Blade Runner original Vangelis soundtrack on 2017 vinyl reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mr_Vinyl, Jan 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was a little surprised to see this in the New Realeases section of two record stores today. I've previously had the ''soundtrack'' played by an orchestra which, at the time, I thought was the soundtrack, which I later discovered wasn't. Anyway, I've gotten rid of that record a million years ago. Although I've heard of the official soundtrack being available on cd in the past, I've never bothered getting it - especially when I already had two versions of the dvd. So I picked this LP up today, hearing the original Vangelis for the first time - and what a joy it was. The pressing as well is first rate - no clicks or pops anywhere. There is no mention of the mastering, except a 1994 copyright at the back, and that the LP was made in the E.U. Regardless, it sounds great, and the music is great. I'm not really into soundtracks, but this one is a keeper!

2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

You should know that album is not the full soundtrack. It's an album made up of parts of the original score and other music. The actual score has never been officially released.

klockwerk and VinylMario like this.
  3. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, it has always been a problematic release, from what I've read. Incidentally, I think the other music was part of the soundtrack, but was never used for it. Perhaps they were cut along with the associated scenes.

4. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

5. DannyC

DannyC Forum Resident

TBF some of the tracks that ended up on the films soundtrack were basically old Vangelis tunes (that haunting sax number springs to mind) - so the mish mash of ideas and original work v old work exists both in the soundtrack and in the film

6. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

16s and Mr_Vinyl like this.
  7. 16s

16s Forum Resident

i have that red Audio Fidelity version. Its pretty nice. Good pressing.

Yost and Jvalvano like this.
  8. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

The only downside is that its 200 USD.

9. 16s

16s Forum Resident

..ah.. i got mine when it was released so it only cost $20

klockwerk likes this.
  10. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Has anyone heard the new vinyl reissue? If so, have you compared it to the SACD? I don’t have either, and I’m wondering if the SACD is enough of an improvement to justify the cost.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.