Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - "Wrong Creatures" due 01/12/18

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by slop101, Sep 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek Thread Starter

Cool! Fairly likely they'll come back around again before they go back into hibernation.

2. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Anyone else wanna chime in on the ‘Take them on’ reissue? I’m downgrading my rating from a 7/10 to a 6/10. Has a serious lack of depth this pressing...

Neonbeam likes this.
  3. slop101

I think the new "Take them on" pressing sounds fine. Not great, but fine. It does sound digital - I think I was spoiled since before I put that on, I've been listening to the German pressing of "Wrong Creatures" out of Pallas, which is impeccable. It was never going to approach that quality, but it's fine and better, more dynamic range than the CD, that's for sure.

Neonbeam likes this.
  4. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Doesn’t sound much different from the CD...what are you listening to it on?

5. slop101

A new-ish record player (Fluance) through an great but old (late '70s) Hitachi amp, big speakers, also from the '70s, but with newer woofers. On the same setup, the CD is definitely more brick-walled at higher volumes. Again, I'm not saying it's "great", or even "good", just fine... acceptable, just shy of unacceptable.

richbdd01 likes this.
  6. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

So the new reissues are pressed at United? So we know who cut them? Does the EU have the same pressing??

7. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

You don't have an original to compare, do you? Because I think the 2003 pressing sounds actually quite nice.

8. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Mine came from Amazon UK. No mastering engineer I could see, just cat no.

I think they look like United pressings but they stopped putting the U on their pressings....probably cos they don’t want people to know it’s them!

jimhb likes this.
  9. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

No I don’t otherwise wouldn’t have bothered...

I did find the pressing of Wrong Creatures sounded pretty good.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    Neonbeam likes this.
  10. Neonbeam

After I exchanged the second disc I can second that:edthumbs:

richbdd01 likes this.
  11. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Yes. My copy of Wrong Creatures also sounds good!

12. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Seeing them live for the first time tonight!

Show was downgraded from a 1,500 capacity venue to a 500 person venue, which isn't a good sign, but will probably make for a better live experience. :sigh: I guess when you disappear for 5 years at a time, you aren't guaranteed to retain all of your audience when you come back.

13. slop101

I picked up the "Take Them On" Sessions EP - kinda wish I hadn't...

I only have two other session EPs, one for Baby 81 (which has some solid songs and makes for a good companion piece), and the one for Howl (which I actually like better than Howl).

But the Take Them On one is pretty much all very experimental songs, with most of them being pretty difficult to sit through as they are very drone-like, a bit grating and not really "songs" in the traditional sense. It's not something I'm going to spin again any time soon.

Neonbeam likes this.
  14. Neonbeam

How was it? I'd actually rather see a band "downgraded" with all new material, than attend a sold out "10th Anniversary" tour with the "iconic debut album played in it's entirety". In Germany BRMC are having a solid and reliable cult audience, filling 1000+ capacity venues. At the end of the day, I guess that's Robert and Peter wanted.

15. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

It was...a lot like their records: half of it absolutely rocked, and the other half was sort of meandering dirge-y stuff that kind of killed the momentum from the aforementioned rock. When it was great, it was great, but it didn't flow super well as a set until the very end, IMO. Again, I say this as a casual fan, but it's just how I felt and I think how the crowd kinda felt too.

Neonbeam likes this.
  16. Neonbeam

....and it was looong, right?

Have to say that my favourite BRMC shows were during the "Howl" era. Nice structure, with Peter opening solo with acoustic guitar - and usually one or two"Whatever happened to your RnR?!" hecklers - and then the full electric assault. And they only had three albums at that point:evil:

17. slop101

They must have done a quick little repress of Howl and Specter on vinyl recently, as I've been finding some new copies here and there (bought them too - and they sound/look great), now I only need Tattoo...

And are there/will there be sessions discs for Tattoo, Specter and Creatures?

Chrome_Head and johnnypaddock like this.
  18. slop101

BRMC has a new, free song, "Take a Pause By the Moon", up on their site for streaming or download.
    It's a cool acoustic number that would fit nicely on Howl.

19. Mr Mojo

Mr Mojo Forum Resident

Probably the album that had most spins on my vinyl player in 2018. And it will have a place in the top for 2019 as well if it continues to be this amazing. Especially side A and B are totally brilliant...masterpiece!

20. CrombyMouse

CrombyMouse Forum Resident

Side C - not so much?

21. Mr Mojo

Mr Mojo Forum Resident

I wouldn't say it's bad in any way, but of the four sides it's the least good.

22. jestoon425

jestoon425 Forum Resident

Listening again right now. I think it's a very underrated album. Very good on the whole, but if the first six tracks were released as an EP, it would be one of the best EPs of the 2010s.

Neonbeam, Mr Mojo and slop101 like this.
  23. Mr Mojo

Mr Mojo Forum Resident

I played it yesterday for the first time in a while, and I agree. The first half of the album is totally brilliant.

jestoon425 likes this.
  24. jestoon425

jestoon425 Forum Resident

And "Echo" might be one of my favorite songs of theirs now tbh

Mr Mojo likes this.
  25. slop101

Echo is such a good song! Probably the best song of 2018.

Mr Mojo and jestoon425 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.