Black Sabbath Deluxe Editions January 22, 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Hud, Dec 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. old school

old school Senior Member

Are you giving us a Baba Booey?

Baba Oh Really likes this.
  2. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Explains a lot.

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I was disappointed in Black Sabbath & Paranoid...

4. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

To each his own.

5. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

Yeah sure it does. You can dislike them if you want. I like the Black Box.

And my opinion is every single bit as valid as yours.

Vinyl Fan 1973 and Curveboy like this.
  6. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Actually since you hide your profile and we don't know what you're listening on your opinion doesn't even count here anymore.

Sandinista and hi_watt like this.
  7. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

8. old school

old school Senior Member

First off I don't dislike Black Sabbath! It's a proven fact by many experts the " Black Box " is everything that could go wrong with a remaster went wrong!
    you're opinion might be valid, but it is dead last in the realistic world.

9. old school

old school Senior Member

It's not too each his own! A fact is a fact no matter how you want too say it!

Mr. H likes this.
  10. Chris Haley

Chris Haley Music Lover Lurker

From the thread about the Complete Albums 1970-1978 CD boxset:

Just got a reply from Dr. Rhino about the sources. Joe Siegler at black-sabbath.com is correct. They are the same as the 2004 Black Box. Here's what Dr. Rhino told me.
    "Thank you for your email, Chris. I have been advised that the remastering is the same as the 2004 Black Sabbath 1970-1978 box set. Dr. Rhino"

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/black-sabbath-new-box-complete-albums-box-1970-1978.344448/

11. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Believe me... I do not share his opinion.

12. Tone_Boss

Tone_Boss Forum Resident

13. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

@Jontario

I've compared the rest of BS HDtracks vs 2016. The 2016 is just a touch louder, but without shaving any peaks that I noticed. It's possible this volume increase was from a hair of compression rather than just a straight gain increase, but it's hard to say. It's so slight, it doesn't really matter, though.

Paranoid looks to be the only one which was unchanged from the HDtracks. But aside from Wicked World, the other two still sound basically the same as the HDtracks despite the minor differences. There's not really a winner. It's going to be down to whether someone wants CD or hi-res download, when it comes to the main albums.

Dino likes this.
  14. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

But some peaks on the "Paranoid" album (and on the HDTracks) were limited...

15. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

True, but there's no difference between the two releases. There's some limiting on MoR as well and maybe BS (can't remember). I was just talking of differences between the two releases.

16. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I like the Black Box too...it falls under the "dynamic range isn't everything" category for me, as Sabbath should sound big, loud and punchy.

17. How can something that is subjective be a "fact"?

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  18. pool_of_tears

I ordered mine today...and they better sound good, or I'm coming after you :p Just kidding. Based on what I've read, these should suit me just fine.

I foolishly got rid of my old US Warner discs and bought the '96 Castles in 1998, as I thought "remaster" was better. I look back and think "the Warner discs aren't great, but they're not bad...why did I make such a foolish change?".

19. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I think that those use the Black Box Mastering, There seem to be a couple different boxes with very similar titles that came out around that time.

Tone_Boss likes this.
  20. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I hope you read all of my posts and not just the one you quoted. :)

Aside from Sabotage and SBS, I think the WB discs are just awful, so I wouldn't spend anytime missing them. SBS is just ok, but not awful. Sabotage WB is still my fav digital, though.

I think you should find the 2016s to be better than the Castle '96s. I particularly dislike how the '96 BS & Paranoid sound and think the 2016s are a good upgrade. I don't remember what I thought of the MoR '96, though.

Queezma likes this.
  21. pool_of_tears

Oh, I've read things closely :)

The 1996 Castles don't sound right...immediately I thought Wicked World had the life sucked out of it, somehow. But I didn't fully understand at the time.

The only WB's I kept, for some reason were Sabotage and Mob Rules :)

yesstiles likes this.
  22. zen

zen Senior Member

I think you're not alone in that feeling.
    I stated years ago that these hard compression CD's were good for Sabbath's presentation. Not for better fidelity but gives the music more balls to help compete with modern metal's excesses. Let's face it, most folks are not audiophiles and they want intensity with their metal.

Curveboy likes this.
  23. tunes4thegoons

tunes4thegoons Forum Resident

Well, I hope I like the newest CD remasters. Ordered the first two, as well as Sabotage and SBS. They were fairly cheap as these things go. I think that makes for 5 remastered versions of their early catalog that I will now have.

I have a question about Sabbath's quad releases. Can anyone tell me which of their early albums were released in Quadraphonic? Obviously Paranoid was as evidenced by Sanctuary's vinyl transfer debauchery. Has there ever been a DVD-A or SACD commercial releases of any other Sabbath Quad recordings other than what Sanctuary released?

24. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Good. Didn't want you think I was saying these were the absolute best ever, but they are very good and depending on your personal sound preferences, they might be the best. I do feel they are definite upgrades over the WBs and Castle '96s.

I agree, the '96s don't sound right for the most part. Those two were great choices to keep. They are the two best sounding WBs, imo.

25. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

What SBS and Sabotage did you order? They weren't released as part of these 2016s.

Sabotage also had a quad mix, but was never released (and never leaked to bootleg, either). Paranoid is the only available Sabbath quad in any form and it's only official digital release was the terrible DVD-V in the Sanctuary 3CD deluxe. There's a very nice DVD-A from the commercial reel release "out there".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.