Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules best pressings?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BryanA-HTX, Dec 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor Thread Starter

I don't know if there's a section for asking what the best pressings of albums (if there isn't it'd be cool if there was a dedicated table-type of thing for popular albums with recommended pressings), so I'll just ask away here.

What are the best pressings for Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules by Black Sabbath? I'm asking because I've gone through a couple of copies of HH and the quality has been a bit muddy (they're both clean though). I used to have a very good sounding copy of it, but I don't know what the inner-groove number was.

I also have a copy of Mob Rules which both sides have a decent amount of space between the last track and the label, and looking on eBay there's copies that have the tracks spaced out a bit more leaving less room (which on my cheap-ish turntable of course will pick up more IGD on those copies as opposed to my current one). It sounds decent but it's condition has suffered, don't see any online that look like mine. What do you all think are the best pressings for these two albums, specifically the US WB label ones?

My Heaven and Hell deadwax: Side 1 BSK1 3372 WW2 Side 2 BSK2 3372 WW2 #4
    Mob Rules: Side 1 BSK1 3605 6/A Side 2 BSK 2 3605 1D

2. budlyte

budlyte Forum Resident

ian christopher likes this.
  3. BryanA-HTX

That's for CD, I'm referring to vinyl.

latheofheaven likes this.
  4. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

For Heaven and Hell, the Holland LP has a good reputation. But since you mention your LP sounding a bit "muddy," I'm not sure you'll like it. It is darker and I happen to enjoy it, but many versions of H&H seem to have been boosted in the top end, which you may prefer.

Frankly. I've never heard a bad pressing of Mob Rules. I would just buy a Mint original Warner Brothers and not worry about the deadwax.

Rhino Records also reissued both of these a few years back. They both sounded excellent.

Clanceman likes this.
  5. BryanA-HTX

Any recommendations for a WB H&H though by any chance?

6. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Yes.

I have an original release on vinyl of the WB H&H - imo, sounds clear, dynamic, and quiet too.

Jam757 likes this.
  7. BryanA-HTX

Yes that's the version I'm looking for but what is the Deadwax info? I have one pressing but the quality is muddy.

8. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

As best as I can read the deadwax...for side 1:
    BSK-1-3372-A1

then

B-14937 2

9. dachada

dachada Senior Member

10. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

The original cut of Mob Rules was done at the Townhouse. Look for that in the deadwax. The bass is massive.

hi_watt and iloveguitars like this.
  11. BryanA-HTX

Read somewhere that WB copies with the A1 stampers sound the best.

As for the "Townhouse" in the deadwax is that exactly what it says?

12. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Yes, it will be machine stamped (Townhouse is a UK mastering facility).

13. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

I didn't know Heaven & Hell was owned by Waner Bros. Records in the US. I have two pressings of it, a 2006 (I think) European Sanctuary remaster on CD and the Japanese Universal SHM-SACD which I love how it sounds.

danielbravo and Clanceman like this.
  14. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

:righton:

15. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Heaven and Hell vinyl: BSK 1 3372-A1, BSK 2 3372-A1
    I've got to say it sounds signifigantly better than the 2 cd versions I have of the title (original WB cd, Rules of Hell boxset)

As for "Mob Rules", I bought the Rhino vinyl cut about 2 weeks before I found an original WB copy.
    The original had "Townhouse London" machine stamped on it, as noted above.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Rhino version. It had a bit more clarity and punch than the original vinyl, but that
    could be attributed perhaps to the age of the original. I would also note that the amount of deadwax on both versions is remarkably similar, which
    I'd speculate could be that the Rhino re-issue is an analog, not a digital based, cut.
    I'm not a 100% positive on that, but still, if you're not hung up on, or want to take a chance on the quality of an original, the Rhino offers a viable, affordable alternative, that sounds spot on.

16. BryanA-HTX

I concur with everybody that said the "A1" WB Heaven and Hell is the best. Just recieved this today, and it sounds AMAZING. Worth going thru 2 prior WB copies of the album, both of which sounded very muddy. Absolutely my go-to copy now.

Clanceman likes this.
  17. Kossoff is God

Kossoff is God Forum Resident

Holland Vertigo A/1, B/1 pressing beats out a UK and US 1st press. The Dutch pressing has more clarity in the midrange. Also the bass sounds more fierce and the drums sounds more organic.

18. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

My favs:
    1-Vertigo/Universal deluxe editions (UK presings)
    2-Japan shm-cds (2 cd version mini-lp) or singles cds
    3-The first cds by Warner Records. cheap and decent sounding cds.

19. danielbravo

These are great cds with a besutiful and great sound!

20. zen

zen Senior Member

Save money and buy the original Warner Records CD's.

danielbravo likes this.
  21. danielbravo

The box "Rules of Hell" are crompresed and seems too loud and brickwalled to me. I own it but I prefer the deluxe editions made by Universal/Vertigo
    ( Uk pressings )

22. danielbravo

Yes
    YES! CHEAP AND GOOD SOUNDING CDS. But the extra songs from the deluxe editions are great aditions my friend.

zen likes this.
  23. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

The Deluxe CD is out of sight. :thumbsup: Only CD version I have heard that compares to the best vinyl cuts very well

SHM-SACD is terrible, IMO. Way too bright. Castle/Sanctuary is just compressed garbage. Old WB also too bright. There was an early issue in Japan (32PD-129) which is quite nice but no better than the Deluxe and maybe not even as good.

24. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

I like how the SHM-SACD sounds, maybe because my set is on the sof side. Thanks anyway for all your input, trully appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.