Black Friday Record Store Day 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Amnesiac, Aug 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. parisisburning

parisisburning Well-Known Member

Many record stores here in France participate on black friday

2. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

There's too much milking of Big star going on. Every time I turn around, there's songs discovered, new mixes, etc. they are taking advantage of the cult of fans

3. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Canada does Black Friday RSD and don't do Thanksgiving in November.

Though 90% of Canada lives near the US border so they are familiar with the concept of Black Friday cross border shopping.. Just like Americans near the border sometimes come up for Canadian boxing day sales depending on the exchange rate.

Jim B. likes this.
  4. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

From Wiki:

In 2013 Asda (part of Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.) announced its "Walmart's Black Friday by ASDA" campaign promoting the Black Friday concept in the UK. A number of other online and instore companies are now embracing the American tradition, although others appear sceptical, with one trade publication labelling it 'simply an Americanism, which doesn't translate very well.'
    In 2014, more
    UK-based retailers adopted the 'Black Friday' marketing scheme than ever. Included are ao.com, very.co.uk, John Lewis and Argos. They offer massively discounted prices to entice Christmas shoppers. During Black Friday sales in 2014, police forces were called to stores across the United Kingdom to deal with crowd control issues, assaults, threatening customers and traffic issues.

Not being anti Amercian or anything but you can keep your blooming Black Friday!

5. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I was never a fan of Black Friday even when it was limited to Friday only. Now a lot of the stores start their sales on Thursday which in the US is Thanskgiving which is a national holiday.

6. SoundAdvice

Those stores force employees to work on Thursday instead of letting them go home and eat with Family.

jsayers likes this.
  7. #OneOccupation

#OneOccupation Well-Known Member

8. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

9. LUNACHUCK

LUNACHUCK Forum Resident

YESSSSSSS!!!!! I was just talking about this in the Dead thread a few days ago! I was hoping this would get a vinyl release!!!!!!

They can scrape my barrel all they want if this is what I get in return! Couldn't be more excited about this release. The compositions done for the Fare Thee Well setbreak montages are awesome!!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  10. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

This is not the full list of releases I would hope, as it's a really dull list compared to the groovy things generally seen on a Record Store day in April list. It's exceptionally boring to those of us with large collections and own a ton of this stuff already. Sorry to be a party pooper.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  11. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

Posted on Facebook

drivingfrog likes this.
  12. Alfie Noakes

Alfie Noakes Not Dark Yet....

Big Star - Complete Third Box Set!?! First I've heard of that.... awesome

13. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

As long as I've been following RSD, the Black Friday one usually hasn't gotten as many really big, exciting releases as the "main" RSD in April. This is par for the course.

14. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Dave Matthews Band Live Trax 5 confirmed for BF. Pink vinyl, 2000 pressed. Not my favorite LT, but decent. I have the rest, so I'm in. Also waiting for the BF Blind Melon Soup reissue confirmation, heard it from a good source, so I'm hopeful. Those 2 releases make it a good day for me.

15. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

16. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Just BB for me thus far, maybe Wolf?

17. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Agree, it is more about particpating with Christmas sales and that of course is the grandaddy.

18. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Joan Jett: First Sessions.

19. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I'm I reading right that this is an EP that retails for $33.50? That can't be right, can it?

20. I was very interested in it until I saw your post. If that price is correct, or even close to correct, I'll be passing on that title.

21. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

If anyone cares unless I hear otherwise it's pretty safe to assume that NIN box is not approved by Trent and he is probably very pissed about it.

22. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

A quick look and there are only few things I care about, NIN, Bowie, and Big Star.

I'm not buying the NIN I doubt it's from Trent and I'm sure it will just be an overpriced slip cover with nothing fancy about it. If it turns out to be some really nice package I MIGHT change my mind.

I buy everything Big Star and Bowie, but yeah I'm kinda tired of it and price gouging collectors right before Christmas as of this moment kind makes me feel literally sick.

For the record though I'm in pain and have been sick for a few months and I'm waiting to have surgery, plus in really crappy mood today. So I might have a totally different outlook a month from now.

23. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I know from previous posts you've made, that you generally love RSD. I hope that you get to feeling better.

24. SoundAdvice

It may not be Trent approved, but he doesn't that angry about stuff anymore. He seems really happy with marriage and 2 kids(they did all tour dates). He even autographs the unapproved stuff.

25. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Yeah I do still love RSD, and I liked the Black Friday thing the first few years when it was mostly Christmas records and a few small really cool things.
    This year seems to have crossed a line with me though very few Christmas items so far and a ton of overpriced other items by the same set of hey collectors love these artists type artists. It was fun to go in buy a few gimmicky Christmas records and pick up a few other things. But last years Christmas items gathered dust so this year it's "hey they've been buying up those soundtracks!." Now normally I would have no issue with this, you put out what people want and what moves, but this should be about the damn Holidays or at least have the illusion that it is.

Also to be fair it's not just RSD Black Friday, it's Black Friday in general transitioning from the start of the GIFT buying season to HEY HUGE SALES CONSUME!

It's not like I can tell my family hey I really want that Bowie LP that will be sold out unless you buy it the first day.

Again I would kinda feel this way anyway but my health and mood put me in a giant f the whole consumerist regime kinda mood.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.