Black Friday Record Store Day 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Amnesiac, Aug 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Yes. I liked it. Cut by Ray Janos. I think it was pressed at United. Could be wrong. That would be the only downside. Good sound and enjoyed the performances.

Hershiser likes this.
  2. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

I bought Mellencamp's Scarecrow. Nice jacket and record. Anyone know who 'RM' might be in the dead wax?

3. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Isn't that Ron McMaster, often works for Capitol Records?

4. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

Thanks. I haven't read anything good on him so far. I should listen to the record and compare it to my RL MASTERDISK original :)

5. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Just received The Clash RSD release this morning, when I read about this sticker I genuinely thought it was a wind up!!

[​IMG]

patient_ot likes this.
  6. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

A few came with those stickers, but none of the titles I bought. Can anyone confirm if they sound any more/less noisy? or is just to cover their a$ses with people making returns.

7. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

LOL! would NOT buy! WTF?
    Thats very strange.

8. BenN

BenN Well-Known Member

Some labels have even started warning customers about "specialty" vinyl (ie colors other than black etc) saying if you want the best sound quality to go for the black option. That is the second actual warning sticker I have seen besides these emails from labels.

Which is odd, as personally I have never had specific problems with coloured vinyl...I do have problems across the board with quality control (scratches, non fill/stitching/etc) regardless of colour or standard black presses.

The cynic in me thinks this is now the plants & labels response to rapidly slipping quality control...do nothing about it as it wont change due to time pressures on plants so hey, lets start putting quality disclaimers out there..?

scotth, Larry Loves LPs and Blender like this.
  9. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Ron McMaster?

10. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

The Clash sounded just fine, like an average new black vinyl LP.

This really isn't far off from the "record care" instructions that used to be on the back cover and inner sleeves of LPs from the '50s through the early '70s.

e.s. likes this.
  11. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

You're right, but instructing people to adjust their tracking force, anti-skate and cartridge alignment due to the color of the vinyl is just wrong. If someone has a well-set-up table, doing all that stuff could really mess it up. That sentence should have never made it onto the sticker.

But as others have pointed out, I think labels are getting fed up with collectors who return records over very, very minor imperfections -- or for issues that are the result of their own set-ups. To give one example, I see a lot of folks on this forum complain about pronounced sibilance on their LPs, apparently unaware that sibilance can be heavily influenced by tracking force and vertical tracking angle.

Ben Adams and e.s. like this.
  12. K. Jones

K. Jones Forum Resident

Saw that sticker too and its part of the reason I didn't buy it.

13. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Its BS.
    "Our Quality control is what it is, which is not good...so suck eggs".

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  14. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

It's bad enough that Record Store Day releases are non-returnable in the first place but at least these stickers give the consumer fair warning on whether to risk the purchase. I hope this practice doesn't become more prevalent. That would make me wonder if even reasonable quality control has taken a back seat.

15. Vinyl Addict

I wasn't aware of this. I returned a John Lee Hooker LP 2 weeks after RSD. My daughter bought me one too, so I returned mine.

16. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

Interesting. I assume then that the copy you returned was unopened and maybe that's a different story....or you know the person at that particular store and he/she did you a favor.

17. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Except it was just fine.

e.s. and Tom Campbell like this.
  18. Vinyl Addict

Yes it was unopened, but a return is a return

POGunter likes this.
  19. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I just picked up the Dance Album of Carl Perkins from Bullmoose. It sounds okay. Quiet surface and pale blue translucent vinyl. The music is great.

What's bothering me about this is that it sounds a bit dry and there's no bass or lower end or lower midrange bloom. It's rolled right off. I have heard recordings from this era, even Sun recordings, and have heard more bass. I'm wondering if this might have cut from a CD or something. I'm going to venture that it sounds like it has been so digitally cleaned up that some of the life is gone with the cleaning.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  20. cement_head

cement_head Forum Resident

Question about the High Fidelity Soundtrack (2 x LP, Orange, Numbered): Is the jacket "pre-worn" to make it look vintage?

21. cement_head

Often, new vinyl quiets down after a few spins. Especially if you clean it first (i.e. SpinClean)

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  22. Vinyl Addict

Yes, I'm aware of that. I was referring to the stickers that came on some LPs on BF.

23. cement_head

Yeah, a lot of people have no idea about this, especially those new to vinyl, and so they freak out at the first spin.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.