Black Sabbath to release Tony Martin era Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by orodreth, Mar 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orodreth

orodreth Well-Known Member Thread Starter

tcj, Fusionfan, Weirwolfe and 14 others like this.
  2. Even more interesting, is a possibly of the vaults opening for the classic era:

I've got a lot of lots and lots and lots of recordings of stuff we've done in the past that's never seen the light of day. I'd like to sort some of that out and put that on some of the albums. We are gradually going through these box sets and then there will be a Tony Martin [era] box set at some point coming out and stuff with Ian Gillan maybe. So, yes, there'll be other songs added, but it's never been used for anything.

Read More: Tony Iommi Plans to Release Tony Martin Era Black Sabbath Box Set | Tony Iommi Plans to Release Tony Martin Era Black Sabbath Box Set

slipkid and Sean like this.
  3. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

MYQ1, Purple, Curveboy and 1 other person like this.
  4. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

My favourite era of Sabbath. Tony Martin is great although I don't know if I need a new set of the same albums. The originals will do, I think.

wdiv, mikedifr0923 and warewolf95 like this.
  5. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

I'll believe it when i have it in my hands....

i remember him saying he was going to do a big box set type thing with Brian May and include a bunch of unused riffs and bits of music
    and release that too. and i think there was supposed to be something with the Born Again era as well, and he has unreleased stuff from
    his IOMMI solo album that he said he'd put out at some point....and years ago, there was supposedly a bunch of stuff from the Dio era's first two album
    that they claimed were great and never came out....same with the Dehumanizer era too....or his album he did with Lita Ford....

i hope it does happen, but i'm not holding my breath. i remember him saying once that they'd do a deluxe version for EVERY Sabbath album, then at one
    point said that there wasn't enough stuff to do deluxe editions for some of the albums....one of them being Vol. 4, and now that did happen....so yeah, it's
    hard to really trust what he says even.

WarEagleRK, zphage and carlwm like this.
  6. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

A nice and complete set, properly mastered (by Andy Pearce maybe ???) and with interesting (!!!) bonustracks would be really great !!!

7. Trader Joe

Trader Joe Forum Resident

Any date for release?

8. T-Mac

T-Mac Forum Resident

I have always dug the Tony Martin records, if anything they suffer from the late 80’s production style, a bit thin. I listen to them and think they would be better with more bass, would give it more balls. Iommi’s playing is excellent and Tony Martin was a fine vocalist.
    I’m an all eras Sabbath fan, sure I love the 70’s material far more but certainly enjoy throwing on TYR and cross Purposes every once in a while.

I also dig the Iommi solo record and the two with Glen Hughes.

I can certainly understand those who say Ozzy Only but they are limiting themselves to never gaining an appreciation for Tony I as a quite varied musician

Sly Stone said it best, different strokes for different folks

Curveboy, Sean, carlwm and 1 other person like this.
  9. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Tony Martin's solo albums are well worth a listen. Scream, from 1995, is particularly good, if not necessarily very Sabbath in style. Still rocks though.

He's got a new one - Thorns - due out soon.

10. Score17

Score17 Forum Resident

Finally! Hope the individual vinyl will also be made available. Looking forward to this.

carlwm and Sean like this.
  11. I guess that this is a reminder that I need to listen to this album again. I don't listen to anything after Born Again.

12. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Take my money. Hopefully it also includes Cross Purposes Live. I’ve never had that one.

Purple, Jimmy Agates, Sean and 4 others like this.
  13. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

those weren't meant to be Black Sabbath albums in the first place. Tony wanted to put them out as solo projects under his own name but the record company insisted that they carry the Sabbath banner to help insure album sales.

whatever one's allegiance to the original lineup and/or post-Ozzy era, we have Tony Iommi playing his ass off and that's good enough for me ─ call it what you want to.

14. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Would be good if they were. I don’t think this is top tier Sabbath but they are worth hearing.

15. kohoutek

kohoutek Forum Resident

This may very well be quite good. I have to say, the only one of these I have is the Deluxe Edition of The Eternal Idol and some of it is stunning--Tony Iommi certainly wasn't short of quality material or riffs. Though the Ray Gillen tracks are good (and are the reason I bought it), Tony Martin is impressive, coming in to right the ship at the eleventh hour--not an easy gig. He sounds great.

BluesOvertookMe, Curveboy and carlwm like this.
  16. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

My favorite version of Into The Void is on Cross Purposes Live

Sean, Todd W. and CBackley like this.
  17. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Damn. I need to hear that album.

Todd W. and Curveboy like this.
  18. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Terrible singing!!!

19. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

This could be interesting.
    I don't know much about the Martin era, but Tyr is an excellent album.

Purple, Sean, dlokazip and 2 others like this.
  20. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I like Tyr. A few great tracks, but this song is so bad... incl. the clip. My rating of Tyr is 7/10

Sean, CBackley and mark winstanley like this.
  21. Johnny Rock N' Roll

Johnny Rock N' Roll Forum Resident

Exactly. Every year or two it seems he says something about them, we all wait with baited breath--and then nothing happens ha. I will purchase whatever comes out, because I love the albums. I already own the CDs, so I hope whenever they are reissued, there will be bonus stuff (or will include Cross Purposes Live). But at this point, I just want it to be known the audience is there and will do my part and buy whatever gets released.

I don't think they are better (though it is hard as hell for me to do any sort of ranking, it would have to include an album from every vocalist in the top), but I agree, it's his loss. It's hard for me to imagine listening to a band who released at least 6, and maybe 7 or 8 depending on your tastes, of the most essential slabs of metal, and not thinking the other guys involved could still do some fantastic stuff without the original singer.

Ozzy rules! But so does Tony Iommi! (not to mention Geezer, Bill, Hughes, RJD, Martin, et al.)

22. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Maybe a track or two with Jeff Fenholt singing will finally see a legit release. Not bad, though not great. Tony Martin was the better choice.

23. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Feels like a slower, sludgy kind of version in the beginning and I agree. Once it turns up, also good. The vocals are powerful, not screaming and well heard.

carlwm and Curveboy like this.
  24. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

There is just such a groove between Tony, Geezer and Bobby Rondinelli that I think is unmatched by other eras.

squittolo and carlwm like this.
  25. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Comparing Bobby Rondinelli to Bill Ward is crazy. He is an average drummer... I have seen this guy with Rainbow a few times.

intv7 and MechanicalAnimal6 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.