Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - "Wrong Creatures" due 01/12/18

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by slop101, Sep 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Mine is waiting at the post office. Going to pick it up tomorrow:goodie:

2. Neonbeam

The Berlin "Howl" gig started like that, Peter taking the stage on his own, armed just with acoustic guitar and harmonica. And of course there were hecklers. But it was a fantastic concert. Plus the fact that in the afternoon during soundcheck "Berlin"'s riff was "discovered".

That was the best BRMC concert I saw. The "Devil's Tattoo" show was good but long. And apparently not long enough because afterwards Robert entertained people with an impromptu acoustic gig.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  3. followmehome

followmehome Forum Resident

BRMC do do a good length set, you've gotta give them that! Slightly puzzled as to why they continue doing numbers like Conscience Killer, Rival and Six Barrell Shotgun - they all strike me as being a bit by-numbers and trying to fill a quota for rock songs - but they have similar-ish songs that are far far better.

4. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

"Six Barrel Shotgun" is a great rave-up rock song by them, though. Love how it sounds on the Ken Andrews-produced Take Them On, On Your Own.

Probably my favorite side of the band is when they groove out in a shoegazy-way, like on the song "Rifles", which is what hooked me on the band for good the first time I ever heard it.

Reesdog and Mr Mojo like this.
  5. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Without a doubt this is their best sounding album.

Crazyhorse11 likes this.
  6. Mr Mojo

Mr Mojo Forum Resident

They are really versatile with up-tempo rockers like "Berlin", "Whatever Happened To My Rock'n'roll" and "Spread Your Love"...songs that make my head bounce. And like you say; the also have the beautiful mellow bits like "Rifles", "Suddenly" and my favorite "Windows". I think "Haunt" from the new album is right up there in the top as well.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  7. omnisonic

omnisonic Forum Resident

This album is really starting to grow on me.
    Fantastic intro song sets the tone.
    Standouts for me are "Spook", "Echo", and "Question of Faith"
    which seem to be the merging point where their Classic heavy, driving BRMC sound transitions into the more mellow feel of the new album sound.

What are the standouts for you?

CrombyMouse and Mr Mojo like this.
  8. Chrome_Head

Definitely "Spook", "Question Of Faith" and "Ninth Configuration" so far. The others are still percolating for me.

9. Neonbeam

About to pick this up now. The Pitchfork review sounded spot on. Or at least what I image to be "spot on" without having listened yet.

10. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek Thread Starter

Nice!
    Mine should arrive some time this week - hope it didn't get damaged in the post, not even sure if I want to handle it much, being signed an all...
    Might get another copy.

Question for people who bought the vinyl in the States - good quality, mastering/manufacturing? Can you tell where it's pressed?

11. Chrome_Head

I too would like to know if the stateside LP pressing is worth picking up..

12. Neonbeam

The shrink-wrap was - obviously - open and the album is signed in gold pen. Which looks good if only "Wrong Creatures" wouldn't look so much like "Employment" by the Kaiser Chiefs. In the vinyl format this is really noticeable, it's somewhat hilarious.

And over at thE bay a German flipper already is trying to get 111 (!) € for his JPC bought signed vinyl edition. Which is so ridiculous, it's not even funny.

13. slop101

It's also a little similar to the new Foo Fighters album cover...

[​IMG]

Neonbeam likes this.
  14. Neonbeam

Sooooo.... one spin later:

1. The vinyl: Frankly the EU pressing is nothing to write home about. Record 1 was decent, record 2 had some strange marks and a constant click in "All Rise". Just gave it a good cleaning, let's see if it goes away. An exchange could be a bit of a hassle since I have a signed sleeve and am not too keen on sending it back.

2. The music: Once again BRMC are completely unwilling - or unable - to edit their stuff, knock it into shape. But after learning that there was a 10 minute version of every song on the album - except for "Ninth Configuration" which originally was 45 minutes long - we are somewhat lucky that "Wrong Creatures" "only" clocks in at 58 minutes. Which is also classic BRMC, the debut, "Take Them On", "Baby 81" and "Spectre" all run between 57 and 61 minutes.

To be fair, this new album is not bad. It would be better if it would lose 10-15 minutes but that's true for all their records except for "Howl". It's one of those lps where I'm not sure I'm willing to invest the time that would be necessary to discover all details. Robert's voice seems to have changed. Apart from that there aren't many new ideas. Only variations. I secretly admire people who could immediately identify every song in their catalogue. That's dedication.

Bottom line: Another solid, yet overlong release from BRMC. Going to listen to it again.

CrombyMouse likes this.
  15. Neonbeam

Vinyl reissue of "Take Them On" is coming. Plus a triple "Session" lp.

dtuck90 and Mr Mojo like this.
  16. Mr Mojo

Mr Mojo Forum Resident

Really?? Nice! Where did you hear/read this?

17. Neonbeam

JPC has them listed for a 16th February release. "For Murder Take Them On Sessions" is a triple record.

They should do a "Wrong Creatures Sessions" in all its unedited 155 minute glory:whistle:

Crazyhorse11 and Mr Mojo like this.
  18. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Count me in for this!

Crazyhorse11 and Neonbeam like this.
  19. Neonbeam

I know I shouldn't but I guess I will get the "For Murder" set.

20. Neonbeam

The original tracklist for "For Murder":

- 01 Take Them On, On Your Own
    - 02 I Told You
    - 03 Going Under
    - 04 Ha Ha High Babe
    - 05 Tonight With You
    - 06 For Murder
    - 07 Waiting Here
    - 08 The Wait Is More
    - 09 In Like The Rose
    - 10 Abstract Dragon
    - 11 And I'm Aching
    - 12 Pretend

Is this enough to warrant a triple set? I mean... how long are these songs? And since they are doing this now they probably should do the same for "BRMC", "Beat The Devil's Tattoo" and "Spectre At The Feast". And somebody even might want "Effects Of The 666" on vinyl. Now that's where I draw the line:evil:

What a weird band. Overlong albums that get companion "Session" records. Somehow you gotta admire that attitude :righton:

Crazyhorse11 likes this.
  21. Neonbeam

I'm surprised how much I like "Wrong Creatures", it starts off strong and even when it drifts into the ether, the songs are very well structured. Really love the darker, anthemic tracks like "Ninth Configuration" or "Carried From The Start". Also the numbers that try out "new" sonic flavours like "Calling Them All Away" or "Circus Bazooko". What's also very good/ effective is the more dreampop like production.

This is the sound of a band that knows and loves what it's doing and is actually very good at it. Yes... it is another typical BRMC album but it sits proud next to it's predecessors.

Still not happy with the EU pressing quality. Even after a cleaning there is intolerable surface noise on "All Rise". Guess I will call JPC and see if I simply can exchange that second record.

And now I'd really like to hear the original 45 minute version of "Ninth Configuration".... that's insane, isn't it?!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    Crazyhorse11, Left Field and Mr Mojo like this.
  22. Mr Mojo

Mr Mojo Forum Resident

So, did anyone figure out the marking on the labels yet?

Side A: 5X
    SideB: 10X
    Side C: 15X
    Side D: 50X

Crazyhorse11 likes this.
  23. slop101

This is weird. The domestic vinyl of this is going for around $40.
    That's more than I paid for a German import that's signed by the band!

24. Neonbeam

How are your sonics? I just send record two back to JPC. It had a lot of audible surface marks - almost like used - and I think the cardboard inner might have something to do with this:evil:

25. Neonbeam

Well.... if you multiply these you end up with 37 500. Divide that by 60 and you'll get 625. Now.... are these hours? Hours spend working on this album?

Like many things BRMC it's a bit cryptic:wave:

Mr Mojo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.