Black Sabbath Deluxe Editions January 22, 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Hud, Dec 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

I'm talking CD. in 2012 a vinyl box set was released. These used hi-res digital transfers from the master tapes, remastered again by Andy Pearce (meaning a new separate mastering from 2009). I'm assuming they just got those hi-res files and transferred them for these new CDs.

Adam Bosman and Sandinista like this.
  2. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

Well if the liner notes are anything to go by, the extra tracks on CD 2 are exactly the same as the 2009 editions. I'm not too fond of outtakes personally. I prefer singles, and live period tracks. So I have never listened to them seriously. I'm wondering if Evil Woman retains the 2009 mastering or 2012 though. I'll probably check that song out.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Is this issue of Past Lives any different than the original?

hi_watt likes this.
  4. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

Bump - Anyone?

5. Chauncey

Chauncey Forum Resident

I am waiting for feedback too. But I would probably snag that Pop Market deal if there was a current discount code.

6. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Anyone know popmarkets return policy on warped vinyl? It comes out to $6.24 savings on each set but if I have to pay to send back warped or damaged vinyl it's not worth it.

7. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

That's awesome. I'm convinced any Black Sabbath album purchased with a warning you'll go to hell sounds better.

8. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

A bit off topic. These were pressed at QRP and they're heavy vinyl. One or two MAY have some dish warping. For around $100 anyone can get a Vinyl Flat/Groovy Pouch and, with a little practice, fix any dish warping in a modern heavy vinyl pressing. This was necessary with my Bob Dylan Cutting Edge vinyl and the recent Black Crowes vinyl by GZ. Don't be afraid of bake times 10-12 hours. It works, it cheap, there are no sonic downfalls and it will pay for itself in no time. I have never returned a disc due to warping. That's like $6.24 x 300 or so. You do the math.

Preston and Benjy like this.
  9. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Solid. They usually just send out a new one or offer a pretty substantial refund. That said I don't return vinyl unless it's badly warped and/or affects play - slight warps are par for the course.

Rolltide likes this.
  10. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

No one has heard the vinyl yet?

11. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Black Sabbath-Paranoid
    2LP Deluxe Edition

Pressed at QRP

[​IMG]

John Bliss, ultron9, Wuther and 6 others like this.
  12. shelflife

shelflife Forum Resident

It appears we're left to make a decision without the benefit of reviews. The Popmart deal seems fair though I'd much prefer a similar deal without the live album.

What to do......

13. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I have all three studio albums. I've only listened to Paranoid once through. I like it.
    Mastering done by Andy Pearce....same as the deluxe CD editions. Some might find it a bit on the dull side. I think it's very smooth and very crankable. That's just my opinion from a quick listen on my system. Vinyl was flat and quiet.

14. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

Too late for the CD Pop Market deal, all sold out!

15. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Guess I'm too easy. The live album was what put me over the edge and got me to go for these. :)

I love Past Lives but the CD version was a brickwalled mess. I went with the new vinyl bundle, btw.

Anyway, the PopMarket deal was too good to pass up for me.

16. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I really want these even though I have rhinos and OG US copies of the first 2 albums.

I'm getting past lives this weekend for sure.

17. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Any idea how these compare with the (somewhat recent) Rhino single LP editions?

razorball likes this.
  18. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Seconded on wanting someone to hip us to that current discount code.

jimhb likes this.
  19. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

It darn well better be!

hi_watt likes this.
  20. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Yeah, it better be. The Live at Last lp and cd pressings sounded better than their incarnation on the Past Lives cd. I hope the recent vinyl version does it justice.

21. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I was thinking of the CD. I would like a new remastering done in a similar style to the three albums here, but didn't see anything indicting it was newly remastered. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

hi_watt likes this.
  22. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I had heard eariler that Sean McGee had worked on these. Was that not correct? Anyway, glad Paranoid is to your liking. Let us know about the other two.

23. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I've been a Sabbath fan since 1970 and have bought everything they put out but this time count me out. No more questionable digital remasterings. Until they see fit to do an all analog reissue from the original UK tapes I'll pass.

24. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

I own early 70s pressings for the first 6 albums. "Black Sabbath" as french Vertigo Swirl, "Paranoid" as UK Spaceship (2nd pressing from original stampers), "Master Of Reality" as UK Spaceship + WWA pressing (both from original stampers), "Volume 4" as dutch Vertigo Swirl (1st pressing), "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" as WWA pressing (1st) and "Sabotage" as NEMS first pressing...not to forget the original Vertigo Swirl 7" including "Evil Woman" and "Wicked World". For "Live At Last" I own a german early pressing with very good sound (Spiegelei) and for the later albums (up to "Born Again") I have durch Vertigo pressings. I think I am fine with what I have :)
    For digital: I think there is really no CD version out there which captures the original sound of the early 70s LPs. Not even the hi-resolution files sound like the albums - too much treble and much more hiss, compared to the original vinyl editions.

Grootna, ArpMoog and hi_watt like this.
  25. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

I just received the Press "WAV" downloads. Have yet to listen but as soon as I do I will report back if that helps?

Preston likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.