Blank CDs for stand alone recorders

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by reg slade, Mar 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reg slade

reg slade Forum Resident Thread Starter

anywhere I can get the blank recordable ones? these aren't the blank music CDs for computers, it's the home burner stand alone unit...have they gone away forever?

Thx

2. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

You might try ebay for some new old stock (NOS), but I believe the coded CD-Rs for standalone recorders are no longer being manufactured.

3. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Which are very good discs. Those are reliable in anything which needs Music CD-R.

5. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

There's plenty still available here in the UK. I order 10 discs at a time - they come in plastic wallets, so they fit through my letterbox. Maxell XLII mostly.

6. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I've been using CD-RW discs in my standalone, then ripping them and backing up. Helps with both the clutter and scarcity issues.

56GoldTop, LA2019 and pinktree1 like this.
  7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Except for the fact that they are hard to find for those who need "Music CD-RW" media to use one. Tascam owners don't. Marantz professional and consumer standalones have the Music CD-R and RW Media only annoyance.

8. brianplowe

brianplowe Forum Resident

I buy a music cd-rw to record on the stand alone then rip to the computer, from there you can burn to cheaper non music or audio cd-r and then reuse the cd-rw.

56GoldTop and pinktree1 like this.
  9. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

Look at a Walgreens store. Make sure they say Cd-R Music on packaging.Look for Maxell brand.

:frog:

showtaper and forthlin like this.
  10. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

11. brianplowe

brianplowe Forum Resident

12. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I've seen them at places like Walgreens/CVS/Rite Aid (are they still in business?) You might want to stock up as I think there could be a day where the "music' cd blanks might disappear. If at all possible I'd make the switch to using a computer to burn cds. The blanks are very cheap and I think you'll find the process simple & fast. :)

13. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

I do the same. Bought a bunch of TDK CD-RW's a while back. Should last me quite a while.

14. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Still easy to obtain on Amazon UK, and they are very inexpensive.

15. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

For my HHB Burn IT burner I stocked up on HHB discs as they work then best with it.

16. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Sometimes the A to D converters in standalone recorders are of exceptional quality. Other than that, computer recording and editing is a more flexible way to go.

Spinning discs is so last century it really is.

17. John1026

John1026 Member

You can use your CD recorder to format CD-R data discs into CD-R audio discs. That's how mine works.

18. harby

harby Forum Resident

I've never heard of such a thing before, do you have more info on this?

The CD-R music disc required for standalone recorders is kind of like DRM for CDs, and like DATs, the RIAA cartel makes money off each one sold even if you are recording your baby's first words.

A special Disc Application Code present in the ATIP information of a CD-DA Recordable/Rewritable disc’s pregroove wobble identifies it specifically for audio use. Consumer audio recorders are programmed to reject discs not containing the correct code. By adopting this safeguard various countries and other authorizing jurisdictions may selectively apply copyright levies to the price of blank discs intended for consumer audio use while exempting those destined for computer or professional applications.

The ATIP is stored in the shape of the pregroove. The actual groove that the music is recorded in has its own "wobble" shape, with FM-modulated information stored on it at 3150 bits/second. This is not re-writeable information. It has lots of information, like the timecode and:

4.4.1.3 Disc Application Code: U1..U7
    This code distinguishes between discs used for different applications. The two main application categories are: "Discs for unrestricted use", and "Discs for restricted use".
    Within the category "Discs for restricted use", an additional encoding may be used for the identification of Special Disc Applications.

U1 = 0 : disc for restricted use
    U2..U7 = 000000 : Reserved for General purpose use
    U2..U7 = others : Reserved
    U1 = 1 U2..U7 = 000000 : Disc for unrestricted use U2..U7 = others : Reserved
    Discs for restricted use are meant to be used in Professional CD-recorders only.
    Within this category the General Purpose discs can be used for any application.
    Special Purpose discs, carrying a registered Identification Code, are meant for that registered application only.
    Registration of the Identification Codes can be requested from Royal Philips Electronics (for detailed address information see: “Conditions of publication” in this document).
    Discs for unrestricted use may be used in Consumer CD-recorders and in Professional CD-recorders.
    Another thing you and I might not know until we read specs like ECMA-395 is that the recorder model and serial number is recorded to the disc and is a mandatory feature.

19. John1026

John1026 Member

Sorry, I mispoke. They cant format CD-R discs into music discs. I just tried and it didnt work. But the PC can format them for music and data.

20. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

Memorex CD-R Digital Audio 40X 10Pk Shrinkwrap from American-Digital

Memorex CD-R Digital Audio 40X 10Pk Shrinkwrap

[​IMG]
    Actual product may differ slightly from the image above.
    Memorex CD-R Digital Audio 40X 10Pk Shrinkwrap
    MR029842
    200 Discs $52.96
    100 Discs $29.99 [​IMG]
    50 Discs $23.96
    10 Discs $4.99 [​IMG]
    DETAILS AND SPECIFICATIONS
    Memorex CD-R Digital Audio 40X 10Pk with Shrinkwrap
    Memorex 99055 40x 700MB 80 Min Music CD-R Discs, 10, Memorex 32020029842 99055, information Capacity. 700 MB. Offers the best playback and recording compatibility with computer and home audio recorders and players.
    Perfect for saving data files, or backing. Up your favorite music.

Muzyck likes this.
  21. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Micro Center carries Verbatim music cd-r's. They usually go for $5.99 for 25.

22. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Have you used these? Memorex is generally considered coaster material.

23. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

I haven't used music cds in many years but I seem to recall they were OK. Can't say for sure how they are now.

24. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Thanks. Problem is if you used them years ago, they probably wouldn't play now. They have a terrible error rate.

25. John1026

John1026 Member

What the OP is asking for are music CD-R discs that are for CD recorder decks. CD recorder decks require a special CD-R disc that is for music only. A CD-R disc that is designed for CD writers on a PC will not work on a CD recorder deck.

Jose Jones likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.