Black Sabbath - Born Again

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Holy Diver, Sep 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member Thread Starter

Man, I love this album. I had it on tape when it first came out. I used to listen to it on headphones, and did it rock. I have both the 96 and the 2004 Castle CD versions, and I like the 2004 more. The drums sound more clear (clear for this album). lol

2. pencilchewer

pencilchewer Active Member

i've never heard it and yet i still call myself a Sabbath fan....

i think i might have to check it out, now that you're sitting there saying you love it and all...

what's so good about it (besides the drums)? what's the best track?

3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member Thread Starter

Trashed, Disturbing the Priest, Born Again, most of them. It is a very "evil" sounding album. The cover fits it just right. I also like Keep it Warm. Tony rips that solo.

QQQ, CBackley, Szeppelin75 and 4 others like this.
  4. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

One of my favorites, too. Saw the tour in support of the album. Sure was weird seeing Sabbath play Smoke on the Water.:eek:

Stallings, Madness and Classicolin like this.
  5. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Is that the tour Bev Bevan played on?

6. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

yes

7. dadaalice

dadaalice Forum Resident

Love the album. Sounds like mud, mud from HELL !!!

QQQ, mikedifr0923, Blue Note and 7 others like this.
  8. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

I do like the material on this record. Just way too much keyboards for my taste. But the recording/mix quality is just awful. I have heard demos from this record and even Ian Gillan's re-recording of one or two songs from this on the Gillan's Inn record and they ALL sound bad. I was hoping that Gillan would re-record it with less keyboards or none at all. No such luck.

9. +1 on the crap SQ.

I have this on vinyl (a mint copy, purchased new back in the day), and I literally can not listen to it. A couple cuts into it, and I just can't continue. The sound on this one makes Vapor Trails sound like a Steely Dan recording. ;-)

Brian

mikedifr0923 and Vinyl_Blues like this.
  10. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

This album has a piss-poor mix. When I met Ian in 2002 I asked him how come the album sounds so tinny and boomy with no midrange. He said that Geezer went back and remixed it after it was already done. I told him that the mix sounded like $hit but songs are great and he said to be honest :) And it was Geezer's mix that was released. I'd love to hear the original mix. Even if out host were to master this album (geezer's mix) it'd be like polishing a turd. It's a shame because it's a damn fine album.

QQQ and Vinyl_Blues like this.
  11. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

12. butch

butch Senior Member

To be brutally honest, this album is a guilty pleasure. there is something so camp about Born Again that it makes Spinal Tap look tame by comparison. The standout track is Digital Bitch, it typies the unintentional humor of the proceedings. Ian G's delivery is pure tongue in cheek. and Zero the Hero? They piled it on even more. Trashed was a good single(or featured track I should say),though not Sabbath's best. Ian seemed like he couldn't stay away from the word "bitch" could he?

black sheriff likes this.
  13. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I looked through the other threads to refresh my brain on this one, so now I'm curious.

I have the '96 Castle which I think is just OK. I also have the German Vertigo which I haven't listened to yet. Holy Diver, could you post a sample of the 2004?

Did anyone ever get the Japanese Vertigo?

14. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Be prepared: this is the Sabbath album that divides fans like no other. It's hailed as a classic by many (including myself) and Sabbath gone off the deep end by many others. It's probably Sabbath's heaviest album overall but there is also an undeniable camp factor there as well.

15. mike65!

mike65! Senior Member

This album never really clicked for me, although it was great to see them on tour (also being a Deep Purple and ELO fan, of course).

I thought that they were phenomenal live, and the added treat was Bev trying to temporarily shed his ELO image by dressing like one of the boys. :D

16. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I find that photo of Bev Bevan as ridiculous today as I did in '83. :laugh:

I won't belabor the point lest it turn into a threadcrap, but I think BA is a terrible album. "Camp" is not the word for it. However, I suppose it was in keeping with the times (HM was getting pretty cartoony at the time) and I suppose that the group deserves some credit for that.

17. pencilchewer

i think i was going through my "tired-of-Metal-bands-insisting-on-how-EEEEVIL-they-are" phase at the time.... i seem to remember judging the book album by its cover and instantly losing interest in hearing it...

you know, i've heard people say that, that either you love it or you hate it if you're a Sabbath fan, particularly an Ozzy devotee... now i'm all the more curious...

and you just touched on yet another thing that turned me off back then, how "cartoony" Metal was getting, in general... forget "Light Tin" hair bands like Poison and Cinderella, i went nowhere near them... in the late 80s, i started exploring other types of music, like what we now call "Goth", New Wave, etc... anything with half a brain that still had a touch of darkness...

but as we know, the passage of time can make one nostalgic enough to forgive past offenses, so i'm thinking it's about time i gave Born Again a chance, if for no other reason than to see what i missed...

as for sound quality, thanks for the warning, now i know not to actually spend money on it until i get a listen somewhere like the library before i decide whether i need to own it or not :D

QQQ likes this.
  18. zen

zen Senior Member

Even though it's "a terrible album" like dkmonroe said, it's still Sabbath's best work since Vol. 4. (along w/ Heaven and Hell).

19. dkmonroe

To me, it's big drop of quality after Sabotage, massive rebound for Heaven And Hell, slight attenuation with Mod Rules, and straight into the toilet with Born Again! :laugh:

Frances the Mute and Vinyl_Blues like this.
  20. dkmonroe

Yeah, one of my fave bands of the 80's was The Lords Of The New Church.

Did I think I was getting AWAY from the cartoony? I guess it didn't really work! :laugh:

21. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

One of my favorite rock stories is the fact that a hung over Ian Gillan woke up one morning and found out he agreed to join Black Sabbath the night before! :laugh:

CBackley and BDC like this.
  22. pencilchewer

:laugh: oh wow... it's like the Gods at play or something

23. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

what was he to do...the Purple re-union was already pencilled in, but he had sacked his band while Rainbow finished off their far east tour.

Gillan seems to be always waiting for Blackmore...no wonder he gets pissed off.

24. pencilchewer

:thumbsup:

i'd be pissed off, too

okay, i just gave this a listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwoT9_StEfY

definitely campy, yes :agree: *LOL* but i like it... i guess i missed out

i'm getting to this right in time for Halloween

25. dkmonroe

Now THAT'S comedy! :laugh:

Thread Status: