Black Sabbath Deluxe Vinyl Double LP 1/22/16

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by warpig, Dec 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. warpig

warpig Senior Member Thread Starter

First three albums in deluxe edition coming out January 22 2016 from Rhino. Anyone has any info on the source and perhaps who is going to do the mastering. It sure would be nice if they used the original UK tapes. If that would be the case I would jump on them immediately.

People are out of their minds what they are asking for a first UK press.

Really don't care about 1st press last press its all about the sound. Not how cool you are because you are listening to vinyl.

John Bliss likes this.
  2. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I'm pretty sure Sean Magee at Abbey Road cut these. I'm not sure if they were from tapes or files. I'm guessing the same digital files that were used to create the CD editions a few years back.

3. warpig

If thats the case I will save my money. I have the Black Box vinyl set and listened to 1 record 1 time. Waste of money for me. Oh well still keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks

4. spacecoyote likes this.
  5. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Just another run of 2012 remasters. I'm just not excited.

6. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Look for the 70s WWA reissues from the UK. Many of them used Veritgo stampers, so they will be sonically indistinguishable from originals. They'll just be lacking those insanely expensive black and white swirly Vertigo labels.

ellingtonic, Dino and sathvyre like this.
  7. warpig

Yeah I looked at those also. They may or may not have the same stampers from my understanding. Then someones NM is my VG. Its a crap shoot. It would be nice if these individuals would get their **** together and do these things correct. I have no desire to purchase digitized music. How hard is it to get the original UK tapes and do it right. Paying good money for used records is getting old. The whole feedback system sucks. People selling records that have know idea. I purchased 3 supposedly Whos Next track record. One was a freaking club record with the club stamp on it.

They minus well just take the cd and transfer it to the vinyl. Either way not buying the digital copy. Sorry for the rant. Sabbath is one of my favorite bands. Hopes were a little high to get these done the right way eventually. Do not want to and will not drop a thousand dollars on the Sabbath catalog used.

Peace All

8. Jim N

Jim N Forum Resident

Yep, it's a shame they are not doing it right (off the original tapes), Sabbath's music deserves it. I'd love to get a killer remaster of Sabotage with studio outtakes and possibly some clean live cuts from that period.

Agent of Fortune likes this.
  9. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

So the question is, since they're using the 2012 remasters, is the 2nd LP of outtakes worth $32? The tracks on the first album seem more interesting than the other albums. An alternate version of NIB is very appealing.

10. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

how is this going be different from the reissues on vinyl from recent years? other than the extra tracks

11. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Yeah, finding nice copies of specific pressings from specific stampers takes A LOT of time and patience. I always ask sellers what's in the deadwax and whether or not they've listened to the album. If they don't respond or say "It looks brand new!" I move on. It's not worth the gamble.

I found a minty, still in shrink wrap Sterling stamped copy of Sabotage this year for $25. Good vintage copies are out there. The WWAs are harder to come by in the States. I bought my WWA/Vertigo copy of Master Of Reality here on the forum. I've had luck posting in the "wanted to buy" section here, too. Even in 2016 (almost), I still find great deals on supposedly super-rare, unaffordable original pressings from time to time.

Those Rhino reissues cut by Chris Bellman are all analog, and they sound great for the money. They're likely from US copy tapes, but you can find them for less than $20 new.

Robert C likes this.
  12. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

The deluxe 2nd disc contents were very underwhelming, IMO. MoR was the best, but still only a few interesting tracks. Paranoid was the worst with a bunch of instrumentals. The alternate Caravan is cool, though. The BS "outtakes" were mostly just rough mixes of the album versions that are missing some overdubs. "Black Sabbath" was the only track which was an alternate take to the album version.

13. warpig

Agree on the Chris Bellman albums and those are the ones I mostly listen to. Did purchase the Attention Vol 1 and 2. They sound good but its just not the same. Oh well I will just stick with the Bellman copies. They are a bargain for 18 dollars and change. Just checked and see some of them for 15 dollars. Now thats what I am talking about. Someone new to Sabbath could do no wrong picking these up. All the Ozzy years could be had for a little over a 100 bucks.

Happy Listening

14. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

Anyone heard these yet?

15. Elusive Disc says they won't have them before 1/22. Can't speak for other vendors.

16. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Sound Stage Direct appears to have them today. That's what has my interest peaked. I'd like to know if they're a better version of the earlier Rhinos.

17. warpig

Elusivedisc also has them with 12 percent off. Total is around 29 each.

18. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

I am just trying to understand the available issues. The one disc Rhinos that are still available were all analog. From what I have seen only one of them announced that on the cover, I think it was Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. But everything I have read said the series was AAA but not sure how they know that and why it wasn't trumpeted on the covers themselves. This new Deluxe series is from 2012 digital files. Not sure I am right about anything, corrections or verification welcome.

19. warpig

Off of elusivedisc for the Rhino vinyl. I also would assume they were the US version.
    Black Sabbath Lacquers cut by Ron McMaster at Capitol from the original analog album masters
    Paranoid Mastered from the original analog tapes at RTI, pressed on 180 gram heavy vinyl!
    Master of Reality Lacquers cut by Ron McMaster at Capitol from the original analog album masters
    Vol 4 Remastered by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Studios Cut from Original Analog Album Masters
    Sabbath Bloody Sabbath Remastered by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Studios Cut from Original Analog Album Masters
    Sabotage Remastered by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Studios Cut from Original Analog Album Masters
    Never Say Die cut by Ron McMaster at Capitol from the original analog album masters

Most suggest these were cut from the HDTracks not sure though.

Paully and Dino like this.
  20. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I know this is about the Deluxe reissues, but for the record, my opinion on the RHINO LPs:

BS: Bright, but solid.

Paranoid: This was done earlier (2004) than the others and by Kevin Gray. I know he's well respected here and I enjoy his work, but this is not a good cut. People blame it on the source tape he had and yes, the volume fluctuations in "War Pigs" are still there, but it's just so damned BRIGHT. Dynamics are amazing, but too much treble for me.

Master Of Reality: A bit bright for my taste. On par with the s/t.

Vol. 4: I really enjoy this one. Chris Bellman found a warm, bassy sound which I think works well.

SBS: Same as above. Nice cut and seems to have some lower midrange that brings out the bass lines a bit. Nice

Sabotage: This is a great cut, but as has been mentioned around here, there is tape damage at the start of "The Thrill Of It All." It's only a few seconds but it's a real drag. Otherwise nice cut again by Bellman.

WSOSFR&R: I thought this sounded good until I scored an original UK pressing. It then sounded smiley faced. Still decent.

TE: This is the most different of the bunch. It is dry and has far less reverb than the original UK LP. I don't know if Iommi decided he wanted that reverb added to the final mix or what, but it's a bit different to hear it like this. It is more dynamic than the UK Vertigo LP I have. I think this was another Bellman cut. Overall the UK sounds more like the album I know, but I think this is worth having.

NSD: Sounds real nice. I have an original UK Vertigo and I think this is right there with it.

H&H: Came out a but before the Ozzy-era (sans Paranoid) had been done. REALLY nice!

MR: Same as above.

LE: Another gem!

Dehumanizer: I don't have another vinyl cut to compare with but the Rhino absolutely SMOKES the original US CD version.

21. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

Thanks for the great responses! That really answers my question.

22. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident

Albums with laquers cut by Ron McMaster @ Capitol are likely not AAA.

richbdd01 and Paully like this.
  23. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

SBS is a very good reissue. I'm actually playing it right now. It's a CB master. As I understand it, the others are Vol. 4 and Sabbotage. Find those, get the deluxe reissues of the first three and perhaps Past Lives and you should be off to a really good start on the Sabbath catalog. Hope so anyway, that's the path I've chosen.

marcelbr, ODShowtime and Opeth like this.
  24. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

Past Lives defied my expectations, given the sources available!

jimhb, Sean and Olias of Sunhill like this.
  25. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

Listening right now and quite satisfied with it.

Sean and marc with a c like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.