Black Sabbath History; Question Answer Thread; New Fans Needed

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paulette, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Paulette

Paulette Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi all!
    This thread is to be like a question answer forum.
    Many of us already know a butt load about Sabbath, so there should not be any lacking in answers :wave:

Any new fans?!

Join the fun, don't be shy, become part of the conversation.

I have quite a few questions in mind and I plan to do 1-3 questions per day depending on how things go.

So, I am going to submit a question and anyone who wants to answer it can answer it.

2. Paulette

How did the first four members meet?

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  3. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

At Satan’s house

4. Paulette

That would be his "Lair" ;)

5. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

What's Ozzy's real name?

Paulette likes this.
  6. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

John Michael Osbourne.

squittolo, Paulette and Bingo Bongo like this.
  7. Paulette

Besides that's where not how.

8. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Just a little humor. I am a big fan of their music but relatively late to them, i.e. wasn’t a Sabbath fan as part of any rebellious youth. Therefore I know little trivia about them and will be very interested in this thread, thanks!

michanes, GoodKitty and Paulette like this.
  9. Paulette

I know it's a super easy one but I did not want to start off too hard in case there are people here that don't have a lot of knowledge. I mean, I can't be the only person who just became a Sabbath fan 18 months ago :pineapple:

mark winstanley and Bingo Bongo like this.
  10. Paulette

And I was just funnin' too.

mark winstanley and Dan Steele like this.
  11. dkmonroe

Bill and Tony started playing together in a band called The Rest when Bill was 15. Geezer was in a band called Rare Breed and was a guitarist, and he joined with them a couple of band names later. IIRC they lost their singer, and Geezer saw an ad on a bulletin board in a music store for "Ozzy Zig", who claimed to be a singer with his own P.A. Geezer went around and met Ozzy and introduced him to Tony and Bill, and Tony and Ozzy realized to their horror that they had been to school together, and Tony had kicked Oz around a few time over the years. But Ozzy did have a P.A. system so, much like Bill Wyman and his extra amps, he was welcomed into the fold. Sometime during that period, Geezer was demoted from rhythm guitar to bass, and at first just played bass lines on a tuned-down 6-string guitar.

This is just a thumbnail sketch and I'm sure some other people will show up to add more detail.

drift, NunoBento, Blastproof and 8 others like this.
  12. Paulette

See, this I did not know. That he played a tuned down 6 string.
    Did he plug it into a bass amp?

13. Paulette

14. Paulette

15. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

16. Hi Paulette, hi everyone,
    thanks for creating this thread, looks like fun!
    I am actually not very good with details of the band history, so I am glad to see that dkmonroe already answered the more difficult question. One little bit I remember from one or two interviews with them is that the Ozzy's ad was headlined "Ozzy Zig Needs A Gig" or "Ozzy Zig Requires Gig" or something around those lines.
    Anyone who wants to fill in more details? Most importantly, how had Bill and Tony met, and how exactly did they meet Geezer?
    There are one or two websites where we could possibly look it up, but I am hoping for somebody who knows it all from the top of their head.
    :)

17. dkmonroe

I don't remember for certain, but I would suspect that he just kept using a guitar amp until it became really necessary to accept the bass role and get proper equipment. It may have been all over and done with by the time they added Ozzy to the band.

Paulette likes this.
  18. dkmonroe

I've always loved that "Ozzy Zig" thing. It's a wonder that he didn't keep that moniker! It would have been pretty goofy I suppose. :laugh:

19. I guess so. :) I think its one of the little stories that show how young and fun-oriented they are at the time. It's a great anecdote indeed.

Dan Steele, Paulette and dkmonroe like this.
  20. Travelin Man

Travelin Man Forum Resident

I've always wondered why Sabbath didn't have many unreleased songs during the Ozzy era. I think I remember one that had the word "woman" in it or something.

21. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

Black Sabbath is a top 10 band for me. This has always been based on the debut album through "Born Again", and then back on board for "13". I really want to take the plunge into the albums from 1986 through 1994. Any I should seek out first? Any to definitely avoid? I'm thinking Dehumanizer since I love the two early 80's Dio albums.

Dan Steele and Paulette like this.
  22. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

I should also note I have the live albums "Past Lives" and "live Evil"---love them both!

Dan Steele and Paulette like this.
  23. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

If you are a fan of the Dio era, check out Dehumanizer (1992). This was one of my go-to cds that summer. I still spin it from time to time.

24. dkmonroe

"Weevil Woman '71" is one of the few nearly complete unreleased songs from the Ozzy era. I think they just spent so much time on what was actually released that they didn't have a lot of unused stuff left over. Either that or they're really holding out on us.

Even this is probably more of a demo than a finished song. But it's pretty cool nonetheless.

Devin, Andersoncouncil and Paulette like this.
  25. How about opening a new thread for your question? I love Sabbath and will be happy to advise, I just think that discussing this here is derailing this thread too much.