Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - "Wrong Creatures" due 01/12/18

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by slop101, Sep 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Since my replacement still hasn't arrived and I can't listen to "Wrong Creatures", I have just revisited "Take Them On".

Haha... this might be their equivalent to a 60 minute Ramones record. The vinyl is great because the same label that felt it was appropriate to cram the debut's 57 minutes onto two sides of vinyl, now allowed a nice textured gatefold cover and luxurious four sides. Very nice looking set and it sounds good too. Again not a bad song but since they all are rather short - only "Heart & Soul" clocks in at 7 minutes - this album feels more like a collection of singles and eps. Very good singles and eps.

BRMC clearly were right to try something else with "Howl" next because another album in this vein might have exhausted the formula. If there ever was a formula:whistle:

Now I only need to revisit the debut and "Howl" - their two albums I know by heart - and have revisited all BRMC records within the space of eight days. Not bad, eh? And I loved it!

2. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek Thread Starter

After listening more and more to the new album (on CD - still waiting on the German vinyl - taking forever!), I may have to move it up one notch ahead of their first album. Also, Wrong Creatures has a bit of a flabby middle, if the album had lost a couple of those songs, I may even move it one more spot, ahead of Take Them On.

Neonbeam and GuidedByJonO))) like this.
  3. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Heh, I actually liked the middle most after my first play through. I'm growing to like the bookends more though. I'm still thinking this is a real strong entry in their catalog. I'd need to do some revisiting before I could do any sort of comparative ranking though. I'm picking up some more heavy than usual JAMC vibes on a couple tracks.

Neonbeam and slop101 like this.
  4. slop101

Agreed. BRMC albums are kinda "samey", but in a good way that doesn't get dull, that very few bands can pull off

5. Neonbeam

Well after revisiting most of them I have to agree. Even though I think each of them has it's distinct BRMC sound.

The only thing of theirs I didn't like was the "Baby 81 Sessions" ep. So I'm not too keen on reacquainting myself with the "Howl Sessions".

6. slop101

Finally got my singed German vinyl - worth the wait - they sound remarkable, especially after listening to the CD all week. Not that the CD sounds bad, but the vinyl is on another level! And thankfully, no scuffing - not sure what happened to your disc Neonbeam, but the insides of the sleeves were slick, and there's no way they'd scratch the discs (though I still put poly-lined sleeves inside them).

Chrome_Head and Juggsnelson like this.
  7. Neonbeam

The insides may be slick but the outside is cardboard so maybe some scratches happened while sliding the discs in? I seriously don't know. But disc 2 had several scratches and looked like the cover. Vintage!

Great that you received a good copy and I'm glad I returned mine. I rarely do that. Hopefully I will get it today.

8. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

After spending a couple weeks on this album, I have to say imo it's the best thing they've done in some time, probably my favorite since the Baby81 album. Maybe because the new one has more of a Jesus and Mary Chain reverb-drenched swampiness to the music like much of their earlier stuff. Yes, there's is a bit of sameness through much of the record which for me anyway, actually works in the album's favor as a near-complete listening experience. The only song I strongly dislike is the wildly out of place "Circus Bazooko" which comes off as 3rd rate Doors.

Chrome_Head and Neonbeam like this.
  9. Neonbeam

Replacement disc arrived and... hey.... it's pristine. So apparently I did receive a faulty copy. Looking forward to spinning this now.

Even though I also really want to play my other new 2018 release - ok, it's January so there can only be new 2018 releases: "Shadow People" the fifth album by The Liminanas, incidentally produced by one Anton Newcombe:cool:

10. Neonbeam

Finally listened to "Wrong Creatures" without surface noise and it's great. I now even think there are things on here that wouldn't have been possible on the earlier albums. The slower and more atmospheric songs are really moving to another level, they are deeper and I love the kaleidoscopic production.

I guess it was a fantastic idea to use an outside producer. It does sound like BRMC but I couldn't compare it to an earlier album. Peter and Robert are both 40 now so: There could be a lot more to come. Which is exciting!!!!!!! :goodie:

jimhb likes this.
  11. Mr Mojo

Mr Mojo Forum Resident

TAKE THEM ON, ON YOUR OWN LP
    $30.00
    Limited Edition vinyl reissue of their 2003 second album for Virgin Records. Featuring two limited edition transparent yellow vinyl, cut as a double LP, gatefold sleeve and new artwork! Limited stock.

http://www.brmcstore.com/take-them-on-on-your-own-lp.html

FOR MURDER: SESSIONS LP
    $20.00
    Limited Edition version of previously unreleased collection of B-sides and demos from the 2003 "Take Them On, On Their Own" sessions. Featuring a limited edition transparent yellow vinyl. Limited stock.

http://www.brmcstore.com/for-murder-sessions-lp.html

johnnypaddock likes this.
  12. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I’m hoping they become available in the UK. $81 including shipping at the moment for both

13. Mr Mojo

Mr Mojo Forum Resident

The second I saw it, at 5.30 in the morning, I placed an order for "Take Them On..." - half asleep, half extremely excited. I forgot to put my street no in the order and contacted BRMC store about this, and I also changed my info in "my account" on their site.

Now when I look at my order, it says "Suspected fraud". Bummer. :waiting:

Neonbeam likes this.
  14. Neonbeam

They will, JPC has them listed for weeks. But probably not on yellow vinyl l.

15. slop101

Jeez, the cheapest shipping domestically is $8.

16. Mr Mojo

Mr Mojo Forum Resident

Phew, I got a notification it has shipped now. Sweet.

17. slop101

Now we just need nice new vinyl re-issues of Howl, Tattoo and Specter... :)

Chrome_Head likes this.
  18. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

19. slop101

If money's not an issue, he should just try Discogs.

20. slop101

They're playing locally this weekend - Hollywood on Saturday is sold out, but Pomona on Friday (which is a tiny bit closer to me) is still available, and it's a smaller/cheaper venue as well. Only thing is, I can't find anyone to go with me - worth going alone?

Also, been meaning to get the Howl sessions EP for a while, but the CD was prohibitively expensive - never bothered searching for the LP, but that was readily available, and I just got it yesterday, and it's pretty fantastic!

21. iggyd

iggyd Forum Resident

Slop101
    My wife, my two good friends , myself.....plus a couple hundred other BRMC fans will be at The Glass House on Friday so you won't be alone - LOL!
    The Glass House is a great place to see a show so hopefully you can make it to the concert.
    Also don't miss The Night Beats who are the opener, if you haven't seen them they are really good too.

Chrome_Head and slop101 like this.
  22. slop101

Oh, not only have I been to the GH a ton of times - I've played there with friend's bands in the past.
    Unfortunately, if I go, I think I may be late. We'll see...

Neonbeam likes this.
  23. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I just received the reissue of ‘Take them on....’. I did a cursory listen of ‘Stop’....I feel it sounds okay but nothing special. Sounds a bit digital to me. Don’t get me wrong, it’s okay but I guess I’d give it about 7/10 for sound maybe....

Also looks like its pressed by United to me.

24. slop101

@iggyd how did you like the show?

I couldn't make it, was on a date that went long (which is a good thing!) - and even if I could've made it, show was sold out by the day of the show.

25. iggyd

iggyd Forum Resident

Hey Slop101
    Sorry you couldn't make it BRMC was really good this night, actually I've seen them at least 5 or 6 times previously and honestly this may have been the best and tightest they've ever played.
    They seem to have really come into their own on this tour, they dug really deep playing lots of old tracks and also a good number from the new album, all told they played for over two hours and played about 23 songs.
    I couldn't find a set list from the Glass House online but the one from the Fonda was posted and it seems pretty much like the set I saw here is a link:
    BRMC @ The Fonda

See you at the gig next time!

Chrome_Head and slop101 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.