Black Vinyl Shoes

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gottenbold, Apr 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gottenbold

gottenbold Forum Resident Thread Starter

Years and years ago I picked up a couple of Shoes albums on vinyl, but I've never got round to listening to them till this week.

I've listened to the first side of "Black Vinyl Shoes" a couple of times and really liked it . To my ears it sounds like a mix of power pop and new wave with a dash of 80s C86 jangle pop. I love the slightly uneven production, with the boxy, almost too loud drums. The guitar sounds are great.

I've also got "Silhouette" to try. Is "Black Vinyl Shoes" their finest hour?

2. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

No, I think their finest hour was Present Tense. But they have never made a bad album. Silhouette I would say is the weakest, though there are still some great songs on it.

3. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I would say Black Vinyl Shoes is their best, but the earlier Bazooka is also worthy. Numero Group released vinyl on some of their early stuff a number of years back and put out Pre-Tense, the demos for the Present Tense album, which is actually better than the released album due to the songs not being overcooked in the studio as they were on the official release.
    Also, Ignition from 2012 is an incredibly good album, all the power pop moves still intact and energized. A must have in my opinion.

dlemaudit and notesofachord like this.
  4. gottenbold

Thanks for your thoughts. Sadly the "Present Tense/Tongue Twister" twofer CD is currently £136 on Amazon!

5. ralphb

Pre-Tense and Bazooka are still available from Numero for $15.00 each on vinyl if that's your thing, and the Ignition cd is $10.00 on Amazon. All are worth having.

melstapler likes this.
  6. gottenbold

Thanks!

7. PooreBoy

PooreBoy Forum Resident

I purchased Present Tense on cassette when it first came out in the late '70s. It doesn't have a bad song on it imho.
    I was lucky enough to pick up a sealed copy on vinyl a few years ago and I still think it's a great album! :)

rockerreds likes this.
  8. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I played Black Vinyl Shoes by The Shoes for many friends when it was first released. It just had this weird ambience about it, probably because of its low budget recorded-in-the-living-room sound. It was re-issued in 2012 on Numero Uno.

Also worth seeking out is the 1978 Bomp! 45 with Tomorrow Night / Okay . Tomorrow Night is a different version than what is on the Present Tense LP. I'm not sure if it has been release digitally? Okay is also a different version and can be found on the Destination: BOMP! compilation

9. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Shoes - Okay original Bomp! single 1978

MikeM and rene smalldridge like this.
  10. Twangy

Twangy Forum Resident

I bought that Bomp single first when it came out in '78, then later found an ORIGINAL BVS with the inserts, that Numero has also used on their reissue....you can definitely hear how Shoes kept improving their songs and musicianship along the way.....all this stuff was such a breath of fresh air for a teenager like me in 1978-9, and lots of magazines at the time like Bomp, Trouser Press, NY Rocker, etc were great resources at the time to track this stuff down!!! And i HUGELY prefer the original version of "Tomorrow Night" on the 45 and the second version of "Okay" on the 45 as well...

11. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Present Tense was their peak IMO.

art, rockerreds and PooreBoy like this.
  12. Jack o' the Shadows

Jack o' the Shadows Live and Dubious

"Curiosity" is the best thing they ever did, and that is my final word on the matter.

13. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

The summer rain...n..n...n...n...n.....n....n....n.....

MikeM likes this.
  14. fretbuzzed

fretbuzzed Forum Resident

for those interested Cherry Red has just released 3 cd box set Black Vinyl Shoes anthology 73-78 for £18
    got mine delivered yesterday, not got round to giving it a spin yet but will do asap over the coming days.

DISC ONE:
    BLACK VINYL SHOES
    1. BOYS DON’T LIE
    2. DO YOU WANNA GET LUCKY?
    3. SHE’LL DISAPPEAR
    4. TRAGEDY
    5. WRITING A POSTCARD
    6. NOT ME
    7. SOMEONE FINER
    8. CAPITAL GAIN
    9. FATAL
    10. RUNNING START
    11.OKAY
    12. IT REALLY HURTS
    13. FIRE FOR AWHILE
    14. IF YOU’D STAY
    15. NOWHERE SO FAST

BONUS TRACKS
    16. CAPITAL OFFENSE
    17. SHE’LL DISAPPEAR (Demo) *
    18. LUCKY TAIL
    19. I WANNA HIDE
    20. TOMORROW NIGHT (Bomp! Version)
    21. OKAY (Bomp! Version)
    22. I’LL TAKE YOU AWAY
    23. FULL BITE
    24. BABY’S GONE
    25. EVER AGAIN
    26. LIKE I TOLD YOU (Second Version) *
    27. KAREN (Acoustic Demo) *
    28. I’LL TAKE YOU AWAY (Alternative Version) *

* previously unissued

DISC TWO:
    BAZOOKA
    1. PINHEADS
    2. MOVE IT OR LOSE IT
    3. ROCK YOUR OWN
    4. ALONG WITH LOVE
    5. LOVE TOOK A TURN
    6. ALONE BUT SATISFIED 7. NEW MEAT
    8. I’M BROKEN
    9. THE ATLANTIC
    10. MY ANISETTE
    11. SNAP!
    12. EDUCATED
    13. LIKE I TOLD YOU BONUS TRACK
    14. I CAN MAKE IT (Demo) *
    * previously unissued

DISC THREE:
    ONE IN VERSAILLES
    1. DANCE IN YOUR SLEEP
    2. DOIGETSOSHY
    3. UN DANS VERSAILLES
    4. KRISTINE
    5. SOMETHING I CAN’T SEE
    6. EGGROLL ROCK
    7. SONG FOR HER
    8. ONE NIGHT
    9. NO, I DON’T
    10. THE SUN
    11. ONE IN VERSAILLES
    12. BANJO

BONUS TRACKS
    13. MY HUSBAND’S HOME!
    14. NOTHING MEANS MORE
    15. I’D LIKE TO TAKE YOU OUT AGAIN (from “Heads or Tails”, 1974) *
    16. ROCK’N’ROLL FREAK
    * previously unissued

15. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Thanks very much for the tip. Ordered.

I played Black Vinyl Shoes to death back in the day, along with the BOMP! single of "Tomorrow Night"/"Okay."

Present Tense
    has some good tracks (e.g., "Your Very Eyes"), but they completely ruined "Tomorrow Night" with the remake of it on this album. I'll never in a million years understand the "off" note on the chorus or the decision to end it cold, as opposed to letting it drift away into the ether as on the single. The last 30 seconds of the single version is one of my favorite moments ever in a lifetime of the music I love.

16. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

thanks so much for letting us know , fantastic news

17. Twangy

Twangy Forum Resident

the box is really nice, booklet is VERY informative....hadn't listed to "Black Vinyl Shoes" in its entirety in many years, and i knew every song and every word, due to listening to the PVC version of BVS in '78 whilst i was in high school in the late 70s about a thousand times.......worth picking up for sure.

18. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

great package which i picked up last night at my local store on the way back from work , great week end ahead.
    booklet is super thick indeed . Good for Cherry Red , a UK label , to pick that one up.

19. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Way underrated band.

This looks like an excellent collection. I have the "As Is" collection from several years ago that the band released. I see it's quite rare these days but covers much of the same ground and comes from the master tapes. Not to mention all the vinyl reissues of a few years ago.

20. I'd love to hear some reviews on the mastering of this new Cherry Red release. Looks like a nice set!

patient_ot likes this.
  21. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

This thread does not mean what I thought it meant.

[​IMG]

22. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

Just bought a used Present Tense a few wks ago. Very Good! I have heard of Shoes for yrs but this was my first by them.

dlemaudit likes this.
  23. ralphb

Go for the box set, at 23 bucks you can't go wrong. Black Vinyl Shoes is classic and Bazooka isn't far behind, One In Versailles is not quite up there with those but does have it's moments and is well worth owning.

stereoptic and andy749 like this.
  24. ralphb

Just a heads up, this is a today only sale at Numero, all 4 lps for 20 bucks.
    SHOES IN STOCKINGS

[​IMG]

HarvG likes this.
  25. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

Thanks! Just ordered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.