Black Sabbath's Vol. 4: Best sounding version?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Agent of Fortune, Jul 9, 2015.

1. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Has anybody explained why "Wheels of Confusion" on the 2016 WB "Vol. 4" runs 12 seconds shorter than the other cd versions out there?

2. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

The fade out is shorter.

3. Music_dude

Music_dude Forum Resident

Why would they do that?

yesstiles likes this.
  4. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I recall that the '96 CD had extra music at the end that wasn't heard on the original releases. So maybe the '16 went back to the way it was on the original.

hi_watt likes this.
  5. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Vol.4. Snowblind.

WB 2016 vs Sanctuary 2009.

The WB sounds nice to my ears. I'm not keen on the Sanctuary.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    sandimascharvel and yesstiles like this.
  6. Music_dude

Where did that extra piece of music on the 96 version come from? Any idea why it was included only on the 96 release and nowhere else? (Not even on the original release as far as I'm aware).

7. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I believe it has been reported here that it first appeared on the 1976 Nems LP reissue. Sounds like a guide track or something that was underneath the whole outro ("The Straightener").

Not sure there ever has been an answer to your second question. Engineer error? Special surprise? Don't think anybody knows.

8. Efus

Efus Senior Member

The WB has no midrange, it's real sizzle on the high end especially on those cymbals.
    Sanctuary sounds clearly boosted in the midrange. (Which I believe is what is noted about the UK Porky cut)

Not wild about either soundclip, but I'd take the Sanctuary over the WB 2016.

9. zen

zen Senior Member

It's also included on the 2009 re-master and the Creative Sounds CD.

10. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I've never gone back to the Sanctuary. It sounds even worse on a stereo.

11. Efus

Efus Senior Member

I got the 2009 Pearce on vinyl, cut by another engineer.
    I was not real impressed with it, bought the Bellman and liked it much better.
    I'm assuming that Pearce was using the original UK tapes, whereas the Bellman version was probably dug out of Warners vaults here in the US.

Sabbath is so weird in what gets released and how.

12. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Very well said, I think Jeff Carney was where I first read about the mids (he might have said upper mids) being boosted on the Porky and I definitely agreed with him. IMHO not that it was a bad choice for this album. It just gave that cut a very distinct sound.

13. sandimascharvel

sandimascharvel Forum Resident

Can anyone describe the differences between the original WB CD and 1986 Castle?

I only have the original WB and 2016. The lack of midrange on the 2016 really affects the guitar tone and vocals and it has the long dropout in the first track. The WB has midrange but has little low end and is bright. This is the only 1970-78 title that I don't prefer the 2016 over the WB but I wish there was a better choice for CD.

John Bliss likes this.
  14. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Night and day.

Just get it. As long as your CD player decodes Pre-Emphasis, the '86 is made to be cranked. Not bright. Great mids and nice bass.

BlueSpeedway, hi_watt, Hermes and 2 others like this.
  15. sandimascharvel

sandimascharvel Forum Resident

Thank you very much for the info. Are there any pressing differences between the U.K. and France pressings? Does it have the right channel dropout in "Wheels of Confusion" at 4:53 right when Ozzy begins "Yeah, when you're gone" that the 2016 has, or any other dropouts?

16. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

No difference in any pressing from France, Japan or UK. No difference in NELCD or CLACD except NELCD has a bonus track from Live At Last.

I'm not big on worrying about dropouts, so I can't answer your other question.

sandimascharvel and Music_dude like this.
  17. Music_dude

The 2009 sounds a lot like the 86 Castle, just a bit louder with more of a boost to it.

sandimascharvel likes this.
  18. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

You're sort of contradicting yourself. :) How can a 2016 CD release be the best on CD there is, if the masters have deteriorated?

Music_dude likes this.
  19. Music_dude

The 2016 has too much high end for my taste... the cymbals are overpowering.

20. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Having just received a copy of the 2012 version with only my old WB for comparison.

My observations,
    As noted cymbals are much more present in new version, IMO serves the music.
    Pierce 2012 master just seems to catch more detail.
    Pierce 2012 master has the guitar less in your face, which for a minute I wasn't sure I liked, until I played the WB a second time.
    The pierce version has warmth.
    It's damn nice to not have to buy vinyl or some big $$ special edition to get a decent mastering.

zen, sathvyre and Hermes like this.
  21. razorball

razorball Forum Resident

Who is Pierce? I have a 2011 Chris Bellman, and it sounds really good.

22. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Andy Pierce mastered Sabbath in 2009 and 2012.. Some like it some don't..

Music_dude likes this.
  23. Music_dude

For Volume 4, the 2009 cd smokes the 2016, imho.

zen likes this.
  24. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

My quest isn't over. I would appreciate if anybody can comment on sound differences in LP versions.
    UK Porky LP
    Green US Warner
    Later US Warner maybe up to the 80s

What versions don't have dropouts and sound as one would presume the band wanted.
    Thanks

25. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

UK Porky is heavy on the midrange. Sound is open and airy.

Green US Warner that I have has a really warm, very bassy sound. But there are surely many cuts even just of the greenie.

"Later US versions" is a bit too wide reaching. Warner repressed this album so many times it would be difficult to narrow this question down. Most I've heard are quite decent.

BDC likes this.