Black Oak Arkansas

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 905, Aug 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steve722

steve722 Forum Resident

Tell us how you really feel.

samthesham and Borgia like this.
  2. I think they're pretty cool, especially if you wanna hear some good Southern Rock that isn't played to death on thee radio.

3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Yet another example of how without Facebook, I'd never meet (speak to) half these people otherwise.
    Rickie Lee Reynolds, a FB friend, who I've brought here to the forum before, posted some old pics of Jim Dandy, and I posted how I've always thought Jim likely got more tail than a toilet seat.
    A Piper Mangrum posted a TMI emoticon, and typed groooooooss under it. I looked her up, and saw she is Jim's daughter.
    I deleted my post, which took hers with it, and apologized via PM.
    Turns out she was screwing with me ! Pointed out how she's heard worse. Well yeah, but...okay. :laugh:

steve phillips and Dok like this.
  4. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Yeah, Rickie has been posting some pretty cool pics today.

Myke likes this.
  5. Myke

Chuck Berry opened for BOA ?!?!?!? Rickie Lee Reynolds says " yes, many times + he loved the band "

[​IMG]

6. Myke

Why can't I tag @Rickie Lee ? Is there a time limit in the software ? He's posted in this thread. :shrug:

7. Myke

New Album Coming !

From Rickie Lee's Facebook page :

" ATTENTION!
    Good morning, gang. Last week, it was posted on Facebook by several folks that Amazon and another company or two were taking advance orders on the new Black Oak Arkansas album, Underdog Heroes. This was a total surprise to me, and being that I'm one of the two producers and songwriters on this project... I couldn't quite figure out how advance copies were selling before I was informed about it being out!
    Sooo... I was getting this situation checked out when I started getting posts and emails yesterday from friends of mine who received refund notices from Amazon... LOTS of notices!
    "Is the album still coming out?" Yes! Gang, here's what going on... Amazon has "jumped the gun" as they say in a horse race! They had so many people who continued to ask for a copy of an unknown album that they started taking orders too early so as not to miss out on the sales to another company! They basically took your bucks for a record that WILL NOT BE RELEASED UNTIL EARLY MAY! This is a common practice with many stores in the past and nowadays, but Amazon is a very large and professional business that suddenly realized they couldn't afford to let those orders just lie in wait for another month or so! Because of that, they are now attempting to fix the mistake by refunding all pre-payments, almost the same procedure they use for "out-of-stock" items. Have no fear, my friends. This album will be coming out on CD, on a download, and (this is the reason for the 2nd delay on the release date!) on good ol' fashion vinyl! It's slated for release in the 1st week of May, and there's a good chance that WE may have it even before Amazon does! Hahahahaha! I hope this clears up any and all questions y'all may have, and as I've said since finishing the final mix on this critter last September... I think that you're really gonna like this one!
    It's a doozie! "
    Peace-
    Rickie Lee

I've asked Rickie who is cutting the lacquers for the vinyl...

8. A6mzero

A6mzero One foot in the grave, one foot on the pedal

Played the S/T and Raunch n Roll to death. Playing Hotrod off Raunch n Roll was a Friday night must. Saw them numerous times however if you were going to see them indoors you better bring some earplugs or else go a few days afterwards with impaired hearing.

clhboa, Myke and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

excellent news. didn't know these guys still made new music. when is the last all new album they recorded? i know they had some new tunes on something a few years ago that had leftover 70's demo's

10. Myke

2013 : Black Oak Arkansas - Back Thar N' Over Yonder

[​IMG]

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

12. Myke

Just take yer ass to Discogs, that's what I do. :laugh::buttkick:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

Whenever I hear If You Want To Get To Heaven, I can't help thinking about the documentary about the Dancing Outlaw, Jesco White. In the opening he tap dances across a wooden suspension bridge with a boom box blasting out the song.

14. steve phillips

steve phillips Forum Resident

I started with Raunch n Roll Live back in '74. I kept seeing the cover printed on the Atlantic/Atco inner sleeves
    of my ELP and Yes albums. Looked Cool to me, so I bought it. Great, great live album. It took me a little while
    to get used to Jim's voice, but after that, I got into it. I bought High On The Hog after that. Those are the only two I had for years,
    but I have recently gotten Keep The Faith, 10 Year Overnight Sensation, and Street Party, which is a fantastic album despite
    the bad reviews it always gets. I plan on buying more when I see them. In my opinion, this is a band that has to
    heard on vinyl to be fully appreciated.

15. steve phillips

I only saw the band once. I think it was the late 70's. They were called Black Oak, and Shawn Lane was
    in the line-up. It was a triple bill with Mother's Finest and Nantucket. A great concert, but I wasn't expecting
    a 14 year old shredder on guitar. Shawn was a very talented musician, RIP, but honestly I was a little disappointed,
    because I was expecting a vintage BOA show. Jim put on a fantastic set though. I was about 20 feet from the
    stage, and it was great to see him that close. He was in fine form. It was amazing to see a frontman work that hard to entertain
    the crowd, in an opening band slot.

clhboa and MYQ1 like this.
  16. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

I saw them when the eagles were the opening act

17. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

I saw Black Oak in 99 when they were touring for the Wild Bunch.
    Jim, Ricky & Dirty were there along with Johnnie Bolin & the talented Rocky Athas.
    Got to meet everyone after the show.
    Jim & Dirty like to talk!

clhboa and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

They were fairly popular depending on what part of the country you lived in...

Problem with BOA was they simply were not as talented as many other bands of the era...

The band was loud & tuneless IMO...

But all the chicks dug Jim Dandys white tights

19. samthesham

Rocky is a friend from his early Lightnin Dallas Sneaky Pete daze

MYQ1 likes this.
  20. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

I also saw him a few years later with Buddy Miles.
    One of my favorite live shows.

I've heard Thin Lizzy wrote a song about him called "Cocky Rocky".

samthesham and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. samthesham

Yep Rocky & Rusty Burns RIP (Point Blank) were MFers just like all us crazies...

We used to broadcast a live weekly performance (Homegrown was title)from a recording studio @ the station I worked at during 1970s...

We did Freddie King , Willie , Trower etc but we also did Lightnin, Bugs Henderson & Blackhorse as well...

I have those old shows transferred to digital now but kept the master tapes to all...

Every employee was given a master tape of the shows

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    MYQ1 likes this.
  22. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

:cool:
    From what I hear John Nitzinger & Bugs Henderson too.:cool:

samthesham likes this.
  23. samthesham

After Bugs starting going bald in mid 70s he started to mellow some but yeah Johnny Nitzinger & Lee Pickens of Bloodrock fame were pretty rowdy boys in the early 70s...

I had a pardner who played & wrote on Bloodrock Passage LP he was a loon also

Lee Pickens Band & Lightnin were regulars at Sneaky Pete's in Dallas during early - mid 70s...

Athas does a great Trower inspiration when he wants to...

Now in the 60s while Bugs & Ronnie (Weiss) was part of East Texas' Mouse & The Traps that is different story altogether...

Louannes Bar was the place then , that's where I saw the original Jeff Beck Group in 68 or 69 can't remember too many other things block out full memories

Dusty Hill dated my best friends sister during early ZZ days he is another unique hombre / outlaw

Better get back on topic now

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    MYQ1 likes this.
  24. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

That would be "Rocky" from Johnny The Fox, had no idea it was about a real person.

MYQ1 likes this.
  25. steve phillips

Last night I listened to Keep The Faith and 10 Year Overnight Sensation. Both fantastic albums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.