Blade Runner 2049

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ponkine, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrewHarris

DrewHarris Forum Resident

For someone who wasn't excited for this movie from the start, these shorts have been gaining my interest. I won't doubt the the movie will look good but I am worried about the plot, especially since it's over two hours but I'll still see it since curiosity already has the best of me.

Kubricker likes this.
  2. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Scott222C and jriems like this.
  3. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Can't wait to see it. I'm actually going to a movie theater for the first time since 2006 because I don't want to wait for the Bluray.

CrazyCatz, gonz, klockwerk and 3 others like this.
  4. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

I’ve been excited since the film was announced. I remember Harrison Ford stating that it was one of the best scripts he’d ever read.

SuntoryTime likes this.
  5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Name me an actor who doesn’t say that about every movie they’re in. It’s right up there with “I fell in love with the script.” And about the director: “he taught me so much as an actor.”

Scott222C and SteveM like this.
  6. Bowie Fett

For some actors...but not Harrison Ford.

SuntoryTime likes this.
  7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I don’t know why people worry about promoting this movie it’s going to make a zillion dollars just because of the title. Hence the franchise machine rolls on.

8. sacredoatmeal

sacredoatmeal Well-Known Member

(my two cents)

Non-reasons for seeing this:
    -It's Blade Runner
    -Harrison Ford
    -Ryan Gosling

Reasons for seeing this:
    -Denis Villeneuve
    -Roger Deakins

FVDnz likes this.
  9. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Not sure about that. The original was a flop, wasn't it? I'm sure this one will do fine, but it could underperform. Ryan Gosling isn't exactly box office gold. And neither is Harrison Ford when not playing Han Solo/Indiana Jones/Jack Ryan. While Villanueve is a respected director, he's not exactly a household name. I'm hoping for good things and like what I see so far, but I don't think a box office smash is a lock.

Ghostworld likes this.
  10. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Household director? I think Tarantino was the last one and that's 25 years ago. I'll never hear anyone say that they're seeing a movie because of a director anymore(if it's not the old names) Not among my friends or familiy. Nope, not even C Nolan

11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I agree with all that you say but you have to consider this is “Blade Runner” one of the established Classics of sci-fi. In the same way that “the force awakens“ was a lock to make a lot of loot, I think Blade Runner can expect the same kind of “Well I got to see it” box office reaction. It may not be Star Wars but it is freaking Blade Runner! I hope it’s good. But I sure would’ve preferred somebody except Mr. La La Land in the role. But if the new film is faithful to Ridleys Scott’s dreary, downbeat, mumbled film, then Ryan gosling is the perfect actor for the part!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  12. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Reviews are rolling in - extremely positive so far - run time for the movie 164 minutes.

Blade Runner 2049

SuntoryTime, FVDnz and Yovra like this.
  13. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

I wonder how long the 'Director's cut' will be?

14. Bowie Fett

There’s only one cut :cool:

15. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Believe that and I’ve got this bridge....

klockwerk likes this.
  16. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I've been waiting to see what the reviews are. I thought it seemed a near impossible task to have a sequel that's not just a pale pastiche when I first heard of this. Reason? Phil Dick has been gone over 35 years. :cry:

17. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

They have those short catch up films set before 2049.........but I doubt the director will allow another director's work to be cut into 'his' version.

18. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Even though he didn't officially have 'final cut' on Blade Runner 2049, director Denis Villeuneve has stated categorically the theatrical cut is absolutely his director's cut... that's good enough for me.

Mind you, David Ayers said the same thing about Suicide Squad, but I don't believe that for a second...

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  19. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I'm glad early reviews have been overwhelmingly positive thus far. Can't wait!

20. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Can anyone post an early review?

21. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

SuntoryTime and beccabear67 like this.
  22. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

PH416156 and beccabear67 like this.
  23. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

Definitely looking forward to this. I think Denis Villeneuve is a fantastic director. I think Ryan Gosling is pretty great as well, I loved him in La La Land, Drive and The Nice Guys so I'm hoping he brings it for this film as well. The original Blade Runner is one of my favorite films of all time(I also really enjoyed the book by Phillip K. Dick) so I really hope this new one is worthy and based on the reviews so far, it seems like it!

SuntoryTime, PH416156 and beccabear67 like this.
  24. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

:thumbsup:

Mr. Grieves likes this.
  25. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Ridley Scott did not direct , but produced the film correct? Looking forward to this The original is a cult classic !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.