Black Panther (February 16, 2018)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by 5th-beatle, Jul 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Exactly. It's just a percentage of reviews that are overall positive. Like I said, if people want an actual rating, they should check out MetaCritic and other such sites.

Grant likes this.
  2. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

But I also think it's fairly rare for the RT score to be wildly misleading, so maybe it's close enough to a rating... Anything good enough to get 100% positive reviews or close to it, is probably getting very positive reviews. Something that is only getting lukewarm praise from the critics who "like" it is probably flawed enough that it also gets a number of thumbs down.

Chris from Chicago and Bryan like this.
  3. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Exactly. "100%" means it got "100% positive ['thumbs up'] reviews," not "it scored 100 out of 100."

4. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

If I listened to Rotten Tomatoes I never would have watched any of Kevin James' movies, and imagine how much emptier my life would have been!

trumpet sounds likes this.
  5. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I offered a hint of why RT gave it such a bad rating but, apparently, someone didn't like that and it got gifted. People should remember that RT was never meant to be a serious, definitive rating system. But, with today's media, it's given credibility.

7. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Gave what such a bad rating? Black Panther is at 98%.

Purple Jim likes this.
  8. Kossoff is God

Kossoff is God Forum Resident

I am predicting it will be hailed as one of the greatest movies of all-time and also sweep the Oscars next year.

CrazyCatz and Dudley Morris like this.
  9. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

10. Grant

PM me if you want me to be specific.

11. balzac

balzac Senior Member

"Black Panther", like many popular films, especially those with important background issues informing the discussion, is another example of the inability on the part of many critics and fans (and everybody else contributing to the narrative) to simply say something is *very good* and leave it at that.

I find it becoming more and more rare to see something framed simply as being very good. It either "sucks", or is "meh, whatever", or if someone thinks it's good, it immediately becomes "amazing!" and "great" or "the greatest."

When a legitimately important movement is then attached to a film, it becomes even more of an apparent imperative to move past calling the film very good and move straight to framing the film as single-handedly changing the world. It moves into "embarrassing" territory when people get upset when only a few negative reviews pop up and the film "only" has a 98% RT rating. Seriously, *no* film does or ever should have not one single critics or detractor.

12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I guess this is a big hit but there hasn’t been a superhero movie in theaters for a nearly a full month, so of course it is!

Solaris likes this.
  13. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

When a movie has universal acclaim, my interest in seeing it begins to fade. I think I must feel that it’s designed to, not appeal to not the lowest common denominator necessarily, but push all the requisite buttons to maximize the wow factor. I also don’t have much interest in movies that are universally panned. The sweet spot for me are films that have strong positive reviews, but also intellligent dissenting critiques. That intrigues me and makes me wonder what side of the fence I’ll land on.

14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Biggest gross super hero movie so far.

15. Eduardo Denaro

Eduardo Denaro Forum Resident

Heading to see the movie at 7 tonight. Pretty excited. As a refresher, I just re watched all the scenes in Civil War pertaining to the character. Hope the end credits scenes are awesome and get me even more excited for Infinity War.

16. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Just got back from one of the Thursday evening showings. Theater was packed, and there was a long line waiting for the next one. I enjoyed it, but I have nothing to compare, since the only superhero movies I've seen in the last 20 years are The Incredibles and Megamind.

17. alexpop

There is such a buzz for this film I've noticed.

18. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Good to hear Gil Scott Heron in there!
    Before "Thor Ragnarok" I was getting pretty bored with super hero combat movies. I went to see that one because it was hilarious and I went to see "Dr Strange" before that because he was one of my favourite comic book characters but Black Panther never did anything for me - just another superhero (like Daredevil also seemed to be - OK, he was blind but Peter Parker had had "Spidey sense" already). So I wait to see this one on DVD or streaming.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  19. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

I saw it last nigh and was very underwhelmed. It was just OK. for me, it was a shade or two better than Iron Man 2 or Thor 2, but well below the other MCU films. It had some coll scenes, but I found the main story to be very lacking.

Ghostworld, Scott222C and Ethan B like this.
  20. Grant

It is because of how closely it is related to reality.

Robert C and alexpop like this.
  21. alexpop

Looks like it's going supercede all the Marvel films so far, at the box office.
    Also. DC's Wonder Woman.

22. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

All the hype is turning me off. Every day all I'm hearing how this superhero movie is the greatest event in the history of mankind and records will be smashed. It's like "Titanic" all over again. I'm at the point now where I'm not going to watch it just because every media outlet in the universe is telling me I should. I'm a rebel, what can I say?

23. Grant

I tend to wait until the hype dies down on every high-profile movie. So I don't get to pay $12 for a ticket. I can just watch at home on my TV.

24. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

You have been scheduled for reprogramming. :targettiphat:

trumpet sounds likes this.
  25. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I saw it last night with my 17 year old son, I'm 53, we both thoroughly enjoyed it. One of the better single character MCU films. I don't think it was like best picture Oscar quality or anything, but it was a nicely paced and fun ride of a film. The non black actors did feel like they were kind of just glued onto the film for the white audience and they weren't really necessary, I'm fine seeing a film with an all black cast. At times it felt like it was a story that took a few too many Lion King riffs, but both films of course are grabbing onto some Shakespearean ideas which usually works out well. The acting was fantastic, in fact, the supporting characters were so good that I enjoyed their parts of the film even more than the lead character at some points. The female general was outstandingly portrayed, actually all of the wonderfully strong female roles in this film surprised me. Definitely a film I will purchase when it comes to bluray, and certainly worth seeing in the theaters for it's out of the box beauty and it's incredible action scene spectacles. Probably the best cast and best acting in any Marvel film to date.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.