Black Sabbath Deluxe Vinyl Double LP 1/22/16

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by warpig, Dec 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Good to hear about past lives I'm most excited about having this in vinyl. Looks like Tuesday my 4 albums will show up.

2. warpig

warpig Senior Member Thread Starter

Cool as of right now the only one I purchased is Past Lives. Should be getting it Monday. I have Live At Last on cd and it was to put it lightly not so good. Its been a long time since I listened to that cd and maybe I would change my mind. Looking forward to hearing Past Lives. Thanks All for the info.

3. warpig

Yes that is what some are saying. It would be nice to have a definitive answer. Wonder if Ron McMaster would answer the question?
    Thanks

4. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

I wouldn't expect miracles with this source material, but the new LP of Past Lives is the best I've heard for these recordings. Bill Ward's sheer brilliance back then shines through the most, while Geezer is mostly indistinct expect for a few passages.

marc with a c likes this.
  5. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

That would be nice. Why do we think that AAA is unlikely and why are major vinyl outlets saying that they are?

6. warpig

I am far from they expert. If I am not mistaken Ron was is at Capitol and it is my understanding that Capital did not have the equipment to do it AAA. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I have been reading so much of this stuff lately I may have gotten it mixed up.

Paully likes this.
  7. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

Acoustic Sounds flat out said they are digitally sourced

Cassius, audiotom and Paully like this.
  8. Wade Burrow

Wade Burrow Bound to get lucky

I wish Chad Kassem would take up the Black Sabbath catalog

9. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Interesting idea but I question whether a $50 reissue of Vol. 4 could sound much better than the $17 Rhino. It certainly would be pretty though.

10. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

So is there any bonus material with the Past Lives reissue? Am I right in assuming this is the old "Live at Last" I have on CD? What's the difference?

11. Wade Burrow

Wade Burrow Bound to get lucky

He could do it for $35 33 1/3. I would pay $50 for Paranoid cut from the Original UK Tapes w/o the volume drops and other issues, however.

Gardo, hi_watt, ArpMoog and 3 others like this.
  12. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

It's L@L and you also get a few tracks from the Asbury '75 show and a handful from the Paris '70 concert. Both complete shows in similar quality circulate on bootlegs (Paris also being on video). If the PL vinyl was mastered from the PL CD source, you also get a nice helping of brickwall.

Imo, all the L@L CDs I've heard (4, I believe) beat the Past Lives CD. So it's a matter of what the source/mastering was for the new vinyl. My guess is that if a frequency test is done, it will show to have been from CD source. But if not, then it's a new hi-res mastering and could be an improvement. I'll bet anything, though, that the bonus tracks are CD sourced even if the main album is not. Being that L@L was not in the hi-res downloads and it was not advertised as a new mastering, I'm pretty sure it's just going to be from the CD master.

SteveCam likes this.
  13. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

My Pop Market bundle arrived today and I started with Paranoid. I have no stellar past issues of this album. My WB Greenie and my UK Spaceship are both subpar beat up copies. I became addicted to this album on a 1970s second hand cassette tape. This is the best copy I have. It's good enough to be my stopping point. Digital mastering? I don't know that I've heard a better version. Who are we to say? Maybe fairies really do wear boots. Maybe a digitally mastered LP can still sound better than some AAA. Hmmm, which scenario seems more likely?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  14. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

Well maintained UK first pressings can sound (not always) so much more dynamic than later pressings

It's not just about the collector end. I recently bought a Paranoid UK original and was looking to see if these rereleases were any good

I am specifically looking for the first lp
    Any later pressings with the same stampers?

15. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I'm just getting through the first three on vinyl. So far none of the extra material. I like these. I wish the covers could have been done with a little more quality but they're adequate. Overall, very crankable and dynamic IMO. A song like Hand of Doom really benefits from quiet, crankable vinyl. The quiet portions sound good with just about the right amount of background tape hiss and then it just sort of erupts out of the speakers. The most enjoyable versions I have.

These fill what had been a glaring void in my collection which is what a good reissue should do.

Opeth likes this.
  16. warpig

Oh well I may have to give them a try. Sabbath is one of my favorite bands. I could do without the bonus material if they would do an all analog from the UK tapes. I will more than likely get Paranoid. Love that album. Lately I have been enjoying the second side. Kind of played the first side to death.
    Peace all and thanks for the review.

17. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident

I'll probably go ahead and at least check out the first album. I didn't care too much for the Rhino reissue from a few years back. Sounded a bit harsh and bright to my ears. I'm just not a fan of these 2 LP reissues with bonus tracks...I'll doubt that I'll ever even bother to listen to the bonus LP.

18. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

My popmarket bundle was at the PO yesterday so I went and picked it up. Popmarket packages things awesome, not so much as a corner ding on these.

I must say the first album is so much better than the rhino from before. Huge open soundstage, the rhino sounded very closed off and wasn't enjoyable. There's a feeling of space and separation yet smoothness and good tone on the 2lp which I enjoy much more.

Listening to past lives now and enjoying it very much, especially wicked world, have not heard this since I had the cd's 20 years ago :)

The pressing quality is just perfect too, all flat and no off centered sides, glad I picked these up so far. I'll be listing to Paranoid a little later and MOR tomorrow probably.

Boots71 and whiskeyvengeance like this.
  19. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I just noticed on sides 2 and 4 of all 4 albums Sean Magee's dead wax inscription "i…i"

@third

Sean Magee, another job well done mate :righton::cheers:

BGLeduc likes this.
  20. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I agree, I find the sound quality to be all I'd hoped for. I'm on to the bonus material now and really enjoy those discs too. Not essential maybe, but far from a waste and I do see myself continuing to play them. MOR maybe has the most to contribute in extra material but I enjoy all of them. Evil Woman on the S/T bonus disc is great IMO.

21. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Past Lives is an interesting collection with some material sounding better than others. This is definitely not up to the sound quality standards of the other three titles though. IMO it sounds like a fairly descent bootleg. Anyone who got Past Lives and liked it should definitely not be afraid to try out any of the other three Deluxe vinyl titles. They are on another level IMO.

22. warpig

That is the way I remembered Live At Last on cd that I listened to so long ago. Kind of like a bootleg.
    Anyway I broke down and purchased the other 3. Have not read a lot of reviews on the vinyl but the ones I have read have been positive. Mostly read here. Thanks all for the info.

23. sassi

sassi Forum Resident

How do these new pressings compare to the Rhino reissues from a few years ago. Those were all analog, weren't they? :)

24. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

If more bootlegs sounded like Live At Last, I'd spend a lot more time listening to bootlegs.

25. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

See the first page for a discussion on the sound quality, and the all analogness (or not as the case may be) of the Rhino records.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.