Black Sabbath and Age

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by texron, Sep 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

I'm 43 and heard Sabbath around the age of 7 or 8 from one of my best friends' mother's album collection. I wanna say I started collecting some of their catalog about a year or two afterwards. We Sold Our Soul for Rock and Roll was most likely the first one I got, on cassette. I go through phases of listening to them, still like them and probably always will. The last time I put on one of their albums was either the deluxe versions of Dehumanizer w/Dio or Master of Reality, at least a month or so ago. And I'm not ashamed at ALL, to say so. :cool:

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  2. CrystalCore

CrystalCore Forum Resident

Stop being "Paranoid" about your choice of music. :uhhuh:

Paulette and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  3. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

Not sure how I missed this thread when it was posted but...

I love Sabbath - easily one of my favorite bands. And certainly, when it comes to hard rock/metal, they are my favorite.

Pretty sure I was 9 or 10 at the latest when I first heard them. The first album I owned was Vol. 4.

Listened quite a bit back in the day, pretty much the Ozzy stuff (not all of it though) and Heaven and Hell.

So, now, at the tender age of 49 I listen to Black Sabbath more than I ever did back then. I listen to all the Ozzy era stuff (that's my first choice) but the first two Dio Sabbath albums are in regular rotation, Born Again, Seventh Star and Eternal Idol.

My wife is also not a big Sabbath fan but every once in awhile she gets into it - has to be the right time, right song, etc....

Rick Robson and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  4. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I've been diggin' Sabbath for about 25 years.

Paulette likes this.
  5. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Nice to see not only Born Again but Eternal Idol get some love! BTW, my wife loves I from Dehumanizer and she's not a metal head!

Sandinista likes this.
  6. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

If they ever reissue the rest (I know Dehumanizer has been reissued and is in print but I haven't snapped it up yet) of the Tony Martin era, I'll get those too!

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  7. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

+1

Sandinista likes this.
  8. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

I'd be interested in a deluxe of Cross Purposes; they might as well combine it with the seldom seen or heard Cross Purposes Live. I think besides Eternal Idol, those are the best Martin era releases. I could never get into Headless Cross or TYR, I don't know what it is, but those albums just don't click. The less said about Forbidden, the better, although there's a couple of decent numbers on it to be had, in my opinion, worst Sabbath album ever.

Sandinista and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  9. mickey g

mickey g Forum Resident

I was 19 in the Summer of '70 when I first heard them. Being a LZ freak, this was right up my alley. Really into the first two albums, Masters of Reality was when I began to drift away from them. Actually it was the last Sabbath album 8-Track I bought. I have, however caught the Reunion Tours in '99 & last year. They were awesome !

10. DHamilton

DHamilton Forum Resident

I just found this same EP when I was digging a few months back...is it worth anything?

11. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

Gotta love that 8Track reference! Question, was there any songs broken up on your 8Track? You know,when they can't "fit" a song so it fades halfway though to silence then,clicks over to the next track fades up back into last half of song? LOL:cussing:and...if it was your favorite song?:mudscrying:how frustraiting that was if that was the only format you had or could play?:doh:

12. patel kismet

patel kismet Forum Resident

I discovered BS with "Sabotage" around 1978. I was 20 and now i'm 59. From the first track "Hole in the sky", i was blown away. I never stopped listen to them since. One of the greatest band ever !

Paulette and Rick Robson like this.
  13. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

i think the first one or two albums I bought with my own money were Black Sabbath Paranoid and Grand Funk Mark Don and Mel. I think. I was about 12 or 13 so this was in the early 70s, I'm guessing.

Sabbath was one of my early favorite bands, the first three albums were on regular rotation. "A Bit of Finger" was often played while I tried to steal some of those guitar licks. Theres one little passage on there that I can still remember and will goof off with it from time to time.

Volume 4 wasnt as good to me.

I dont listen to them specifically anymore, however, I rarely do that to most of my collection. Its all random in a shuffle. They come up sometimes.

14. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

I think this is part of a bigger picture of being a music fan. That is, what music you listen to that ages well and what doesn't. I agree with the consensus of the thread that Sabbath continues to deliver regardless of my age. I consider them the greatest metal band of all time. The creators. A case of the original being the best. The interplay on the early albums between the drums, bass and guitar are what make it so special to me. That and one of the great front-men of all time. I'm 42 and I first heard Sabbath when I was 16 in high school. I still remember playing Paranoid on my discman hooked up through my cassette deck of my 280zx. I actually discovered Sabbath via Faith No More's cover of "War Pigs". I always thought that song was great. Then I heard the Sabbath original version and it blew me away. Top 10 all time artist for me.

15. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

How old were you when you first heard Sabbath?

7 or 8. I'm not entirely sure if it was right before or right after Paranoid came out. All I know is that when I was eight, I was heavily into the first two albums after both an uncle and my older sister turned me on to Sabbath. I was still eight when Master of Reality came out.

How old are you now?

I'll be 55. My birthday is at the end of this month.

Do you still listen to them? Regularly? Are they in your favorites, if you have such a thing?

Yes, I listen to them regularly. They're in my second-highest rotation. I can't access my list at the moment (I'm not at home; I'm on my kindle), but they're around 30-something on my favorite artist list. #21 through #60 are my second-highest rotation (#1 through #20 artists are the highest rotation of course). Sabbath and Priest are easily my two favorite metal bands (well, as long as you don't consider Zeppelin metal, otherwise they'd be my favorite metal band). I do like a lot of metal, including more recent stuff (and a lot of NWOBHM and thrash etc. . . . I also love groove/funk/etc. metal, a lot of nu metal, progressive metal etc.), but I listen to a ton of different genres, including a lot of stuff that's not rock, and the death/black/etc. metal branch lost me a bit, due to the vocals--I hate the growl/cookie monster thing when it's the only way someone sings, due to the lo-fi trend, and due to a lack of a connection to traditional songwriting assets re melodies, catchiness, etc. But even a band like Braindrill I can appreciate to an extent.

Oh, and my wife loves Sabbath, too, even though she didn't really get turned on to them until her 30s, when I met her--she's from another part of the world and a pretty different culture. She's a bigger fan of Ozzy, though. She likes Ozzy solo and Ozzy era Sabbath the most (I do, too, though I'm more into later Sabbath than she is). She's been to a bunch of Sabbath, Ozzy and OzzFest shows with me over the past 20 years.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  16. mickey g

mickey g Forum Resident

I guess this is how it was formatted back in the day. Yeah, the thing that was annoying was that when it changed tracks, the music would fade out, then back in. However, the novelty of being able to listen to any album that you wanted in your car made it a little easier to take. When I started buying vinyl & recording my own tapes, it was a bit different, being recorded straight through. What was weird was that the order of the songs was different on some 8-tracks, just to avoid the fade in fade out.
    [​IMG] ThisTh

Paulette, heyMo, texron and 2 others like this.
  17. Paulette

Paulette Forum Resident

I do not know at which age I was when I first heard them, maybe 15, in 1984. They were always in the background of my life. I was one of those girlfriends who watched her boyfriend work on his car and he was more into hard rock than I was. So, I "listened". I liked it and thought Ozzy was sooo cute. Solo Ozzy was just annoying to me.

But about 4 weeks ago, I really listened and really heard. I fell hard and I cannot stop listening to them. I am 48. I asked my husband, "Aren't they so awesome?". He said, "I thought so when I was in 5th grade.". Bleh

I am addicted. In fact, Ozzy's voice is heroin for my soul.

patel kismet likes this.
  18. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

I say keep on rockin'.

Paulette likes this.
  19. heyMo

heyMo Forum Resident

Early 70's for me in High School. Was really into Paranoid, Masters of Reality, and Vol 4. On 8-track, of course.

Got away from them for a while, but now starting to collect some vinyl and recharging my appreciation for the band. At the ripe old age of 62.

Paulette likes this.
  20. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

I'm still into the music I was into when I was 8. I don't regret any of the musical choices I've made over the years.
    How old are the members of Sabbath? How old are The Stones? How old is McCartney?? If they're still playing it then we can still listen to it. If your wife is trying to tell you that metal is for youngsters then she's wrong (respectfully). What should you be listening to? Phil Collins? Classical music?

Paulette and patel kismet like this.
  21. Paulette

Paulette Forum Resident

Hee hee 8 track. I so dig it when people talk about 8 track. What a trip imagining pushing those things in and pulling them out. It's hard work!

mickey g and heyMo like this.
  22. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

My mom had two rules about buying rock music back in 1969-70: no Hendrix and no Sabbath. So a few years later living in a cabin on the family property, I got a used copy of Paranoid.... mom wouldn't be able to know it.
    I still mainly listen to rock from the 60's & 70's. At the time, the artists were all older than me (some barely). I was in school, they were not, were getting girls, driving, etc. When I hear the music today that age spread is still there, sort of. Its just the context. Its all about the music. Plus I'm not a lyrics man, so whether its Demons & Wizards or War Pigs.... not that important. The lyrics are just poetry or short stories.

patel kismet, Paulette and GodShifter like this.
  23. heyMo

heyMo Forum Resident

Oh, I had a fancy one. It had an eject button. :wiggle:

mickey g and Paulette like this.
  24. Paulette

Paulette Forum Resident

Did you have a fast forward button?

25. heyMo

heyMo Forum Resident

That, I don't remember. However, I do remember the eject button because of the way I had it connected to power in my car. The connection became a little loose once and when I hit the brakes, the tape would pop out. :hide:

Paulette likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.