Black Sabbath and Age

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by texron, Sep 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paulette

Paulette Forum Resident

That's great. My husband has a similar music in the car story. I bought him "Boys Don't Cry". He put it in the tape player and then could not get it out at all.

2. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

I'm 56 now and first listened to them when I was 11 back in the fall of 1972. A new kid in my school (turned out to be my best friend and we still hang out today) played me Volume 4. Loved them then......still love them now. I listen to any of their first 8 albums (and the Dio Years compilation) at least once a month.

sathvyre and Paulette like this.
  3. heyMo

heyMo Forum Resident

I'm sure he was not happy.

Paulette likes this.
  4. mickey g

mickey g Forum Resident

It's been over 40 years since I've played 8-tracks, but a little bird is telling me they used to auto-eject at the end ?

5. BPMC

BPMC Forum Resident

I first heard them around 1976. It was when I borrowed my brother 8-track copy of Paranoid. I was 13. Im now 54 & while I can't necessarily say that they're in "heavy rotation", I still, none the less, reach for Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Sabotage and/or even Heaven & Hell when I need a shot of adrenaline.

6. Motorcity supernaut

Motorcity supernaut I've seen the future and I've left it behind

Started listening to Sabbath when I was about 12. 47 now and still listen to them all the time.

Bill Why Man likes this.
  7. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

First heard them at about 10. 52 now. Never blew me away but I played Iron Man and Paranoid in a band in HS, got a 2 CD comp of the Ozzy era and saw their farewell tour. To the extent I enjoy them I consider them a guilty pleasure. I would not go as far as to say I respect them, but they do what they do with conviction.

8. Mowgli

Mowgli Runs with scissors

walrus likes this.
  9. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I got the WSOSFRR CD in 1992 when I was 12 after reading a feature in Circus Magazine called ‘The Encyclopedia Of Hard Rock & Metal Bands.’ I already was into Ozzy and had No More Tears as well as Ugly Kid Joe (Sweat Leaf) and FNM (War Pigs) who covered Sabbath. I didn’t get the rest of the Sabbath albums until a few years later but had more CDs with Sabbath covers than Sabbath CDs for awhile with Speak Of THe Devil, Live & Loud, and Nativity In Black Tribute CD.

10. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Tell your wife: "I'll stop listening to Sabbath when you stop buying flash shoes." That should shut her up.

11. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

And what's an ABA?

12. I was such a big Ozzy—and only Ozzy—fan in middle school that I actually had no idea that he made his name fronting Black Sabbath, even when I purchased a cassette of Speak of the Devil new off the shelf and sported my Diary of a Madman 3/4-sleeve shirt that I won at the county fair.

I outgrew the Madman during high school, only to reunite with him in college as I fully embraced Black Sabbath and their complex, jazzy arrangements, dropped-D tuning, aggression, and open-mindedness toward Supernauting.

I have enjoyed Ozzy-era Sabbath ever since, unapologetically. At this point, I've gone beyond the their untouchable first four (six?) LPs to appreciate Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die! Hell, 13 is pretty bitchin'.

I say take Sabbath as far as they can take you. Don't worry about your age. They're older than you.

My Eyes Are Blind But I Can See,

Bill

ODShowtime and Murph like this.
  13. Count Orfloff

Count Orfloff Forum Resident

Turning 50 next week. Heard Sabbath for the first time in 1980. Funny thing is with age, i tolerate less an less rock music since my tastes have moved to jazz and blues, but Sabbath is definitely something else. They convey a sense of freedom and pure artistry that i only find in the best jazz music. The recent batch of Warner/QRP lps reinforced my addiction.

14. For me, generally I think you retain/like, have fondness for what you grow up with and those childhood and teenage years regarding music are your template for life.
    And...life is short. Keep loving what you love.

15. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

12-13ish, had Paranoid on 8-track, 56 now, still a favourite band.

[​IMG]

zphage, texron and M2225 like this.
  16. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

[​IMG]

One of the first albums I ever bought when I was 10. Iron Man, of course, was the stand out track. I'll let you figure out my age.........:winkgrin:

Scope J likes this.
  17. mickey g

mickey g Forum Resident

LOL. No FF button on 8-track. You could only switch to another "track" or had to suffer until it automatically switched. Cassettes had the FF function, though.

They were super modern ! :D

BPMC likes this.
  18. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

May 5, 2018 : today is Bill Ward's 70th birthday .....

Borgia, footlooseman and Brenald79 like this.
  19. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Sabbath is weird for me. My brother and sister had the bright idea to take me to a concert in 1972 -- I was 8, brother was 21, sis was about a month from her 17th b'day -- so my first experience with live music was Black Sabbath. It was in Pittsburgh, so most likely March 27, '72. I remember going, and being part of a huge audience, with a cloud hovering over the whole place. I'd been to baseball games before, with more people, but (obviously) this was something totally different.

I didn't become a big Sabbath fan. I love their sound, and dozens of their songs, and they were very different, nobody else like them. I played some of their stuff in my first band. I have a couple bootlegs, and even saw Ozzy with Randy Rhoads about 10 years after seeing him when I was a little kid, but I currently don't own any of their albums in any format.

I have kicked myself a bunch of times for not going to see them when Bill Ward was still playing, and now it's too late.

I listen to all kinds of stuff. Should probably pick up a couple of Sabbath's best while they're on my mind.

ODShowtime likes this.
  20. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I was at Target the other day, or some other random store, doesn't even matter. I saw a guy maybe 25 years old with a Black Sabbath shirt on. I thought that was so cool. :)

21. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

20. Working in a record store. Couldn't stand them.

Have 'em in my collection now, part of the soundtrack, etc, etc.

kevin5brown likes this.
  22. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Black Sabbath and I are celebrating our 50th birthdays this year. Hell yeah :cheers:

kevin5brown likes this.
  23. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

Nobody I know
    will ever take
    My Black Sabbath
    away from me ...

Mowgli likes this.
  24. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

I'm 53 and didn't listen all that much to Sabbath growing up. I was much more of a Zeppelin guy. But I love Sabbath now. And I think it's precisely because I didn't OD on them decades ago. All of their first six LPs are classic, and the two Dio albums are great as well. Hell, there's even a few good tracks on the Gillan album. Also, Ozzy's first two LPs are awesome. Much to love.

ODShowtime likes this.
  25. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I have a cousin who has two teenage children who are both doing School of Rock. They both were picked to do an all Black Sabbath show this month, and they are super excited. I thought that was very cool, and I'm definitely going to be there. I was their age when I discovered Sabbath, and played their songs in my own bands. I'm getting close to 50 now, and I go through phases where I listen to them a lot, and other times not so much.

zphage likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.