Black Sabbath Vol.4 Andy Pearce Remaster

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Neilson77, Jun 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

How is the HDTracks download. I found the SHM-SACD to sound somewhat harsh especially on the track Changes.

2. Redhat220

Redhat220 Well-Known Member

I have not heard the HD tracks. Are you sure you have the most recent SACD? I'm not sure but there may be more than one mastering.

3. Redhat220

I didn't have that impression either. If this guy is so down on the Pearce versions, he doesn't seem willing to provide me with a better alternative. If there is one I'd like to go back and recompare, as I may change my mind about my own preferred versions.

4. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

"The guy" really likes the SHM-SACD versions of all Sabbath releases, except Paranoid.

5. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

I believe there is only one SHM-SACD mastering.

6. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident Thread Starter

The UK Porky Vinyl is brighter and has a better midrange than any of the US releases I've heard. To me, the Black Box Vol. 4 is brighter and louder but its not offensive. Really don't like the Pearce CD, you can tell the tapes not in great shape. Listen to the start of Wheels of Confusion or Snowblind. Its just too dark and murky sounding.

7. Redhat220

I'm pretty sure you are right. I listened to this today, and the only song with the harsh vocals is Changes. It's probably the way it was recorded, I don't know. The rest of the album sounds fine to my ears.

8. Redhat220

This "guy" just got a private message from that "guy" letting me know what his preferred versions are. You're seeing sarcasm where there is none. :chill:

9. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

the Black Box is really only of any value when playing in a car (preferably with open windows). it's of no value for critical listening.

10. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

You know, I bought Volume 4 back in the 70's on Vinyl, and this pretty much perfectly describes how the album sounded/sounds. For me it always was "muddy", and that thick veil was what made it distinct.......

I know we live in times when we get remasters and more details, more details, more details. But in the case of this album, that kind of takes away from what it was..... There's nothing wrong with that, of course, I like both, I'm just making an observation.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
    garythain, danielbravo and Robert C like this.
  11. Neilson77

The recent Rhino 180G reissue mastered by Chris Bellman also has that murky, muddy sound. Maybe Porky just boosted the midrange but it sounds better to me. The 180G sounds similar to the Pearce CD remaster.

12. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

every original vinyl copy of this album I've ever heard has been muddy, and in the case of the US pressings, side 2 has been especially murky.

13. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I'm having a little trouble wrapping my head around the idea of complaining that a Sabbath album sounds too murky ;). Never Say Die sure could have benefitted from some more murk.

14. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Yep, I always thought that was the point too.

15. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

And what's the deal with "under the sun" sounding way quieter than everything else on the album? btw my go to is the castle remastered from the 90's.

16. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

I agree, that's an apt description of the Rhino Vol. 4 LP. Verrrry thick and sludgy, particularly in the midrange. But I also noticed increased clarity and detail in the higher frequency range, especially on the snare and cymbals. And it does seem to improve with more volume.

17. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

Vol.4 is an dark and murky album...but If you like more bright sound, well your best choice is the Uk Porky vinyl as You said before. Try with the Ray Staff remaster If you want another perspective diferent to the Andy Pearce remaster.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
    Neilson77 likes this.
  18. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

I have a Creative Sounds (with the title of Children of the Grave) that I prefer to the 1996 Castle and the Pearce CD.

19. Neilson77

Listening to my UK Porky Vinyl now and it really is brilliant. Blows away any other mastering! The muddy/dull sound of the US releases and the Pearce remaster pale in comparison.

razorball likes this.
  20. zen

zen Senior Member

I'm with ya! Though I've got the deluxe editions, it's the Creative Sounds discs that are my go-to (warts 'n' all). IMO, Black Sabbath were meant to sound murky.

21. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

At the very least, they could always put a live show on the later discs. BS did record quite a few shows (audio AND video-not including the NSD 78 show) to release, but they were never released. Here are a few examples.

1969-11-16---Dumfries. Ozzy and co bought the master, but there are complete copies out there...somewhere
    1970-05-22 Dutch TV, most of the debut lp was done! (video)
    1971-07-24 Asbury Park, NJ (pro audio and video)
    1972-02-17 ROyal Albert Hall (pro audio and video)
    1973-03-09 Glasgow (pro audio)
    1974 Cal Jam--(pro audio and video--though I believe only a few songs were shot and or shown-the masters for the video burned) the audio slays!
    1974 Australian tour-(pro----all of the shows)
    1977-03-12/13/14/15---Hammersmith (pro audio) for a double lp that was never released.
    1978-09-024 Anaheim (pro video--in bill graham's estate's hands)

I'm sure there is more out there in their (Sabbath's/former mgmt/individual band member's vaults)

Of all the bands who should open the vaults, it should be these guys. The Doors, did it. Zeppelin let some stuff out. Even Pink Floyd with a few shows.

Classicolin and Dino like this.
  22. Neilson77

The Pearce remaster just sounds like you have a blanket over the speakers. The UK Porky vinyl and black box CD are much better. So much more detail. Really don't understand the harsh criticism the black box gets here. Yes its mastered loud and a bit bright but you hear extra detail that you don't on other masterings. I also have all the original Vertigo UK Vinyl. I like both those and the black box.

23. Redhat220

I liked the black box too at the beginning of my audiophile journey. Now I recognize it to be one of the worst remasters out there.
    My preferred version is the SHM. (Same for Master Of Reality) I've compared at least six different versions of Vol 4, and it's easily the best. As for the Pearce versions, for the rest of the Sabbath titles there are much better alternatives, and they are are much older CD pressings.

Here's my 2 cents IMO are the best sounding CD versions of each Sabbath album. (revised)
    1. Black Sabbath - '86 Castle (w/pre-emphasis) + Wicked World from the Creative labs CD
    2. Paranoid - '87 Vertigo 33PD (part of a twofer paired with the first album) (w/pre-emphasis)
    3. Master Of Reality - SHM
    4. Vol. 4 - SHM
    5. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - '86 Castle (w/pre-emphasis)
    6. Sabotage - '86 Castle (w/pre-emphasis) Despite some tape issues, still the best
    7. Technical Ecstasy - Japan Vertigo 23PD-137 (same as original US WB)
    8. Never Say Die - Japan Vertigo PHCR-2053 (same as original US WB)
    9. Heaven And Hell - West German Vertigo 830 171-2
    10. Mob Rules - West German Vertigo 830 777-2 (beats the original 1st US WB pressing)
    11. Born Again - Japan Vertigo PHCR-2054 (may be same as original US WB?)
    12. Seventh Star - Japan Vertigo PHCR-2055 (pending hearing the WG Vertigo)

Then I jump ship and return for....

13. Dehumanizer - Japan I.R.S. TOCP-7255
    14. Cross Purposes - Japan I.R.S. TOCP-8128
    15. Reunion - Japan Sony SRCS 8807~8

This Sabbath project has taken me roughly a year to assemble my preferred versions. At one time some were the Pearce versions, but none of those can touch these original, non compressed, non EQ twiddled versions.:)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
    Dave and Agent of Fortune like this.
  24. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I wonder what the master tape sounds like without any EQ changes? I agree. At least on my system no matter how loud I make any other CD version including the SHM SACD, they still sound murky compared to the Black Box version when I listen to them with my controls flat.

25. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I did a review of Wheels of Confusion on the Sabbath ABA thread and I had to relearn some of the guitar parts to be able to review it. The only way I could tell what some of the chords were was to go to the Black Box version. All of my other versions are too muffled to be able to tell some of the guitar parts. I understand what you are saying. It seems to be a case of extremes when it comes to the masterings of the album.

The Black Sabbath album by album thread (1970-2013)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
    Clanceman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.