was expected. BFRSD is never as big as the one in April.

14. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

Any reviews of the Sonics box yet?

15. serge

serge Forum Resident

what shop?

16. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

Musically, I'd give it maybe an 8.
    Historically, I'd rate it a solid 9
    Sound quality is basically bootleg or old FM quality (essentially what they are), and they are all mono: I'll give it a 6.

Overall, unless you are a true fan or completeist, I might recommend passing on this one.

numanoid and patient_ot like this.
  17. anodyne

anodyne Forum Resident

I would love to hear your review of the NIN set. Was very tempted by it, but, given the expense, I passed it by because of the lack of info about its provenance. Ended up getting the Carl Perkins LP and Nick Lowe/Los Straitjackets and they are both delightful.

patient_ot likes this.
  18. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Did the Sonics (3LP) box set sell out?

19. Blank Slate

I enjoy both versions of RSD because it provides a great way to spend time with my son. He is slowly mixing vinyl into his music collection. He enjoys perusing the list, reading up on the various titles and planning the day. For Black Friday RSD we are usually in NE Ohio visiting family. There are a few participating locations within 45 minutes so we have managed to pick up our fair share of items over the last couple of years.

This year we got to the first stop about 45 minutes after opening. There were only a few customers in the store. We quickly found the items we were looking for. We then spent some time looking throughout the rest of the store and picked up a few non RSD titles. I considered adding the Massey Hall set to my purchase but the $59.99 price tag scared me off

We got to the second location at around 2 pm. This is a small shop that doesn't get a lot of RSD product but it is in my parent's home town so I like to give him some business when I am in town. We were the only customers in the store. To my surprise he had one copy of the Massey Hall set priced at $40. I grabbed it with a smile on my face and considered it a good day.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all

20. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Only grabbed Hendrix, nothing else of interest really. Might grab a Bohemian Rhapsody at a later date.

21. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

I don't know but other places but they has a couple left at my shop. I picked one up and it's a pretty sweet package. Sound is stright foward and clean.

scotth and Tjazz like this.
  22. Embracetheday

Embracetheday Forum Resident

$40?? That had to be mispriced tag--luck you!

23. MGChicago

MGChicago Forum Resident

I got the SRV record, Wes Montgomery, and the Waylon live album. Also got the Eazy-E Christmas 7", because I have a daughter who is almost 11 months old and when my wife hears it playing she's gonna freak out.

Honestly, I thought the SRV record sounded great. I had the house to myself and was able to play it at a good volume.

24. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Did anyone pick up the Transformers soundtrack? Seems like that might be a cool release.

Also, does the Mellencamp happen to come with a download card?

25. Blank Slate

I'm not sure what it was supposed to be but that seemed like a good price to me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.