Black Sabbath Deluxe Editions January 22, 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Hud, Dec 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

No copy of Paranoid that I've heard (tape, LP, CD, etc) has ever come close to the power and the balls that my original UK Vertigo swirl has. They're all anemic in comparison. I just wish my copy was is better shape.

2. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

See? I wish I had a perfect UK Verigo Swirl too but this is 2016 and my four kids still have to go to college. I'll take these reissues at the price.

John Bliss and izgoblin like this.
  3. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I bought the first two. I had an original green label WB but something happened to it along the way and I had a cassette of Paranoid that my best friend and I shared in high school when it was new. I did buy a high rez d/l of the first album for my Pono a few months ago but I haven't heard Paranoid since the 1970s!

I wouldn't call the extra slab of tracks essential but like most are worth a spin. I would be happy with only the original album and I'm glad Evil Woman was removed from the running order of the first album. After hearing it for the first time I am not impressed. The chorus is so unSabath-like. Silly. I'm glad I can avoid it easily. My other reason for getting these was QRP's involvement and they were priced the same as the online stores and right in front of me.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I have US and UK originals, and for the ones I never got in UK originals I got the NEMS reissues from 1979/80 era. When you land a good NEMS without the surface pops and ticks, it's a really great sounding album. My copy of the first album on NEMS is breath taking, rich sound, master tapes had to be used it just sounds so much better than any US copy. Plus I got the gate-fold cover.

NEMS reissues got a bad rap for having copies with ticks and clicks, but once you get a good one, they are wonderful. I've said it before, the best kept secret in Sabbath imported vinyl.

Nielsoe likes this.
  5. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

If only we could get Sabbath cd's which sounded that good!

6. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

So, who's going to be the one to compare the new CD remaster of Paranoid to the well liked 1986 Castle?

yesstiles likes this.
  7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I thought that Paranoid was the only title in the 1986 Castle series that was not preferred of the first 5 albums?

I know it gets confusing with so many people saying this and that. Someone also has said a rare Japanese CD reissue is the one. But that might be because they own it and paid big bucks for it.

But is this thread about vinyl?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  8. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I'd love it if someone could post some samples from the new Paranoid. I'll confirm if it's the same as the HDtracks and also compare to some other masterings. I'm not a big fan of the Castle '86, though. Aside from the horrible dropouts in Iron Man, I find the Intercord to be the best sounding CD.

9. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I saw an original WB "greenie" last year in VG+ condition at best for the vinyl and it was $25 I think. I almost bought it but passed. I'm not going to worry over these titles. I only wanted the first two anyway. When Master Of Reality came out I thought they were starting to sound a little samey. :hide: No offense intended towards the über fans out there. I had the same experience with several other bands back then. I'm listening to Paranoid now and it sounds so fresh to me. I've forgotten so many of these songs. I don't listen to radio much and rock radio even less so it's rare that I hear the classic tracks that get worked over regularly. I'm digging the drums a lot. Bill Ward swings which makes him stand out and it reduces listener fatigue on my brain.

Erik Tracy likes this.
  10. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

No, most love the 1986 Castle. It's just that the Japan 33PD two-fer of "Paranoid" sounds a tad better for those lucky enough to find one.

11. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild Thread Starter

When I started the thread, I was only talking about the CDs since I don't have a turntable. It looks like there are vinyl reissues, and it looks like people are talking about those as well. Things are getting complicated trying to figure out who is talking about what.

12. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I don't know that there's really much of a consensus anymore with those. I don't care a whole lot for the Paranoid, but I very much dislike the sound of MoR. I think they really screwed something up on that one and I don't think it's as simple as removing the PE flag. Some here like the the way it sounds without the PE flag, but I think it still sounds quite off. Vol. 4 is too muddy for my tastes, but it's ok. BS and SBS are really the only two I think sound excellent, but prefer the SACDs for those. Even Live at Last, I like the '96 Castle and possibly one of the Creative Sounds over the '86.

13. bobdog

bobdog Forum Resident

I don't see how they are going to do better than the SHM SACDs (except for Paranoid) Too bad Sabotage, Technical Ecstasy, and Never Say Die were never released on SHM. I like my 86 Castle Paranoid just fine And I can stand the WB Sabotage CD. I would love to have flat transfers of Paranoid, Sabotage, TE and Never Say Die done the same as they did the SHM SACDs. I am not going to blind buy new remasters I have fallen for that before. Fool me once or twice shame on me. Fool me for the 4th or 5th time shame on me. F#@$ Sharon!

rnranimal likes this.
  14. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

I've skimmed through this thread and haven't really read any concrete opinions on at least how the debut album on vinyl stacks up between the WB/Rhino Grundman analog and this new 2016 version. At one of the record stores I was at today, I saw the Rhinos are all pretty cheap ($16 each) and figured it was worth giving one a try (my early 80's WB vinyl is very thrashed) versus the new double LP release (I already have the old castle and the deluxe versions on cd, so less need for the bonus tracks).

The thing is, I opened my Rhino LP and it was surprisingly filthy - what appears to be machine oil misted on one side and a lot of fingerprints. I'm sure a good cleaning will do the job but if the new double LP release is better, I may just return the Rhino and pay more for the new release.

rob303 likes this.
  15. I agree. And I'll even go out on a limb and say the Paranoind SHM-SACD sounds very good to my ears, the rest of the SACD's are definitive. I have the SHM for the rest of the titles and they are as good as can be expected given the source tapes. As you wrote, we can only hope to one day have the other three or four missing titles issues in SACD!

16. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Re: Paranoid. Try an early German or 'UFO' label, which will at least not have the tape problems of the Warner's.

17. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

It's official, the only thing left to blame Sharon Osbourne for is the weather.

18. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

I picked up the first three albums on vinyl in the new 2LP versions.

The new Paranoid wasn't much of an improvement over the previous Rhino but it doesn't have the volume issue on War Pigs. However, I like the s/t much better on this version. It's maybe more polite but it does sound more detailed to me, especially with the drums. I'll probably get rid of the earlier version.

celticbob likes this.
  19. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I found myself in the local college record store this morning and low and behold I see all the new Sabbath reissues. I've already purchased earlier reissues of all the albums but the Past Lives looked enticing. I have an old Spanish copy of Live at Last... I didn't know this was being released but once I saw it I knew it was coming home with me. I spun the first disc and it was great.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  20. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

Just save up a bit longer. My copy cost $95 - A bit steep, considering the condition (VG).

But, I've paid my money and it doesn't cost me any more each time I play it.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  21. bobdog

bobdog Forum Resident

If she had her way the only Sabbath recordings available for purchase would have the Bill Ward parts replaced with drums played by a hired gun of her choosing. Actually I honestly believe she would take the original multi tracks and re record everything but Ozzys vocals with session employees and make that what you can buy. I am surprised anyone would step up and defend her. Every one I know can't stand her.

Crungy, rnranimal and heepsterandrey like this.
  22. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Oops, I apologize. Soory to derail or confuse things.

23. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild Thread Starter

No worries, I should have put "CD" in the thread title. :)

24. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I personally couldn't care less who does or doesn't like her, as I prefer making up my own mind about things. I don't much care for her but I've never met the woman and wouldn't really know that much about her. I might read her father's book one of these days out of curiosity. In general, I'm not that nuts about her but more for things I've seen happen to Ozzy in terms of how he's been marketed in his solo career. And I assume she shares in the blame for that, but that's just my opinion. Others probably like how he's been marketed.

Whatever I don't like about her, trying to blame her for Sabbath remasters I don't like or credit her for Sabbath remasters I do? Well, that doesn't really compute. TBH, it sounds a little out there.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  25. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I`m playing the Paranoid Deluxe edition outtakes record.This sounds fine to me.I`m not sure about the very best but I very happy with the sound of this so far,nothing fatiguing at all.I loved some of the outtakes and they sound great here,a huge improvement over the cd.

sonofjim and Opeth like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.