Black Mirror-Season 4

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, Dec 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I really liked this season. More consistant then the previous ones (& I liked most of those episodes as well).

Higlander likes this.
  2. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

The one with the Dr & the hairnet thing was based on a Penn Jillette story.

3. Wow, there are many in here whom I respect their opinions about TV shows, and while I liked the first 3 seasons of Black Mirror, I'm sorry to disagree, that Season 4 has been horrible 3 episodes in.

Really bad.

There is the suspension of disbelief that is part and parcel to any sci-fi show; however, like Indiana Jones in the lead-lined ice box, my suspension can only dangle so far.

The first episode was the best (though I couldn't dig on the corniness of it all).

Episodes 2 and 3 we're almost unbearable.

C'mon, the guinea pig rats her out with his memories!? Then the police show up at the school function within minutes? I suppose the guinea pig knew where she was going, too.

When homebody and killer chick hit the dude on the bicycle, you just knew they would do the thing that all dumb asses must do when they accidentally run over somebody. Wait! I know! Instead of sobering up first, getting rid of any constraband in the car, and then calling the police, we'll compound matters by dumping the corpse. Then, when killer chick doesn't like it when I want to write a letter, I'll let the scrawny tart kill me with one arm (which, by the way, wasn't even across my throat to begin with).

I'm just saying, the show was in the real world - our world - set in the future, so physics should not change.

I noticed that Ep. 1 had a device that stalker dude stuck to his temple. Ep. 2 had a little girl injected with a needle that doesn't hurt right in her temple. For Ep. 3 we got some combo action, where they had a device that attaches to your temple, but with this device it's affixed to the person via a needle that doesn't hurt, too.

I hope the next 3 episodes are better, but you guys are saying they're aren't quite as "good." :D

Ghostworld likes this.
  4. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

First time viewer. I saw the USS Callister episode. Nice, but, 76 minutes long? There was a half-hour of story there. It was one of the only times I have ever considered playing a show at faster than 1x speed.

I will watch another episode - any suggestions, from any of the seasons, to give me a better impression of what the show can do?

5. Oh yeah, man. Travel back in time to view the first season and then work your way forward to the future. That very first episode of Season 1 will grab you by the snout!

6. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident Thread Starter

My favorites are season 3, episode 1, Nosedive and season 3, episode 4, San Junipero.

Higlander and will_b_free like this.
  7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Black Mirror.
    Any other tv series comparison?

8. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

mr robot

alexpop likes this.
  9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Thx no thx.:)

10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Agreed. Loved the Star Trek opener, but I’m finding many of the episodes lackluster compared to the previous seasons. It’s just not as clever or well written and the shows seem draggy. I liked the robot dog episode for its simplicity and nice production effects, but only Star Trek and the dog so far gave me much pleasure.

11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Anyone notice how so many science fiction shows (especially "Black Mirror") have stolen the musical style of Jonathan Glazer's "Under the Skin?"

Despite doubting it was going to be good, the final episode about the Black Museum turned out to pay off inicely. So I'll call it a 3-good show season!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  12. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

Yeah, 3 good episodes, one fair, two pretty bad!

13. Higlander

Higlander Well-Known Member

I thought they were all just "Okay/sorta good" while initially watching them.

Now looking back after several days, it was actually a quite good season, and I think my anticipation or expectations kinda ruined the initial viewing. I was expecting the excitement of the first few times I saw the show maybe.

14. Higlander

There are several really good episodes. But.....
    Each episode is very different, and while they are similar as far as Technology and a bit in the future, they all have various styles and moods, and what may work for one may not be what is seen as great to another.
    The Christmas episode, or San junipero, Nosedive, or 15 Million merits I like a lot, but they are all radically different types of episodes.

Encuentro likes this.
  15. That's the point. Your preferred ending is far too extreme a punishment for her ethical lapse. The ending used left open the door for the mother's redemption. You may not find it dark enough, but I prefer it over the easier (and more obvious) ending you would have preferred.

Solaris likes this.
  16. The Metalhead episode was perhaps the most spine tingling for me as our current technology is not that far from being able to create these robot monsters. The ending reveal regarding the purpose of their mission was the only weak moment for me. Not plausible under the circumstances.

Mr. Grieves, GodShifter and Higlander like this.
  17. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

I thought it was entirely plausible and quite poignant; an example of kindness and human nature/nurture in an unkind (unexplained) world.

blackholesun likes this.
  18. God no. Mr. Robot is nowhere near the quality of Black Mirror in story and execution. If you get your kicks following the unreliable narrator then Mr. Robot is for you.

19. The mother gives the daughter the anti-pregnancy medication. But how did the mom know she was pregnant? It's this key event that leads to the story's conclusion but they didn't explain it well. And it seems like an extreme action for the mom to take, regardless.

20. Higlander

I think simply knowing what the daughter did (the mom watched it happen on the Cam) one could easily assume she would be.

21. Werner Berghofer

Werner Berghofer Forum Resident

I think the animal witness was a guinea pig, but not a hamster.

Anyway, I thought it might be a little difficult to ask the animal to “rewind” its memories back to a certain moment in time that evening.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    SomeCallMeTim and Shawn like this.
  22. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

I think it's because the program kept track of the daughter's metrics (narcotics alert, etc) and therefore knew she was pregnant.

SomeCallMeTim, Shawn and Higlander like this.
  23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Yeah, I bet B0st0n Dynamics loved that episode.

24. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

My guess is you'd get lots of great footage of someone looking longingly at a food dish and licking the fur on the back of his legs.

SomeCallMeTim and Pete Puma like this.
  25. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

wont all humans look the same to a hamster anyway?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.