Blackmore on Satriani

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by townsend, May 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So what was he, a flutist?

2. It was also listening to him where I learned the usefulness of bends as a save when you hit some clams.

dkmonroe and mcchocchoc like this.
  3. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

ProTools didnt exist in the 80s.

4. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

[​IMG]

showtaper likes this.
  5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

yea but the thing is, each generation has the info from the previous ... there are kids that play way better than me, and when i am practiced up, i'm pretty good ....
    i remember someone saying something along the lines of "hendrix wasn't as good as blah blah is now" ... the clever dude that replied said "well criticising hendrix for not using this or that technique would be like criticising abraham lincoln for not having a nuclear disarmament policy"
    there is a lot of learning going on these days ... but not a lot of pioneering

6. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

[​IMG]

7. mark winstanley

well he was a guitarist and he sat in a specific zone .. he isn't hendrix or vai by any means, but he wasn't really a lead player

8. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

I THINK HE IS ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!:)
    More feel and less mathematics!:agree:

9. mark winstanley

the feel over technique argument has been going on since some clown said that eric clapton wasn't a hair on yngwie malmsteen's @r$e ... perhaps earlier, but that statement started a whole irrational fight between feel and speed or technique ... just because someone may be playing fast, doesn't mean it has no feeling. and just because someone is playing slow, doesn't mean that it does have feeling.
    it is music, love of various forms of music all comes down to subjectivity, and one man's bacon is another man's dirt. it's all about the music/song that you're listening to.

10. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

11. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

Google-ing......crumhorn..........click........YIKES!!!!!

12. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

I recall a Robert Christgau review of Whitesnake's 1989 "Slip of the Tongue" album, the one where Steve Vai was called in to play a bunch of guitar parts.
    RG says that Vai "operated" all the guitars on the album, and that struck a chord with me: IMO, what guys like Vai and Satriani do is more along the lines of "operating" the guitar rather than "playing" it, they are like highly skilled technicians at a software or biotech lab operating a sophisticated piece of advanced, computerized electronic machinery.

13. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Made in Korea

14. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

That's really funny. :laugh:

15. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

Consumer Guide Album
    Whitesnake: Slip of the Tongue [Geffen, 1989]
    They got lucky, and they don't intend to let go. With fast-gun-for-hire Steve Vai operating all guitars and who knows what other geegaws, they've consolidated their sound into essence of arena: all pomp, flash, male posturing, and sentimentality, this is now the Worst Band in the World. So you just move over, Journey. (Hey--where is Journey?) D

Robert Christgau: Album: Whitesnake: Slip of the Tongue

Pinknik and Malina like this.
  16. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Yeah but there were such things as click tracks.

17. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

“It’s not the note you play that’s the wrong note – it’s the note you play afterwards that makes it right or wrong.” - Miles Davis

mark winstanley likes this.
  18. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Kurt was the only guitar player in a power trio, so he did have to play some lead guitar by default. He usually stayed with quoting part of the melody, but he wrote the songs too, so his parts were integral.

Similar to the George Harrison (ahem) "debate," Nirvana didn't really need a lead guitar wizard. Kurt got the songs across, and he did it with style. I like his playing, and would honestly rather hear Nirvana than anything Joe Satriani has ever done in his life.

19. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Christgau was a smart guy, and good for a laugh. Not saying he was entirely wrong about Whitesnake, but he is (was?) the very essence of the holier-than-thou rock journalist, almost to the point that if Bob disliked something, it was a virtual guarantee that I'd like it.

20. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

Black Sabbath: Black Sabbath (Warner Bros., 1970) The worst of the counterculture on a plastic platter--******** necromancy, drug-impaired reaction time, long solos, everything. They claim to oppose war, but if I don't believe in loving my enemies I don't believe in loving my allies either, and I've been worried something like this was going to happen since the first time I saw a numerology column in an underground newspaper. C-

Black Sabbath: Paranoid (Warner Bros., 1970) They do take heavy to undreamt-of extremes, and I suppose I could enjoy them as camp, like a horror movie--the title cut is definitely screamworthy. After all, their audience can't take that Lucifer bit seriously, right? Well, depends on what you mean by serious. Personally, I've always suspected that horror movies catharsized stuff I was too rational to care about in the first place. C-

Black Sabbath: Master of Reality (Warner Bros., 1971)
    As an increasingly regretful spearhead of the great Grand Funk switch, in which critics redefined GFR as a 1971 good old-fashioned rock and roll band even though I've never met a critic (myself included) who actually played the records, I feel entitled to put this in its place. Grand Funk is like an American white blues band of three years ago--dull. Black Sabbath is English--dull and decadent. I don't care how many rebels and incipient groovies are buying. I don't even care if the band members believe in their own Christian/satanist/liberal murk. This is a dim-witted, amoral exploitation. C-

Souljaboytellem.com
    [ColliPark Music/Interscope, 2007]

Boy do the haters get busy on this 16-year-old. But scrutinize the "superman" matter (look it up) and you'll see that even if he thought he was sneaking something outlandishly filthy onto a pop record, his fans thought he was inventing a dance that involved flying, thus furthering the presumption of innocence so crucial to his cute. Unlike his crunk forebears, he's not into pimping or dealing or even strip clubs--"Booty Meat" is as explicit as his carnality gets, and not only is he looking not touching, he's hoping an amateur will "turn around just like a pro." He's still boy enough to worry about those F's, and the most winning of his many winning songs was written to, and on, his Sidekick 3. There are enough sonic strokes here to keep the wrong bizzer in ringtone rappers for a year. But Soulja Boy's spiritual secret is that with less subcultural support than, say, Be Your Own Pet, he's reached the top of his world on a few tips from ex-partner Young Kwon and the loyalty of human sidekick Arab. You can hear how tickled he is about it. A-

So much credibility.

wgriel, mertoo, Doggiedogma and 5 others like this.
  21. Django

Django Forum Resident

Meh. I playing 29 years now & I love all different approaches. The technical & the not so technical.

22. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

I love the cheeky title Allan Holdworth - a guy who has prodigious chops and can improvise brilliantly - gave his live album:All Night Wrong. :)

[​IMG]

mark winstanley and mcchocchoc like this.
  23. mcchocchoc

mcchocchoc Forum Resident

Hahaha. Steve Vai "operates" the guitar amazingly well. He's one of the greats. I've been a fan since he first joined Zappa's band. One of my all time favorite players, then again so are Frank Zappa, Gregg Ginn (Black Flag), Paul Leary (Butthole Surfers), D. Boon, Jeff Cotton, Bill Harkleroad, John McLaughlin, Tres Manos . . . and many others. Some very technical, some not at all.

Steve taking that Whitesnake gig was a calculated move on his part and it worked out VERY well for him. He sold well over a million of copies of Passion & Warfare, which was recorded on his own dime at his home studio, largely thanks to that move.

24. mark winstanley

tell me the guitar in this isn't passionate ... if you don't like it, that's fine but don't start suggesting that someone has no feel because of some wangfangled idea that you are the master of all that is feeling

25. mark winstanley

i wasn't knocking cobain

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.