Black Panther (February 16, 2018)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by 5th-beatle, Jul 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think the lackluster quality of those films "killed" them more than "BP" did.

If people wanted to see those movies, they'd see them - it's ridiculous to blame "BP" because studios put out some mediocre movies...

bru87tr, Vidiot, Jim B. and 1 other person like this.
  2. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

That article is remarkably dumb....Black Panther currently sits at $1.2B worldwide which is great for the industry, normally the beginning of the year is slow and it's usually a period when doomed flicks are released to die a quick death at the box office. Jumanji was another surprise hit boosting revenues for all.

If other studios wanting big tentpole results go head to head with Marvel releases, step up your game or re-schedule your release date.

3. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

4. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

We saw it this past weekend and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, the only option was a "Digital" release and it wasn't very sharp.

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You'd rather watch a film print?

I think even Marvel was surprised when Black Panther has wound up being their #3 top-grossing film of all time.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  6. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

:laughup: I usually like to IMAX better. Somehow the options (for most blockbusters) nowadays seem to be Dolby, IMAX, IMAX 3D, REAL3D and Digital. When you see a movie weeks after the debut the options get a bit narrow the rooms smaller and (I guess) the standards worse. I enjoyed the movie but it wasn't as sharp as I thought it should be.

7. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Saw this last night. Enjoyed it. Not great but pretty good. I would rank it in the middle of the pack of the current MCU movies.

CDC likes this.
  8. junk

junk Hellion

#blackpanthersmatter

Hall Cat likes this.
  9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

All contemporary movies (with the exception of something like Dunkirk) are shot and finished digitally, and even the Imax prints are made from digital. Imax uses the "DMR" (digital media remastering) process, which is just a fancy name for noise reduction, image enhancement, and grain management -- but I have to say, they can get a ton of light behind a 15-perf 70mm frame under the right circumstances. Run of the mill Hollywood films... I don't think they're better in Imax.

The so-called "LieMax" digital theaters are basically using stacked Christie projectors, and they can approach Dolby Vision (100-nit) levels. They can look very good under optimum conditions. The double-stacked Christie Laser projectors at the Imax Chinese Theater in Hollywood look terrific, but I'm a fan of the laser projector anywhere (not just at Imax). I don't think it has to be Imax to look good -- I think Dolby Cinema can be every bit as good.

robertawillisjr likes this.
  10. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

Just got back from seeing it. This movie floored me. It was deep. It had layers. I loved the backstory. The women in it were great. There was one fight scene where the good guy and bad guy were falling... and fighting... where the FX looked spotty. But overall this movie looked fantastic. The background scenes were beautiful. The lighting was spectacular. I want to see this again. It is maybe my favorite superhero movie. And I'm a guy who likes most superhero movies.

Bowie Fett and davenav like this.
  11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

12. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

I watched the film at my local ArcLight on opening night. A fantastic, beautiful superhero film.

I rewatched the film at my local AMC last night with a family member. Like the other films I’ve seen during the last 3-4 years at an AMC, the image was dark and dull.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  13. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

I usually watch films at my local ArcLight. Great presentation. When I watch films at my local AMC, the image is dull and dark, almost to the point where I want a refund. Their IMAX presentation is good/great.

14. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Saw it last night, pretty good! I could easily nitpick through the things that I feel are wrong but my take on this movie is how UNLIKE the other comicbook movies this one is in that it's truly inspirational to children. Much more than just about any of these others, fact is, I can't think of a single one that has such potential to be a game changer within the psyche of a child! To invoke a feeling of wonder and endless possibilities, THAT'S what a comicbook should do, I know I used to feel it when I was a kid. Does my heart good just to think how the kids have finally gotten themselves something with that 'old skool' quality. God willing, some of these kid's will grow up and make movies with these same qualities, and the circle will continue unbroken!;)

15. pblmow

pblmow Forum Resident

I'm hoping kids will find inspiration at home as well.

16. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident Thread Starter

17. Presented without comment, from a site called Bittersweet Uganda...

18. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Just saw it today. Good acting by everybody but the story didn't do much for me. Thought it was pretty good but not great.

19. 5th-beatle

I'm glad we'll get to see a bit more of the characters in the upcoming Avengers film. It will be interesting to see them interact with actors from previous Marvel movies.

20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Watching this now. What a cheesy looking production. Everything looks so phony and whitewashed, like it's a Ron Howard "How The Grinch Stole Christmas" reboot. Thank good for the "contemporary" crime scene or I'd be choking of the sugary "mythical" bits. The CGI is really lousy too (starting with that new lousy Marvel logo sequence that looks like it was made in 1995) and the spaceships don't even make an attempt at looking realistic, nor the sets. The dialog is straight out of the Disney factory. Oh, how well I know it. Every word forthright and commendable, with a few stingers by the ubiquitous spunky teen character. I can't even tell the difference between humans and cartoon characters in their films, anymore. It's all so plastic and mechanical and gone through with the Disney Dialog Rule Book. Probably a fun film for 13-year olds, though. Silly. Silly. Silly. I'm only an hour in and want to turn it off so badly. Edit: I did.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    Mechanical Man likes this.
  21. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

I was trying to figure out where I had seen the actor that played the CIA agent before. Then I realized it was Bilbo.
    It is amazing what they can do with CGI to make a hobbit look almost as large as a human.

Eduardo Denaro likes this.
  22. Eduardo Denaro

Eduardo Denaro Forum Resident

Let us not forget how amazing the CGI was to make Gollum look like a man with a bionic arm.

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Here's a terrific short showing off some of the VFX work by LA-based Luma in Black Panther:

smilin ed and BeatleJWOL like this.
  24. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I'm at Chicago's River East 21, and believe it or not, it is STILL showing at this first run theater (though down to one showing a day) even though it's been out on Blu-ray for a month.

25. 5th-beatle

I have recently bought the 3D/2D blu-ray steelbook edition here in Brazil. Nice cover, does it look the same in other countries?

[​IMG]

Chris DeVoe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.