Black Sabbath's Vol. 4: Best sounding version?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Agent of Fortune, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

I'll relisten to mine tonight, I don't recall having any issues with that pressing at all. I'll report back tonight.

puelche likes this.
  2. Marshall_SLX

Marshall_SLX Rega P9/RB2000

CB Vol 4 is awesome my pressing is fine and i put it right up there with my UK Porky.

I have the following and they are ranked in order of preference:

UK Porky>Rhino CB>UK Nems>US Warner Palm Tree

Dr. Mudd likes this.
  3. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

Is the most recent Rhino black vinyl reissue better than the orange vinyl that just came out a few weeks ago? I've heard quite a few negative comments about the latter.

4. Marshall_SLX

No idea but the new Sabbath Rhino's are digital transfers (although very good ones so ive heard) i wouldnt bother with either if you dont have the CB Rhino pressing as its all analogue and kicks ass

driverdrummer likes this.
  5. Vinyl Fan 1973

I have not heard the new colored reissue, but based on what I've read from others that have, I'm not buying it. I do have the Bellman Rhino reissue from a few years back and it's outstanding. As I said in a previous post, I owned an original near mint copy of Vol 4 Australian Vertigo Swirl, and I much preferred the Rhino and sold the Swirl LP.

6. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

Thanks. I'm going to order that 2011 Rhino version before it becomes scarce.

7. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

I found a Rhino the other day and it sounds great! The best I ever had.

8. Vinyl Fan 1973

Hmmm your giving me an idea of picking another one up and keeping it sealed for a rainy day. At this price I'd be crazy not to.

9. Marshall_SLX

I am considering getting all the older Rhinos (have MOR, Paranoid, Vol 4, have heard SBS) i like the ones i have even Paranoid which gets a bad rap but its an interesting listen. If you are a casual fan and dont want the hassle of getting quality originals then just get these older Rhinos while you still can and be done with Sabbath vinyl.

10. vinylguy4

vinylguy4 Forum Resident

I had the same happen on a (CB) Vol 4 and SBS , really bad distorted sound on side 2. I bought a second copy of Vol 4 and it played properly.
    So, seems like there was a bad day at the pressing plant.

vinylguy4

puelche likes this.
  11. puelche

puelche Forum Resident

Oh, I see! In my copy the whole album plays nice, except for Supernaut (my favorite track btw). Maybe I should buy another copy or a nice sounding CD... :sigh:

12. vinylguy4

vinylguy4 Forum Resident

OK, my copy was not the same, the whole second side was distorted, not just one song.

vinylguy4

13. Vinyl Fan 1973

Has anyone ever noticed talking in the left channel at the beginning of FX? I'm playing my Japan SHM at the moment and I've just noticed this for the first time! It's probably my fave Sabbath album, and I've heard it hundreds of times, but I never picked up on this detail before??

14. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Maybe you tend to make a frig run for a beer during FX?

Always been there.

15. Vinyl Fan 1973

LOL, are you serious, incredible I've only just noticed that. Do we know who it is and what they are saying?

16. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Ya'll have talked me into the 2011 reissue. I've never listened to Vol 4. This should be interesting.

eric777 and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  17. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

The 2012 gets my vote as does the original cd master. Neither are great but much better in comparison to others. Unfortunately, every version I have heard was too bright. I have not heard the Castle reissue so I can't speak for that one.

18. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

TBH, I've never bothered listening to it that closely to try to make out what's being said. Probably the other guys egging Tony on or something as it was created with him using his cross on an acoustic guitar.

With all respect to the experiment called "FX" for me it's really just a moment of respite before one of the greatest songs in rock history kicks in.

puelche likes this.
  19. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The SHM-SACD is my favorite pressing, even better than my old Vertigo LP.

leonafonte likes this.
  20. Vinyl Fan 1973

Very cool, I didn't know that's how Tony created the track.

21. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

22. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

Just picked up the 2011 CB Rhino. Sounds pretty good to me - or as good as this album will ever sounds. Perhaps the original UK vinyl betters it but to be honest the thought of running the used vinyl lottery on what is a fairly pricey record put me off.

23. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Why does this album have no bass in comparison with the first 3 BS albums? (I am only familiar with the US WB cd)

24. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I think you need to find the "Vol. 4: Worst sounding version" thread. ;)

Seriously, that CD is so awful. Ironically, the original US LP of Vol. 4 (Warner greenie) had HUGE bass. Maybe too much, IMO.

The bass isn't as distinct on much of Vol.4, but it shouldn't sound as drastic as what you describe.

Jose Jones likes this.
  25. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident