Black Friday Record Store Day 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Amnesiac, Aug 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

That Carl Perkins is sounding like a winner.

2. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

I went back and picked up a copy of Eric Matthews' It's Heavy in Here - just for fun. I didn't expect much and that is a good thing - flimsy sleeve, noisy pressing, serviceable sound - it's a Pirate Press. I have some great sounding records that were pressed there, this one is nothing too special, but does sound good. On the plus side, this is a great album, and the silver vinyl is really cool to look at.

3. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I got through the first side only. I'm not a huge SRV fan, but thought the performances were pretty good. The sound quality is akin to a mediocre bootleg. Sony doesn't haven't anything else better in the vaults that sounds better than this show? Shockingly bad sound quality.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  4. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

The Jerry Lee is on ORG. You should've grabbed it. All of the previous ORG early rock releases on colored vinyl have been exceptional and quiet.

Dave_B80 and Larry Loves LPs like this.
  5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I listened to the Jerry Lee Lewis album and Carl Perkins album on Amazon and I think I like the selections better on the Carl Perkins album. Some good country twang. I have so much damn JLL. I still haven't finished listening to the Bear box set! Anyway, I've got a cold and I'm listening to Beethoven symphonies today in a warm room. Somehow it's more fitting and makes me feel better. Now for some brandy...

Ben Adams likes this.
  6. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I getcha.

I just enjoy having gorgeous vinyl reissues of these rare classic albums in my collection. It's like I feel I owe it to rock n' roll. Weird, huh? :)

7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Hey, man, the older I get, the more I appreciated the simplicity and purity of these rock and roll classics. :winkgrin:

8. schugh

schugh Forum Resident

I just got the jazz at Massey hall and the Zappa albums.
    But blackbyrd here in Edmonton also puts their regular stock at 20% off and that's what I really look forward to so I can get the MOFI and Analogue Production albums for a very nice price and I picked up a few. Also got the Simon and Garfunkel set for a nice price.

Tommyboy likes this.
  9. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Anybody buy the two Bowie releases?
    Outside and earthling?

Very curious if they sound good

Or are a botched job

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  10. redflag

redflag Forum Resident

I haven't listened to the bonus material or read the book yet. That said, this thing is a winner. Sounds great, vinyl is flat and noise free after a cleaning. The packaging is well constructed and looks killer on the shelf. Going to tear into this thing for real tomorrow.
    Obviously, nothing audiophile about it, but it just sounded better and better as I raised the volume. Really can't go wrong with it. I have no idea if it's analog or digital sourced (I'm going to guess digital because that seems to be the way of things), but I don't care. If you can find it, buy it.

scotth likes this.
  11. bootbox

bootbox Forum Resident

Really excited to have picked up a copy of The Cardigans - Long Gone Before Daylight today. Got it on my turntable and while the sound quality is pretty good, it's badly warped and there's a 'thump' between each track where it sounds like someone pausing and unpausing the master to put in track gaps. First time I've ever heard anything like it honestly, real head scratcher.

12. whisper3978

whisper3978 Forum Resident

What? Oh great.

13. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Sorry, I havent had a chance to open and wash it yet. Hopefully some time this weekend.
    I did notice that the Head Like a Hole EP has a different jacket than the originals

anodyne likes this.
  14. bward

bward Senior Member

I got to the store 1/2 hour before opening, and was first in line. Couldn't believe it.
    I picked up the Paul McCartney/Michael Jackson release (only thing on my list). But on the way to the cashier, my eye caught the Neal Hefti 7"Batman/Batsui on yellow vinyl and could not resist. I was going to pick up Carl Perkins, but with two kids in college, and Christmas fast approaching, I decided (for once) to be responsible.

As far as RSD goes, I like it. There was just a handful of folk in line with us. I had a nice conversation with other record hounds about what they were shooting for, and about concerts we've all attended. It was a nice community thing.

So, I'm hoping RSD keeps going. And to be honest, a limited release list is nice. The crowds were significantly down, and there was still some fun items to check out.

As far as waiting in line, well, I've recently been introduced to the finer points of New England craft beer (Heady Topper. Sip of Sunshine) and I'm getting used to waiting in line for the good stuff. Even at my age.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  15. kman

kman Forum Resident

this the only album that tripped my trigger this RSD BF and I have not opened it yet ---- so sad this has turned out to be a pos recording

16. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

Mono, right? Weird how there isn't any information about the mastering, mix, or anything.

17. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Anyone purchase the Carl Perkins Dance Album? Wondering about the QC and sound on that pressing.

BB KING 10 inch 4 song too. Had one in hand but changed my mind.

18. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Yeah, we can hope. It would be nice to have all the albums an Gala on vinyl, well pressed, nice sound, and all that.

captainsolo, e.s. and BeardedSteven like this.
  19. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

The ones I have that were pressed in Germany are also exceptional and quiet.

But the Sun Vol 2, by "Pirates Press", is noisy and has a nasty scratch.

20. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Opened up the B.B. King and its got a good size scrape across the first track. Have not cleaned or played it yet, hoping it doesnt affect play.

21. POGunter

POGunter Forum Resident

I would give this a chance as like minded people can disagree. I have copies of this SRV concert going back to laserdisc. It is a low budget relatively early prefomance document of a legend in the making. I find the sound quality of the RSD vinyl on par with earlier video versions. The raw nature of the recording fits the venue.

The ambiance of the performance comes through nicely and the soundstage/instruments/vocals are resonably well presented given the low tech nature of the recording. Overall frequency response is limited but I have no problem turning up the volume and admiring SRV's unique talent.

My vinyl was pressed well. Flat and quiet. This surprised me as white vinyl seems to often be noisy. The barebones package fits the release but a download code and a two page four sided insert with a few period photos and background would have been nice for the price. Overall I really like this and will be giving it repeat listening.

As Someone else mentioned we need some addional live releases from the vaults as there must be some great high quality live SRV stuff yet to come out but don't be afraid to give this one a try.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  22. kman

kman Forum Resident

thank you for the insight
    i will just have to crank it up

23. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

I used to love record shaped cookies-we called them "round" back in the day. More of a Hydrox than an Oreo fan,though cheap oatmeal ones at a buck a bag did the trick may a time. Now that I'm, Diabetic 2,my doctor said no more round cookies. And square ones...and those ones that look like animals. I can't even bite their heads off and put them back in the bag like one of my kids did when real small.

24. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Love the music though.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  25. Wade Burrow

Wade Burrow Bound to get lucky

I contacted Light in the Attic concerning this release. Morgan Chosnyk was very honest about the sources and mastering. Here is his response to me by email:

Hey there,

Audio was restored by Dave Cooley at Elysian Masters using a mixture of analog and digital tools, which is typical of all LITA releases. Sources for cutting lacquers were delivered digitally to John Golden at John Golden Mastering (he personally cut all the sides). We have experimented with fully analog mastering to cutting before but found that the level of restoration work routinely needed for our reissues necessitates a thoughtful and considered combination of the best analog and digital tools.

Thanks,

Morgan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.