Black Sabbath records...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Aquateen, Jan 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aquateen

Aquateen Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the Uk pressings are better. ;) Seriously though what are the best sounding pressings? Paranoid in particular.

2. chrischross

chrischross New Member

Aqua,

We had a thread that discussed the issue pretty well:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6420

I actually noticed that the mini-LP's from Castle are a bit boosted from their earlier jewel case releases. There is also a problem at about :31 on "Rat Salad Surgery". Unmistakable.

I'm going to keep the mini-LP's and keep the Warners I already have and add as I see fit. This link here had some good reasoning to keep at least some of the Warners:

http://users3.ev1.net/~sleeping96/sv06.htm

3. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

I have the jewel case Castle of Paranoid and I don't hear a problem on Rat Salad. But are we talking CDs or vinyl pressings Aqua?

4. pauljones

pauljones Forum Chef

I have the first four Sabbath albums on CD; I purchased them in the early 1990's at regular retail outlets.
    Packaging is really skimpy; for example Paranoid has only a very badly reproduced front cover with blank card flipside and the song titles listed on the back cover.

All are on the "Creative Sounds" label, and all indicate "Courtesy of Dorchester Holding". I believe the retail was 4.99 each.

They sound good; Paranoid in particular sounds much better than the Warner Bros. version!

Anyone know about these?

Paul:confused:

5. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

Creative Sounds CDs had extremely bad packaging. I used to have two early Deep Purple albums that they did, and the sound was as bad as, I assume, some n-generation copies that they had used.

As for Black Sabbath, I have a Castle mini-LP reissue of Paranoid that sounds fairly good - good bass, in particular. I never had the jewel case Castle CD, so I cannot say whether they boosted the treble or not. Their Uriah Heep reissues (talking about jewel case) had a boosted treble, that is for sure.

6. Claus

Claus Senior Member

There are rumours Rhino will release the complete Warner records sometime in 2003/4.

I was very surprised as I have read no song from Ultimate Sin is on Ozzy's upcoming 2 CD compilation: Essential Ozzy Osbourne.

7. danstone

danstone Senior Member

The webmaster of www.black-sabbath.com is reporting similar things:

"Over the next two years, the revered catalogue label will issue a Sabbath
    boxed set, followed by "upgrades" of each classic album, according to VP of
    A&R David McLees. The recent "Past Lives" concert collection was issued by
    Sanctuary and is not affiliated with the Rhino releases."

He seems to have lots of good information on his website on the news page: http://www.black-sabbath.com/news2002.html

I, too, have the Castle mini-LP box set and enjoy it immensely, but I'm quite interested in getting the Rhino remastered albums when they are released based on all the positive feedback the Symptom Of The Universe box set is generating in regards to noticeably improved sound quality. I have no problem with buying the albums again IMHO because I consider the Castle's collectible in their own right simply for the mini-LP covers and inserts.

Unfortunately, I'm not surprised at all considering the fiasco with the latest 'remastered' versions of Blizzard Of Ozz, Diary Of A Madman and Bark At The Moon and all the re-recording/altering that was done. They've ruined some great albums IMHO but I'm fortunate enough to have the original versions.

8. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

Sharon is probably pissed at Jake E. Lee or something and doesn't want to pay him any royalties!

9. nin

nin Forum Resident

On vinyl it's the UK original LP's that sounds the best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.